Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buffalo

My truck is an '03 with the the covercraft glass replacement glass seat covers seat covers sold by Geno's (which, I really like!!!). I live in the desert SW (Phoenix) where it is very hot & dry in the summer months. When sliding in & out of the truck, a LOT of static elec. is created & when I touch anything metal, on the truck, I create a lightning bolt. Kind of like "Old Sparky" in some of the prisons!!!

When I was a kid, I would see vehicles with a strap that was impregnated with metal wiring that was connected from the frame & would contact the ground (earth).

Would that work on our trucks, or is there some reason not to do this modification? Where would a person find that kind of straping? Now that I think of it I, also, remember people putting chains on the frame to the ground.

Any advice would be appreciated. For more reasons than this, I'm not looking forward to the summer in Phoenix. It's about time to start looking into buying stock in deodorant companies, again.

Joe F.

Buffalo , Feb 27, 2010
  2. EricBu12

Ive seen that grounding strap on a lot of trucks. . if you have static, then that might work for you

EricBu12 , Feb 27, 2010
  3. DavidC

I have the same problem. When I exit a vehicle I try to always put my forearm to the edge of the door sheetmetal, it doesn't hurt as much as thru the fingers. I did find these on a quick search although I am not sure if they will work since the seats are fabric and may not be grounded.

ANTISTATIC CAR EARTH GROUND WIRE

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2018
    DavidC , Feb 27, 2010
  4. PBJ2500CTD

Prior to exiting the vehicle firmly grab a metal part of the truck - door handle, door frame, etc. The static charge will dissipate once you touch the ground and you will not feel a thing. The straps work OK but are not 100% effective.

PBJ2500CTD , Feb 27, 2010
  5. B.G. Smith

The static that zaps you is generated when you slide over the seat material and of course is much worse in low humidity areas. As stated above, if you can find a metal part of the truck to hold onto while exiting the seat the charge will dissipate througt the metal. I have held the ignition key in my hand and touched it to metal part of vehicle when exiting, you will see a spark jump but the pain is lessened. :) bg

B.G. Smith , Feb 27, 2010
  6. Buffalo

Thanks for the replies!!! Especially the one linking the "anti-static ground strap". That's what I was thinking about.

Does anyone think that 'grounding' the truck might interfere with all the electronics (computers, etc. ) on these vehicles?

Joe F.

Buffalo , Feb 28, 2010
  7. DavidC

I do not believe the strap will interfere with the truck. What I am not sure about is that you are creating the charge sliding across the fabric and discharging to the truck. If you want to experiment I would pick a day with low humidity and have a chain ready to bolt to the frame. When you find the day you get zapped:-laf you could install the chain and try again:-laf. That would test the theory if it works or not. I would use the back of your hand and put a surge protector on your pace maker before trying the above experiment or pick someone you dislike to carry out the seat part of the experiment:-laf

Dave

DavidC , Feb 28, 2010
  8. B.G. Smith

A ground strap might actually be good for the computer but I don't think it will stop the problem of static electricity when you exit the truck as it is generated between you and the truck, not you and the ground. bg

B.G. Smith , Feb 28, 2010
  9. Buffalo

DavidC,

Your idea of temporarily hanging a chain off the truck is a good idea!!! That should tell me if "grounding the truck" really does work, before I actually go out & buy a static elec. grounding strap.

I live in the NW Phoenix area so, there is no problem finding hot, dry days for producing static elec.

You may remember me. I'm the guy that bought your elec. trailer tongue jack, a few years ago. Sadly, I destroyed the jack. My neighbor had a tree trimming crew arrive at his home & my trailer was parked under the tree. Three or four guys were sitting in the shade while I hooked-up the trailer to the truck. I forgot to raise the jack up all the way & drove off the curb which, lowered the jack shaft to the point that it hit the edge of the sidewalk & bent it. I tried to straighten it & couldn't due to its strength. Had to saw it off & buy a new elec. jack that is nowhere near a good as the one that you sold me. I REALLY miss the jack you sold me!!!

I was trying to hurry so as to not inconvenience the trimming crew. Turns out that they were having lunch & were in no hurry, at all. Couple of hundred dollar mistake, on my part!!!

Joe F.

Buffalo , Feb 28, 2010
  10. Buffalo

BGSmith,

You may have a good point. I wonder if the upholstery on the seats would act as an insulator between my rear-end & the metal framework on the seats, which, probably lead to the truck frame &, eventually, the earth (ground).

Joe F.

Buffalo , Feb 28, 2010
  11. MVenditti

You could try spraying the seat cover with anti-static spray used for clothes.

MVenditti , Feb 28, 2010
  12. DavidC

Joe, I am not that old yet to forget you. Sorry to hear about the jack. I agree that you are creating a charge of your own body when sliding across the seat and then discharging to the trucks body during exit. There is a reason that people wear those wrist band devices with the wire that clips to a ground when working on electronic devices, that is why I suggested the experiment as I do not think the strap will fix your problem but I think I may have been wrong once before:-laf. Wearing a wrist band or other device clipped to the metal or ground wire would solve the static shock but not to feasible for the circumstances.

Dave

DavidC , Feb 28, 2010
  13. DMcGalliard

Leather seats are the answer, since I have gone to leather in all my cars and truck the problem has gone away. Before leather when I lived in Denver and it was really bad I used this technique and it always worked.

As you remove the key before exiting, hold by the metal near the plastic but on the metal, as you exit,sliding on the seat and before you touch the ground, touch the key end to metal on the truck, you will feel the surge of electricty thru your hand but no shock, the shock will be at the end of the key and you will see the spark. This worked for me.
    Dave Mc

DMcGalliard , Mar 1, 2010