Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParkWiker

my 2005 dodge ram 3500 dually with lance 1181 slidein camper requires constsant correcting while driving on the highway. the camper does shift some weight off the front because of the rear cg of the camper. truck is inspecs when checked. would more positive caster help any?

Ram 359

ParkWiker , Dec 5, 2010
  2. jhenderson

First, check the track bar bushings. Start the truck and have someone shake the wheel gently, side to side, while you look under the truck and watch the track bar. Any movement at the bushings will cause this problem. Replacement bushings are available from Geno's Garage.

jhenderson , Dec 5, 2010
  3. JFought TDR MEMBER

track bark bushing were shot on mine as well 06 100K miles

JFought , Dec 5, 2010
  4. DE Jeeper

Also, check the ball joints. When mine went the 2nd time I had an uncorrectable wonder on the highway.

Aaron

DE Jeeper , Dec 5, 2010
  5. AlaskanCummins

And when you're done chasing your tail on all those first steps, be prepared to buy a steering box from Red Head Steering.

Why Red Head? Because they rebuild them right in their shop in Washington state and they make improvements that other re-builders don't. I can't recall exactly, but it has something to do with the steel balls in the sector shaft area and a few other things.

My steering didn't get back to "normal" (I think it's better now) till I replaced the steering box. This was after a new track bar, ball joints, tie rod update w/damper and an existing steering box brace.

I think Red Head boxes are 315 bucks + shipping.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
    AlaskanCummins , Dec 6, 2010
  6. wcjp

Check Unit Bearings. Bought mine from Rockauto.com

wcjp , Dec 6, 2010
  7. B.G. Smith

I had that problem with the last truck I had when it was brand new. The toe in was negative, a little adjustment and all was fine. Unless you have lots of miles the front end should not be worn enough to replace parts. Your signature doesn't specify but if your truck is not 4X4 it won't have track bar. bg

B.G. Smith , Dec 6, 2010