Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devil Black Diesel

I got a new 2016 and went to fill up for the first time and learned there is a plastic cover on the fuel filling receptacle. Is there a way to install a locking gas cap? I don't like the idea of anyone being able to open up the fuel door and have access to my fuel....let me know if there's something out there that I can lock it with.

Devil Black Diesel , Aug 1, 2016
  2. Ram4Sam TDR MEMBER

No locking caps yet.........

Sam

Ram4Sam , Aug 1, 2016
  3. Deleted member 995608

You can get a billet fuel door cover with a lock, but it shrinks the opening some and could make it harder to add DEF

Deleted member 995608 , Aug 1, 2016
  4. PTsideshow

PTsideshow , Aug 1, 2016
  5. DonR

Funny thing is that I just bought one of these caps and installed it today. Funny thing is that to me it doesn't fit as tight as the plastic cover. It's slightly magnetic so it won't come out hopefully. I was thinking about going to ACE hardware or one of the home improvement stores and see if I can find an o-ring with the same inside diameter yet a little thicker for a tighter fit. Sure looks better than the red plastic.

Don

DonR , Aug 1, 2016
  6. PTsideshow

Mine came with two different sized o-rings and on does make it fit tighter. The magnetic in the bottom holds well to the hinge when I'm filling up.

PTsideshow , Aug 1, 2016
  7. Devil Black Diesel

Amazing. It's 2016 and I can't prevent someone from tampering with my fuel on a 60K truck. Imagine that. Sounds like a locking cap might be a hot seller if someone can make one....

Devil Black Diesel , Aug 1, 2016
  8. gsbrockman

Unless the potential "saboteur" has a funnel.....anything they put in the capless fill fuel system will simply pour out onto the ground.

gsbrockman , Aug 1, 2016
  9. Deleted member 995608

I search now in then on fleabay for a filler neck from 4500/5500's. I think they have lockable fuel necks.

Deleted member 995608 , Aug 2, 2016
  10. kthaxton TDR MEMBER

Has Ram/Dodge ever come with a locking fuel cap?

kthaxton , Aug 2, 2016
  11. Deleted member 995608

Not that I know of. Just the capability to add a locking cap.

Deleted member 995608 , Aug 2, 2016
  12. Devil Black Diesel

This^^^ At present time it looks like there is no way to lock it except for changing the door which has some drawbacks.

Devil Black Diesel , Aug 2, 2016
  13. K9Kodi

While mine does not lock, I bought the appropriate size compression pipe end fitting thing and it works awesome.

K9Kodi , Aug 2, 2016
  14. K9Kodi

K9Kodi , Aug 2, 2016
  15. w6pea TDR MEMBER

I have to agree with this statement,

w6pea , Aug 8, 2016
  16. alyoops

Mine didn't even come with a green cap. Went to home depot and bought a rubber end cap, trim 1/4" off, so that the door shut normal. Ya, it is crazy that they don't have a locking cap, Money talks too much with FCA, etc.

alyoops , Aug 8, 2016
  17. American Adventurist

Looking at my brand new 2016, other than adding the locking door I don't see any way to add an actual locking cap. That green filler has no threads or anything for a cap to grab onto. I did add a nice billet aluminum cap though.

American Adventurist , Aug 9, 2016
  18. Dan_69GTX TDR MEMBER

Dan_69GTX , Aug 11, 2016
  19. lakedaisy

You only see one spring loaded door when looking into the diesel fuel fill neck. Several inches deeper is another spring loaded door. Anything poured into the outer door (the one you can see) without opening the second door drains out of the fill tube and on to the ground. Under the passengers seat is a long neck funnel. It's there so you can push into the fill neck if you need to fill from a diesel can. It opens both spring loaded doors.

When filling the truck with diesel fuel from the pump be sure to push the pump nozzle deep into the fill neck otherwise the second door won't open and diesel will pour to the ground. Also, before pulling the nozzle out wait a few seconds for all the diesel to pass the second door. Otherwise some diesel will pour out to the ground.

lakedaisy , Aug 11, 2016
  20. Dan_69GTX TDR MEMBER

Thanks for that info.

Dan_69GTX , Aug 11, 2016