1. jandtjil

I recently purchased a Taurus OSS, the sights are different than most target sights I have learned to shoot with over the years, where POA is above front sight. In this case, the front dot is supposed to cover the POA.

I bought the gun for home def, so low light is a possibility, I'm just not sure that the current sights are right for that scenario. Even with a light on the rail, the front sight might be very dark, with the white dot NOT exactly at the tip of the front sight, I suspect I'd be punchin holes a bit low Am I on/off track?

I've never really given much thought to night sights before, so I'm open to ideas on the use.

So far I love the gun, recoil with 5 1/4" of barrel is scant and very controllable.

Current sights are simple white dot Novaks.

JJ

jandtjil , May 15, 2009
  2. KYOUNG

the Taurus ive seen have the 8 sight, you stack the dots like an 8 and the top dot is the point of impact. Is it a night sight? My Sig has 3 dot night sights and they are highly visible in a dark room... ...

KYOUNG , May 16, 2009
  3. jandtjil

If they are night sights, they're in braille. Are your sights Sig or aftermarket?

jandtjil , May 16, 2009
  4. JCyrbok

you could always replace them with Trijicon (or similar brands) of tritium night sights. I have them on both my off duty and duty hand guns and they are nice. My Glock26 is 11 years old and the sights show no noticiable sign of getting dim. My Duty glock23 has been through hell and back SEVERAL times and the sights are still bright and accurate.

As for hitting low due to the way the sight is set up, dont worry about it, you are talking about across the room/down the hall engagement distances for a home defense scenario. Anything less that 10 yards and I do not even look at my sights during the day or in low light and can consistenly make head shots on standard police qualification target (takes some pratice point shooting but its worth it).

Even if you were using the sights at that distance the POI vs the POA might mean you hit the bad guy in the bridge of the nose instead of right between the eyes, and I doubt that it would be even that big of a difference at these distances. Now if you were trying to shoot bowling pins at 50yards then there will be a noticible difference I'm quessing.

Hope this helps,

J-

JCyrbok , May 16, 2009
  5. KYOUNG

Sig night sights!!!

KYOUNG , May 17, 2009
  6. jandtjil

Thanks for the replies gents.

JCyrbok 11+ years. . my kind of maintenance interval! Good point on the distance too, so far I've only fired 100 rds, today I will take the Mrs shooting and bring the tgt in to a realistic distance, good advice.

jandtjil , May 17, 2009