Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keegan Williams

I recently noticed a few drops of PS fluid under the truck. Can't see exactly where it's spurting out, but the area surrounding the bottom is covered. Seems like it might be the o-ring between the reservoir and the pump, which has been documented previously as a problem.

I found this write up by user: 100 Proof (I'm doubt I linked the username correctly) on replacing the o-ring. Figured I would give it a check before replacing entire unit.

Drained the reservoir, undid the top torx screw, and realized the pump pulley is in the way of the bottom screw. I can unscrew it, but can't remove it completely, so the reservoir can't be removed from the pump without pulling the pulley off.

Is that correct? Or am I missing something here? Seems like a dumb design change... The screw doesn't clear the pulley by maybe 3/16".

100 Proof's was a 2003, and mine is a 2006. Is the pulley just a different size between the years?

I would love to not have to rent the pulley puller and buy the belt removal tool if possible.

Thanks in advance.
    Keegan

Keegan Williams , Jun 17, 2019
  2. mfurrh55

Wish I could help, maybe someone will chime in, if you figure it out, post the results here so maybe in the future I'll know since I have an 07. 5 9

mfurrh55 , Jun 18, 2019
    Keegan Williams likes this.
  3. Keegan Williams

Most definitely. Maybe I can save someone else the hassle of driving 45 miles to O'Reilly's once and not two or three times.
    :rolleyes:

Keegan Williams , Jun 18, 2019
    mfurrh55 likes this.
  4. CBari

Mine was an 03 and I couldn't remove mine either. I learned that it is a 50 - 50 thing on which pulley you have and it working. I have mine in the shop right now and am pulling the pump off as it looked easier than pulling the pulley on the truck.

CBari , Jun 18, 2019
  5. Keegan Williams

Got around to servicing the power steering pump today. A few things:

• Rented the 67061 belt tool from O'Reilly's. Much easier than using a 1/2" drive ratchet. Since the tool is flat stock, I was able to use it from the top under the hood by myself, so as not to bother my wife to pull the belt off the alternator pulley while I'm under the truck.

• The 3x 13mm bolts holding the pump to the bracket are easier to hit with the right sized ratchet attachment. I originally used a 3/8" drive ratchet with extension, which worked, but on the middle/side bolt, once unscrewed, the bolt stuck in the socket and the ratchet and everything got stuck against the fan. Took me 30 min to get the POS out. I used a 1/4" drive 13mm socket with a 1/4"-3/8" adapter, which added 3/4", which worked like a charm.

Upon removing the unit and checking the common o-ring failure point, the o-ring looked fine. Didn't seem flawed whatsoever. There was also fluid under the pulley around the stem, which could have been blown around, but I didn't want to chance it so I replaced the entire unit. Not too stressed as it was the original with ~150k miles.

There's a chance that the reservoir cap was dirty and wasn't venting properly, forcing fluid out of other places. There are two small vent holes in the dipstick that you can clean it out if you pull it apart.

The bottom torx bolt holding the reservoir on bumps the pulley on my setup, preventing checking of that o-ring. Next time, I'll notch the side of the head off of it with a dremel so it clears and check that o-ring before I try to pull the pump again. And the cap cleaning, of course.

Video help (Not Mine):

It was a little tight in and out and only minor fun. 3hrs for low-medium level mechanic. Would recommend DIY to save $200-300. :D

Good luck!

Keegan Williams , Jun 26, 2019