Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave04

What tie rods do you recommend? One is really loose so I am going to replace all four. Heard Moog is decent. Guy at the Auto parts store said they have Moog QuickSteer or just plan Moog. Quicksteer cheaper less durable. So not those.

Dave04 , Feb 7, 2017
  2. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

I've got to say that if youhaven't up dated to the newer 08 steering system do so. We've had really good luck with the tierod ends on the new design. I personlaly had well over 200,000 miles on my set and they were as tight as the day I installed them when I traded in the truck. I'm currently trying a set of XRF ball joints on my 2013 so far I like them. They offer tierod ends also if these ball joints hold up I'll give the other suspension parts a try.

EDankievitch , Feb 7, 2017
  3. cerberusiam Staff Member

I have to say stay away from the factory style steering upgrade, it is worse than the original for a lot of reasons. The Synergy t-type seems to be the best solution but even it has some drawbacks.

There is not much choice if you have the stock y-type steering, I think Moog is about the only manufacturer any more for those parts. Pretty sure even NAPA's line is made by them.

cerberusiam , Feb 8, 2017
  4. Dave04

So what do you suggest? I have to do something by next weekend. Get parts and work on everything Saturday.

Dave04 , Feb 8, 2017
  5. Dave04

Does the 08 system match up to the 2004 brackets?

Dave04 , Feb 8, 2017
  6. cerberusiam Staff Member

The Synergy system is a bolt in I think, you would need to check and make sure on the pitman arm or if they include one. On the factory style the pitman arm is different and not sure they even have the conversion drag link end anymore.

If you still have the older y-type and you are not off-roading, running lifts, or seeing weird tire wear I would stay with it.

cerberusiam , Feb 8, 2017
  7. Dave04

I am looking at the Synergy upgrade and a track bar as well. I have 2 in leveking kit. Some off roading and bad tire wear in the front.*

Dave04 , Feb 9, 2017
  8. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

If you upgrade to the 08 inverted "T" system you should update to the newer style pitment arm. The old one will work but there is a slilght risk of there being linkage to axle contact when the truck bounces hard. Also I've found the newer pitment arm reduices the bump steer. I've got 5 trucks on the road using the 08 system that I service for both my friends and my self. We have yet to have an issue with the kit. Synergy offers the parts and I belive XRF offers the parts as well. At one time the kit from RAM was the best price but I think that has changed. Also when you do the update you'll be updating the steering damper. Don't waste you'r money on the ram unit go for the Bilsiein from Geino's.

EDankievitch , Feb 9, 2017
  9. cerberusiam Staff Member

With the leveling kit you will find more bump steer than the OE system, and, the vagueness coming off center is more pronounced. Stock height it doesn't seem to be as much of a problem. The stock box also covers a lot of it up. The upgraded box is much more responsive and better road feel so all the little things are enhanced. Don't even bother with the Dodge parts, they are less than adequate. The Synergy system is about as beefy as it can get but no one has really reported a lot of miles on it to test longevity. No real data on using with a leveling\lift either.

The leveling\lift kits change a lot of the geometry so what works with stock height is not the same.

cerberusiam , Feb 9, 2017
  10. Dave04

Just to make sure. Explain bump steer.*

Dave04 , Feb 9, 2017
  11. cerberusiam Staff Member

Simply put, bump steer is the cycling of the suspension causing the steering wheel to move in response. The why is due to the arc the drag link and track bar run as the suspension cycles, when they are matched you get bump steer from the t-type steering. With the y-type the toe changed not the drag link position.

cerberusiam , Feb 9, 2017
  12. jomobco

dodgeoffroad.com also makes a tie rod and drag link kit with heim joints if you're willing to wait months for it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    jomobco , Sep 5, 2017
  13. Regcabguy

Agreed. My friend and I share the same sentiment.
    I had better tracking and less bumpsteer with the original components.
    I've got Synergy's unit in there now. Stout but still doesn't seem to rack as well as stock.

Regcabguy , Sep 6, 2017
  14. Dave04

So far the Synergy upgrade is doing well. I am going to get rid of the leveling kit spacers soon and replace with new 3 in lift carli springs. Maybe a long arm kit. Hopefully get rid of death wobble.

Dave04 , Sep 6, 2017
  15. cerberusiam Staff Member

That won't get rid of DW, just mask it a bit more or maybe not depending on the source. DW has to be fixed at the source which is usually tires and\or shocks.

cerberusiam , Sep 6, 2017
  16. GrantP TDR MEMBER

The replacement of the spacers with the Carli springs is a worthwhile upgrade but I agree it's not going to fix death wobble. I would disagree that the tires/shocks are the primary culprits based on my experience. I've had death wobble running 2.5" Fox remote reservoirs and different tire brands/sizes. For me it's always been something loose in the steering, tie rod ends and especially the track bar. And no, a steering stabilizer won't fix the root cause either if you're wondering. You need to find out what's loose in the front end and go from there. After you have triple checked everything and it's all tight then yes, it could be the tires...just never been the case for me.

GrantP , Sep 6, 2017
  17. Dave04

I will be replacing tires before winter and shocks are new bilstein 5100s.

Dave04 , Sep 6, 2017
  18. mfurrh55

I just replaced my steering with the 09 upgrade made by Moog, the whole thing is more beefier than original, my tie rods were junk and so was one bottom ball joint and drivers side axle u joint, I had the death wobble pulling trailer at 65 mph. Scairy, I still have original pitman arm due to the fact couldn't get it off, will later, I replaced everything while it was apart , wheel hubs too, anyway I only paid 285.00 for Moog upgrade and free shipping

mfurrh55 , Sep 7, 2017