Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar

I have a 2019 ram 3500 with a y78 recall. I have been on the waiting list for over 6 months and my dealer basically told me to drive it until it breaks. Well the fuel pumps stopped working one day before my appointment to get the recall done. I had to tow it to the dealer. Dealer told me they had to keep my truck for a few weeks because now since it went bad they had to replace the fuel line or something like that. They just called me and said that the dip stick wasn’t showing any oil and wanted to do an oil change to check the oil. Where did the oil go? And is related to the fuel pump going bad?

Oscar , Feb 23, 2023
  2. Tuesdak

When was the last time you checked the oil? Last oil change by who and when? Your happy butt had better get down there and "Trust but Verify" the oil level is low. Then, yes, be asking where the oil went.

My concern is this is the type of thing, neglect, that could void a warranty. So one had better CYA PDQ.

Tuesdak , Feb 23, 2023
    06 Dodge, Topzide and endoscott like this.
  3. Oscar

I did the oil change dec 7th and I did it my self. I made sure I put the required oil in there. I have no leaks in my concrete. What I’ve been reading here is that everything is going to have to be replaced and they are going to have my truck for weeks.

Oscar , Feb 23, 2023
  4. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Better get your receipts together and take a trip down to the dealer and confirm where the oil is reading on the dip stick!

Topzide , Feb 23, 2023
    R.Taylor, 06 Dodge and Tuesdak like this.
  5. Oscar

They are saying my def is contaminated at 34. Something and they need to replace the pump and tank I think. Does that sound right?

Oscar , Feb 23, 2023
  6. PRS TDR MEMBER

John Jensen in the thread “Walmart DEF mostly water” post #30 has some numbers that say 34 is great.
    Sounds to me like the dealer is looking to take advantage of a stressed customer.

06 Dodge and Tuesdak like this.
  7. Tuesdak

Yeah take a friend with you tomorrow and take pictures and a video of pulling the engine oil dipstick. These are "What's in YOUR Wallet?" type of Warranty Voiding Questions. Call into work if you have too because this could put the Five Figure warranty claim on you and/or your insurance.

Tuesdak , Feb 23, 2023
    06 Dodge likes this.
  8. sag2 TDR MEMBER

Perfect DEF is 32.5%. 34% is nothing to be concerned about. Did it have any fault codes? Why would they have checked the DEF concentration for a fuel pump recall? DEF contamination does not raise the concentration, and besides, DEF and the SCR catalyst have nothing at all to do with the fuel system or how the truck runs. I agree, you need to see what they are doing with your own eyes and you have plenty of questions they need to answer.

sag2 , Feb 23, 2023
  9. KPotter

If the truck does not run how can they do a oil change?

KPotter , Feb 24, 2023
    Bug Out and R.Taylor like this.
  10. Oscar

The truck was running fine and with no warning it shut off on a stop. I turned it back on and it went about 50 feet and started jerking a bit and it went really slow. I got an exhaust failure see dealer message and a lightning bolt emblem. I thought it was the pump since I was scheduled to take it in the next day for the recall. The truck moved very slowly because I got in on and off my truck. I always tow 20k pounds and im always on the highway. Yeah I don’t trust the dealer. I figured you guys could guide me.

Oscar , Feb 24, 2023
  11. Oscar

It runs a little bit so maybe the pump didn’t shatter. Thinking it might be a def issue.

Oscar , Feb 24, 2023
  12. John Jensen

DEF from the manufacturer has to have a concentration of 32.5% urea (+/- 0.7%). How can 34% be called contamination? With that and their other statements, I would find another dealer. If you can't move your truck best to visit them before they screw you badly.

John Jensen , Feb 24, 2023
    Tuesdak and 06 Dodge like this.
  13. Signal73

You would of got a warning on your evic if it was def related.

Signal73 , Feb 24, 2023
    06 Dodge, brucejohnson and Rob S like this.
  14. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Please understand- DEF has nothing to do with your issue of the truck shutting down in the middle of an intersection.

Please read carefully- if there is a problem with the DEF system you get three consecutive warnings before the truck shuts down. First it derates power for a couple hundred miles or so, then it derates speed for another couple hundred miles or so, and then you get the final warning that the engine will shut down at the next stop of the vehicle. All these three warning are told by the EVIC to you as a driver, with all the dings and lights going on.

And no oil on the dipstick does not indicate there is no oil in the pan. Even with just 2 quarts from 11 the engine would run just fine.

Have you ever in life had an engine starve from no oil? You'd never forget that horrible sound - and an engine that starved usually never starts again because it is trash then. Ah, and it would be accompanied with the low oil warning light on the dash and the buzzer goes off too.

If that dealer starts playing games with you I myself would consider to contact MOPAR directly, open a case and ask them questions about that.

Ozymandias , Feb 25, 2023
    Bug Out, Tuesdak, bcbender and 7 others like this.
  15. KPotter

What is the update on this issue ?

KPotter , Mar 4, 2023
    Rob S likes this.