Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PawsWet

Looking for first person recommendations for ball joint press accessories.

A recurring theme is to use 1/4” steel plate squares and a short iron pipe section with a rental press. The plates are simple enough, but I haven’t found dimensions on the pipe extension. ID, OD, and length of this cut pipe would be great.

Alternatively, the part number of an economical press accessory kit someone has actually used with a generic rental press would be helpful.

I’m putting EMF ball joints in the ‘06 Ram in my signature. They will replace the originals, which are wasted. Trying to save time by being as prepared as I can be before I start the work.

Thanks!

PawsWet , Dec 9, 2022
  2. bighammer

My local Advance Auto loaned me a ball joint kit, even though I bought the replacements elsewhere. Pretty damn cool... :cool:

bighammer , Dec 9, 2022
    PawsWet likes this.
  3. Walker111

I’ve done some with the generic harbor freight kit on a Jeep. Always use my impact hammer to knock the old ones out.

Walker111 , Dec 9, 2022
    PawsWet likes this.
  4. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

I installed EMF's on my 03 with the Harbor freight standard ball joint kit and adapter set no issue. I've used it quite a few times prior on Jeeps, 1500s, u-joints, etc.

It's been one of the better if not one of the best products I've bought from harbor freight given it's durability and the use I'm getting out of it.

Alternatively Torque King 4x4 has a ball joint press kit specifically for the AAM's (though it can be used on other applications).

Huge price gap between the two, I couldn't justify adding another application specific tool blow mold case to my collection for my 03 so I opted for the Harbor Freight kit that I already had. The consolation being that both kits are made in Whinny the Poo's Forrest of Factories.

Hope this helps, best of luck on the job, it's not too bad just time consuming. If the joints are OEM clear your schedule for the day and tempt a friend to help with cold snacks.

Darkbloodmon , Dec 10, 2022
  5. PawsWet

These guys do seem to have great rental tools. Thanks

PawsWet , Dec 10, 2022
  6. PawsWet

Just picked up an IR119 air impact hammer to motivate the unit bearing out of the steering knuckle. I know some folks had good luck removing the axles w/o pulling the hubs off, but my truck may need new u joints too. I’d rather work with smaller pieces.

Looks like Monday morning will be the starting bell, so anything I get between now and then will have to come from a brick & mortar store. I’ll check out the HF press adapter kit..it’s in stock locally. Thanks Darkbloodmon

PawsWet , Dec 10, 2022
    Darkbloodmon likes this.
  7. seafish

Bewteen now and then you should start using your favorite penetrant lubricant on all of the bolts that you will be removing. :)

seafish , Dec 10, 2022
    slowmover, PawsWet, tjm and 1 other person like this.
  8. tjm

9. PawsWet

I’m still working on getting the unit bearing out of the steering knuckle. Between the air hammer with the Lisle tool, a ball peen, and a 5# sledge, I can see daylight through a gap now. Should have this separated soon. My air supply seems to be limiting the air hammer’s effectiveness.

PawsWet , Dec 13, 2022
    Darkbloodmon likes this.
  10. PawsWet

I only got started this morning, due to a family delay.
    Finally got the unit bearing off with a 3 prong puller, once the air hammer opened up gaps. It had never been out since new. Same for the ball joints on the driver’s side. Bores were mostly shiny when pressed out.

I’ve been using a kit from Advanced Automotive, but I don’t see any way possible to press the EMF ball joints in with this press. It seems too small, and most of the receivers and plates that came with it are not suitable for the Dodge Ram 2500 application.

4879C537-F08F-4DFE-BCFD-D9193F12AED6.jpeg #ad

The press frame on this Powerbuilt #648617 has barely 6” of space inside the C frame, less when you consider the screw plunger which sticks in another inch with full thread engagement.

Unless I’m doing something very wrong, this press is unsat in a big way.

First stop is Harbor Freight tomorrow morning, but I’m concerned its press will be just as small.

PawsWet , Dec 13, 2022
  11. PawsWet

Bottom ball joint stack wasn’t long enough and bottomed out with the ball joint pin as shown. I got the old ball joint pressed out, but with a real hack job press stack. Can anyone tell by the photo if this press is just too dang small?

