Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coreyallan

Afternoon Fellas, it’s probably been 20 years and numerous trucks since I posted on there. I’ve come full circle (I think) and have decided to look for a specific truck for a specific task. My buddy has had a 2020 limited 3500 mega cab for a few years, and the truck impresses me every time I’m in it. Its quiet which at this point in life is important, its comfortable and well laid out, and it tows well. While I cant pony up the 80k for a new one, I’’d like to explore what 4th gen might fit the bill. They’ve come along way since my ol 01 53 block nv4500 ECSB! So, after numerous offerings from the big 3, most recently a 19 lariat limited 6.7, I’ve decided that specifically, a 4th gen, CTD, Aisin, crew cab, drw, 4x4 is what I need to get it all done. Meaning I need something to put a slide in camper in and tow the jeep reliably with the safety factor of DRW, + we have a 10k boat we tow on occasion.
    I wish I could just go out and buy something new but its just not in the cards, ideally we’d like to find something with the AS66RC, so 14 and up (correct ?), and under $50k, closer to $40k would also be nice, leather interior, and a 40/20/40 center console. I’m not afraid of miles on a well kept truck, I know their capabilities.
    Here is the question-s, what to look for and what to stay away from in terms of 4th gens specifically and their make/model issues (if any) aside from normal used truck buyers common areas of interest.
    I guess an example of “areas of interest” would be both my 2012 and 2019 F350s needed trac bars, the 12 needed cab mounts, both trucks needed steering dampers, the sunroof in the 12 was fragile. The 12 needed a radiator, both trucks needed cold side intercooler pipes.
    What do 4h gens suffer from, I’ve seen a few TSB items like tailgate somethin, wheel studs, maybe trac bar?
    What do you like about your rig? Hows the seat for the long haul? Is there a difference in seat padding between the leather equip product line? If I plan on towing semi regularly what R&P is a fair compromise, and what was available?
    Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.
    Also, I live in Maine, unfortunately the rust capitol of the lower 48; I dont think I’ve ever purchase a truck in state and this one will be no different. Hence all the questions, what I’m looking for is few and far between up here.

coreyallan , Feb 22, 2023
  2. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

You’ll want to look for the AS69RC behind a CTD. The AS66RC comes behind the C&C trucks with a Hemi.

The 19+ trucks will be as quiet as your buddies, with 13-18’s being a little louder due to the active noise cancellation on 19+.

You may get sticker shock on used trucks. I got more on trade-in on my 18 last August than I paid for it used in 2019, so it sold used with 50K miles on it for a fair amount more than it did used with 3K miles on it. With a custom order on my 2022 it was significantly cheaper than a similar 22 on the lot, and cheaper than many used 18-21 trucks. You may also have a hard time finding what you want in the condition or price range you listed. Just a thought.

Both my 4th gens have been Laramie, HO, Aisin, Auto-Level, front “bench” seat, CC LB 3500’s. Very comfortable for all day drives and tows. Plenty of power on either, but the gearing and added torque on the ‘22 is quite noticeable (thou there are more gearing options on DRW’s vs SRW’s).

Dopey recalls on both, but nothing to complain about. Both great trucks and I would own either of them again (thou the 22 only has 8K miles on it so far).

AH64ID , Feb 22, 2023
    coreyallan likes this.
  3. JLandry TDR MEMBER

JLandry , Feb 22, 2023
  4. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

16-18 but add factory rear air to your list.
    Honestly I don’t hear much difference in noise level compared to 19 and up.

love my 15 but hate backup camera in rear view.

Cummins12V98 , Feb 22, 2023
    coreyallan likes this.
  5. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

It’s reported at 10db, but I don’t think it’s that much.

It is quite noticeable thou, and I have to watch my speedo more as the road noise isn’t a good indicator anymore. 75 is quieter than 55 was.

AH64ID , Feb 22, 2023
  6. coreyallan

Thanks for the correction, appreciate that about the Aisin. I’m under no delusion that it’ll be a tougher find in that price range, I’ll be in the 2014-2015 area I’m sure. I took a couple hours today to search just about every car classified site + CL and Marketplace. There were at lease a dozen that were parked right around 45K give or take, 90-150K miles. I guess we’ll see what pops up in the next couple months. I’ve flown and driven home the last couple trucks and had the 19 delivered from texas. Location doesn’t really matter to me which is a help.

AH64ID likes this.
  7. coreyallan

8. coreyallan

I think I’ll probably end up with a 14-15. Is rear air a necessity?

9. Turbo Terry

Yes I think rear air is needed what your going to do with the truck

Turbo Terry , Feb 23, 2023
  10. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

No but you WILL thank everyone that suggest you getting it. My truck rides GREAT unloaded or with 6k pushing down from my 24k 5er.

