1. wrk2mtch

I just bought a 1990 W250 with the 727 and 3. 07's. (my first cummins powered Ram )
    I am planning on towing a large 5th wheel (about 10,000 pounds) and I am wondering if anyone else has done any serious towing with this setup? The first thing I plan to do is add a full set of gauges, but I'm wondering what else I might need to do. Will the transmission hold up to this? Is the stock cooler enough? Are the 3. 07's ok?

------------------
    '90 LE W250, 727, 3. 07, Line-X bedliner, 140k miles,

wrk2mtch , Dec 13, 2000
  2. Barry

Would the deep dish Mag Hy-tec pan solve the problem?

------------------
    2001 2500 QC, ETH/DEE,4:10s, LSD, VA Magic Box, Boost/Pyro Guages, 4" Turbo back, BD Brake,Mag- Hytec Cover, Kleen Wheels, Energy Release, 70 gal. fuel, 20K Reese. (RV Dealer)

Barry , Dec 13, 2000
  3. Gary - K7GLD

Already covered this in the "other" forum - but since this is a new addition, I'll repeat it here:

My early '91 does fine with our 8,000 lb fiver (see sig), but I have added the Banks stuff indicated below. It did fine before, does better with the added stuff - and I have a friend with a TALL fiver well over 10,000 lbs, and he does fine with his stock '92 extended cab. Engine cooling in the older Rams IS a factor, and I have had an internal baffle installed inside the top radiator tank to divert hot coolent completely ACROSS the radiators surface, rather than allowing it to "short cycle" directl yfrom the inlet down to the outlet directly below it. I also use one of the cooling system temp reducing solutions for further temp control, and it does seem to help. Without some sort of OD option, you DO want that 3. 07 differential, or your top speed on the freeway will be WAY too low for freeway operation - these rigs top out at 80 mph with the 3. 07! My exhaust temp up long Sierra 7% grades, fully loaded, never exceed 1150 degrees, and I always maintain 60 mph or better, depending on traffic and road conditions. I now have over 106,000 miles on my truck, with a high percentage of towing involve, much of it in the mountains - absolutely NO problems of ANY kind!

------------------
    Early '91 250, 727 AT, 307 rear... Banks Stinger exhaust, intercooler... US Gear OD... MORE than a match for every new PS Ford encountered so far...

Gary - K7GLD , Dec 13, 2000
  4. danandamy

A customer of mine has an '89 with this set up. He pulls motorgraders on flatbed goosnecks. Needless to say, a bit heavier than a travel trailer. He got 200,000 miles out of his transmission before rebuild. The only mods he has is a gear vendor o/d unit. I test drove a 92 recently and will say the stock transmission cooler is a joke. Honestly, I think the old three speed is tougher than the newer four speed units.

danandamy , Dec 13, 2000
  5. wrk2mtch

I've noticed a lot of people saying that they swapped in a later radiator. What year did they improve them and is it a straight swap?

------------------
    '90 LE W250, 727, 3. 07, Line-X bedliner, 140k miles,

wrk2mtch , Dec 13, 2000
  6. Polarbear TDR MEMBER

Terry, search the archives, 1st Gen. for "Radiator upgrade" and you should find an earlier post regarding this radiator upgrade. Upgrading the radiator in my truck changed it completely, no longer am I staring at the temperature gauge as it hovers near the disaster mark. Now it warms to the middle and has once moved a hair above the center!

------------------
    '89 4X4, Banks intercooled, Banks Powerpack, 727 Auto, 3. 55 gears, GearVendors O/D, full guages, Ramsey winch, Transferflow 50 gal. tank, Alcoa rims, 265/75-16 tires, Chrysler trans cooler, National Spring 2. 5" lift springs, and a few odds and ends

Polarbear , Dec 13, 2000
  7. Dieselnerd

The pre '94 trucks biggest problem was transmission cooling. The transmission doesn't lock up and the cooler is too small for heavy towing. One solution is an underbed cooler that was available from the dealer (don't know if this still applies)that had a fan and really improved the cooling. These were quite expensive, I don't recall the exact price but it was in the $600-$800 range as I remember.

Dieselnerd , Dec 14, 2000
  8. Gary - K7GLD

HMMmmm I did a search for "radiator upgrade" and found nothing but this thread... I too would be interested in potential replacement options for future reference - any help?

------------------
    Early '91 250, 727 AT, 307 rear... Banks Stinger exhaust, intercooler... US Gear OD... MORE than a match for every new PS Ford encountered so far...

Gary - K7GLD , Dec 14, 2000