C623E380-D39C-47B8-83B4-75F48858E3A7.jpeg #ad

PawsWet , Dec 13, 2022
  12. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Is this a picture of installation or removal?

I could take some measurements of my HF clamp and adapters if you want, but if you're going to get it anyways I can confirm I was able to do it with that kit and its additional adapters sold in a separate kit.

The use of adapters and the press is kind of a brain teaser for the order of operations. I can help give you pointers from memory.

Do remember to use the installation cup provided in the EMF kit.

Darkbloodmon , Dec 14, 2022
  13. slowmover

50/50 Acetone & synthetic ATF

Nothing better, not even KROIL.

Good idea done annually to all fasteners found on truck exterior.

View attachment 136125 #ad

slowmover , Dec 14, 2022
    Michaelsloft and PawsWet like this.
  14. PawsWet

This ^ was removal, but it bottomed out on the ball joint pin. It got the factory original ball joint out enough to remove with an air hammer.

Just checking..what model is your ‘03?

Will definitely use EMF cup for top and install washer for bottom joints. Just need room to fit it all.

I’ll get both the kit and adapter set from HF this morning. Any tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    PawsWet , Dec 14, 2022
  15. crispyboy

Your press looks like the same one I used from HF several years ago. Getting the old ball joints out was tough for me but I am just a shade tree type mechanic far from the professional guys but I try my best. The HF press was a very tight fit and it was a puzzle to figure the adapters out. I remember using a long cheater bar on the press along with hammer taps and soaking with penetrating oil. It may take some heat to get them started. They fought me the whole way out and putting them back in. Put your new ball joints in the freezer over night which seems to help a bit.

crispyboy , Dec 14, 2022
  16. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

What do you mean by model? My 03 HO SLT 2500 has the same AAM 9.25 five link as your 06. I used EMF standard sized joints for my axle not the oversized variant.

Have you watched EMF's installation tutorial? It's very in depth. They use a larger C clamp on the lower and a smaller one on the top. I believe the smaller one is closer in size to the HF one, but It can be done.

From memory installation was easier, I cleaned out the bores with a brass wire wheel and used copper anti-seize to help during assembly, Make sure you're driving it straight and flush before putting some grunt into it.

I didn't use power tools just hammers to shock tap and breaker/pry bars.

Darkbloodmon , Dec 14, 2022
  17. jghflys

I used a press like yours on the first side I did and ran into some problems with length during removal and installation but was able to finish by rearranging the rings and plates. For the second side I bought this from amazon. I bought this one because it has two screws of different lengths. The longer length of the frame and shorter screw gives you more options when arranging the press rings and plates. It performed very well and stood up to the high stresses during removal and installation. You should use anti-seize to lubricate the threads. I also used it when we did my son's truck. If you get one, be aware that the swivel at the end of the screw has a ball bearing inside that can get away from you, I know.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    jghflys , Dec 14, 2022
    Darkbloodmon likes this.
  18. PawsWet

I just wondered if your ‘03 was a 1500, 2500, or 3500.
    Watched the EMF tutorial several times. Good resource.

I have been using a phosphor bronze (I think) brush from Northern Tool to clean everything up. It does a pretty good job of knocking off rust. The ball joint bores in my axle were almost mirror bright. They were definitely factory. That Powerbuilt press was decent quality, but just too small.

PawsWet , Dec 15, 2022
    Darkbloodmon likes this.
  19. PawsWet

I finished the driver’s side late last night. Half way through the other side now. I’m using a Harbor Freight “Maddox” brand press and the accessory kit. Still needed that 1/4” plate everyone has been talking about.

I faked it by stacking used edger blades instead of a steel plate…it actually worked. Only needed that to start the lower ball joint back in, and just enough to get the first 1/4” of press progress. After that, the fittings in the kit did the job.

Will write an after action report when finished. Wish HF sold a press with 8” interior size and a shorter screw like the Astro mentioned above.

PawsWet , Dec 15, 2022
    tjm, slowmover and Darkbloodmon like this.