To pick between a 14 and 15 I would take the 15, the 14 has a double radiator they quit using and biggest reason is the 15 is the first year for the air ride.

My rear ride height is exactly the same with or without a load. 6k in pic.

2465805A-8FCC-4DB7-AAAC-A20B51E772B3.jpeg #ad

CA40F078-1DC7-48E1-A357-FB1EE179D784.jpeg #ad
    2465805A-8FCC-4DB7-AAAC-A20B51E772B3.jpeg #ad

Cummins12V98 , Feb 23, 2023
    coreyallan likes this.
  11. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I agree on the auto-level suspension, it was one of my non-negotiable requirements when shopping for a used truck in early 2019.

AH64ID , Feb 23, 2023
  12. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Just turned 100k on mine today. Several issues along the way but all taken care of under warranty.

2189B843-362A-45A4-98ED-7C8A247F7866.jpeg #ad

coreyallan likes this.
  13. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Wrong pic.
    46B3E762-EE99-47FF-B903-F7AB3B98F4D1.jpeg #ad

NIsaacs likes this.
  14. coreyallan

We’ll I don’t want to leave this open ended. After an intense ( daily searches using numerous search engines) I located a one owner, 2016, Aisin, 4.10, bagged Larime in Texas that I had a pre purchase inspection done on. It came through with flying colors after the thorough diagnostics, vehicle service history, exterior, interior, chassis, and driving inspection. I should have the deal done tomorrow or the day after and hopefully have the truck shipped by the end of the week. Thanks for the help and suggestions. No real plans besides a flush mount tool box and a 2.5” level possibly. Although it appears to sit level w/out one?

2DEC12AA-45CC-49B0-AD7E-B36EB765F7B6.jpeg #ad

coreyallan , Mar 28, 2023
  15. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

If you move up to a 2016 MY you can get front park sensors in addition to the rear ones. Laramie or higher for trim level with full center console!

On edit: You heard before I even posted!!! :) :)

SnoKing , Mar 28, 2023
  16. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Looks sharp.

By bagged I presume you’re talking about aftermarket bags?
    If so a 2.5” level might be too much if you load the truck up heavy, unless you don’t want to use the OEM overloads as well as the airbags.

If it’s the OEM auto-level then they are pretty level from the factory, and dead level in ALT ride height. Any front spacers will get you started on a Carolina squat. The 0.5” Carli springs are about as much as you can do and still use ALT, and even then not all trucks have that much to work with. My ‘18 would have worked with the 0.5” springs, but my ‘22 won’t.

AH64ID , Mar 28, 2023
    coreyallan likes this.
  17. coreyallan

Ahh, good info. I thought there may be some interesting and applicable facts surrounding a factory airbag truck (which this is). Good to know. Thank you. In all honesty I dont plan on loading it heavy besides a slide in camper eventually. I’ll do some more research on the finer points of suspension alterations on a factory airbag truck. My gut instinct in leave it alone, besides some. 35s. lol.

AH64ID likes this.
  18. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

"If it’s the OEM auto-level then they are pretty level from the factory, and dead level in ALT ride height."

I thought in ALT the rake was 1" ???

OP you will love the factory rear air, good choice!!! Leave the truck in stock condition and you will be more than happy.

Cummins12V98 , Mar 28, 2023
    coreyallan likes this.
  19. coreyallan

Thanks! Honestly I dont know how much I’ll use the air. We do have a 35’ center console that we tow a couple times a year, so maybe then. If the factory rake is 1” then I may do a 1” level, I am
    A fan of dead level no rake; I dont really care that much about loaded as the truck will never be heavily taxed under my ownership. So, yeah relitively stock it’ll stay. My days of building trucks is over. I just want to turn the key (press the button) and drive in comfort. The truck does have some under hood “parts missing” so I’m hopeful that reliability is going to be its strong point. I’ll have to look into deducing what kind of tuning files are in the truck now. Few things were found with the pre purchase inspection, the front end has been completely gone through with extensive OE parts. I will establish a base line service when I get home. All fluids and filters.

20. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Yes it’s about 1”.

Heavy or not you will want to use ALT anytime you have 1K in the bed, and that drops the rear 1”.

The main benefit to ALT is that you engage the lower overloads and they provide a huge increase in stability.

Unlike a normally sprung truck it only rides in one of two heights, regardless of payload.

How much you level depends on what look you like and what mode you will run it. They look nearly dead level in both norm and alt, so I haven’t bothered with a level kit.

AH64ID , Mar 28, 2023
    06 Dodge, Cummins12V98 and coreyallan like this.