Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHobbs

Question for those using Alpha OBD. I have a 2013 Ram 2500 and I lost the only key fob I had to the truck. If I buy a new blank key fob can I program it using Alpha OBD? Talked with a dealer and was told the truck had to be present to program one and the nearest dealer is forty five minutes away. I don't want that towing bill on top of everything.

SHobbs , Dec 20, 2021
  2. Wiredawg

SHobbs Recommend whatever you do, buy TWO fobs and get BOTH programmed to your truck.

Wiredawg , Dec 20, 2021
  3. lpennock

I would guess you would need 1 working fob as obd needs to start up so AlfaOBD can connect to the correct modules. I have to admit I've never tried it without a working fob though.

lpennock , Dec 20, 2021
    gsbrockman likes this.
  4. sag2 TDR MEMBER

You should be able to program a fob with the key in the off position, at least that is how it works with wiTECH. If AlfaOBD can't do it without having the key turned on you will have to take it to the dealer.

sag2 , Dec 20, 2021
  5. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I do a lot of my BCM programming with the key off, so hopefully you can do the same for the key fob.

It’s worth a shot before the tow bill.

AH64ID , Dec 20, 2021
  6. SHobbs

Thanks for the input. If I have to haul it to a dealer I am a little worried, the one forty five minutes away is very unreliable with horrible ratings and the next closest dealer is at least two hours. Not sure what they would do with a deleted truck either.

SHobbs , Dec 20, 2021
  7. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

There are mobile techs that have the tools and can come to you possibly.

Just really depends on how remote is remote and metro centers tend to have more of these services.

But Alpha is good first try, can't hurt.

I had a box of FOBs and the older ones would not work with say the newer vans, they all looked identical and were for 2013 Grand Caravans, and I wanted to use them for 2016 vans, they were not able to program them. I never pushed the question on the hardware change. We just skipped that effort at that point to reuse the old ones.

Timd32 , Dec 21, 2021
  8. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Where is the best source for FOBS? I also lost one of the FOBS for my truck, and need to realistically make a new one as soon as my hardware for AlphaOBD arrives

bcbender , Dec 21, 2021
  9. Topzide TDR MEMBER

I bought Fob's from Ebay that I programed without issue. Can't remember about turning key on, do know that key to be programmed needed to be placed in ignition. The FOB's that I got even had the button for suspension on them. Didn't matter since I don't have that on mine. If you can use Alfa to pull pin without turning truck on, then you should be able to program FOB. Worth a try and worst case, a good mobile locksmith can do work without having to drag to dealer and listen to them beat you up about your truck! Your truck, your choice! I'm not deleting my truck due to enforcement increasing in my area and not a lot of benefits in it for me. But if that your cup of tea, go for it and hope you can stay under the radar! Good luck with FOB's!

Topzide , Dec 21, 2021
  10. lpennock

I usually get them off amazon. As Topzide said, mobile lock smith can also do it but it will cost $200-300 for them just like the dealer.

lpennock , Dec 21, 2021
  11. SHobbs

Looking for ideas. Using a Matco maximus 4.0 to program a new blank key fob and getting an error after inserting fob saying " programming failed not in off lock position." The ignition is in off lock, cluster says wrong key fob. If we hold the fob against the ignition not inserted it says program successful. Insert key and nothing, cluster reads wrong key fob. Also get communication errors with ECU.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    SHobbs , Jan 16, 2022
  12. rcmedic TDR MEMBER

If I may.... find a new lock smith. I have had several programmed from a local locks smith for under $60

rcmedic , Dec 14, 2022
  13. rhf

I bought a RAM one from carandtruckremotes.com and used AlfaOBD to program it. Took a few tries but it was successful.

Ozymandias likes this.