Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ramshackle

Which aftermarket intake horn with grid heater delete do you recommend?

ramshackle , Jul 8, 2022
  2. MConyers

No experience with an intake horn; based on other items I'd at least look at GDP.

MConyers , Jul 10, 2022
    bigceltic and ramshackle like this.
  3. Mark Hood

I just installed a Banks monster intake and am happy with it…. there are h8ters that say it’s a waste of money etc.. I see it as a way to address the carbonized heater grid, heater bolt, better unrestricted airflow, etc

Mark Hood

Mark Hood , Aug 6, 2022
    NIsaacs likes this.
  4. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

How much was it? They make quality products that sometimes can be equaled for less $$$.

Spoke to the service Manager at local Dealer and asked him what he thought about the grid heater nut falling off. He then proceeded to tell me how he replaced his engine in his 15 DRW because of the nut failure.

I am out of warranty at near 100k so it's time to do something about this potential time bomb.

Cummins12V98 , Aug 6, 2022
    ramshackle likes this.
  5. Mark Hood

I got the unfinished one for 850. I was lucky and got the “spin the wheel “ discount of 10%
    Mark

Mark Hood , Aug 6, 2022
    Cummins12V98 likes this.
  6. NIsaacs

What year is your truck? My son swears by them, Banks. The pictures of them seem impressive, oem v/s Banks.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    NIsaacs , Aug 7, 2022
  7. Mark Hood

it’s a 2017 long bed 3500 with 28k on it

Mark

Mark Hood , Aug 7, 2022
    NIsaacs likes this.
  8. Masterchiefbt

I just installed Banks Monster Ram and very high quality product. Does it make a difference? Absolutely…..seems to be reduced lag time on turbo spool…..Just bought the Banks Boost Tubes and expecting same high quality product from Banks…..

DF858FE3-5092-45B4-BA75-E60A70D3FE2A.jpeg #ad

Masterchiefbt , Aug 7, 2022
    NIsaacs likes this.
  9. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Who did you buy yours from?

Cummins12V98 , Aug 7, 2022
  10. Masterchiefbt

I bought mine from Banks online….I am retired US Navy Master Chief and get 10% from Banks so I went with them. Shipped in great packaging and installation video was huge help….along with my son-in-law!

Also….just bought the hot and cold boost tubes from Banks online. Once installed I will get IDash Super Gage and see if I need a pedal monster

Masterchiefbt , Aug 7, 2022
    Cummins12V98 and NIsaacs like this.
  11. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

I can’t speak for the 4th Gen intake horn but I can speak for Banks products. They do their homework. Their parts fit they work as advertised. I installed their intercooler kit on my 89. I installed the intake horn on my 05. The intake horn on my 05 made a huge difference. Best way to describe it is the engine felt like it wasn’t held back after it was installed. I’m betting the new design for the 4th Gen will allow the engine to breathe even better.

EDankievitch , Aug 7, 2022
  12. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

What everyone seems to overlook here is, the more air volume you have inside the intake system between Turbo and intake Valves the more delay you have from pushing the throttle to "move on".

Cummins designed the intake that way to serve the air need for the 325/600.
    If someone pushes way more, sure go for that Monster, but in a stocker I see no benefit from doing so.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    Ozymandias , Jan 6, 2023
    Jim W, p-Bar, 06 Dodge and 3 others like this.
  13. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Yep.... might see some benefit if your hot rodding around or pulling a sled, but I simply cant see the benefit on a stock truck doing its purpose built job.. If I was worried about the grid heater, Id just remove it and put it back together without... 3 trucks now and never needed the shiny stuff, bigger intercoolers, etc..., intake system on my 04, 12, and 20 seem fine for doing their job and my 04 was not stock fueling.
    I am by no means judging those who choose to add the accessories, just saying a wise man once told me "Chrome don't get you Home". .JM2C, best of luck.

bcbender , Jan 6, 2023
    Topzide and Rob S like this.
  14. EDankievitch TDR MEMBER

On my o5 the best way to describe the effect the intake horn had … the engine always felt like it was being held back at higher RPM’s. Torque/ power would fall off. After I installed the intake that “perception “ was noticeably less. Turbo lag was about the same, but at higher RPM’s the acceleration didn’t just fall right off. As it did with the stock intake. On the Gen 4 trucks the intake is much larger. I really doubt you will see any changes. The 3rd gen has a very pinched down intake.

EDankievitch , Jan 6, 2023
  15. Topzide TDR MEMBER

I can say since having to replace the turbo actuator on mine, the City Diesel replacement has me relearning to drive my truck! Much smoother and quicker response on the throttle! Turbo lag appears less as boost numbers build quicker. Just throwing that out there as the engine doesn't need any help with making power. Had thought about the throttle sensitivity booster, not now! But you know it's your truck, your money. Just enjoying them how you like.

Topzide , Jan 6, 2023
    Rob S likes this.
  16. p-Bar

So my 18 dually is going out of warranty this year with 31k on the clock. I need more info on this nut that needs to be replaced. Thanks

So I did find a thread on this. How can I do a disconnect of the grid heater with out throwing a code?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    p-Bar , Jan 7, 2023
  17. NIsaacs

[​IMG]#ad

NIsaacs , Jan 7, 2023
  18. sag2 TDR MEMBER

Watch for a procedure to fool the system on newer trucks in issue 119 that should be out next month.

sag2 , Jan 7, 2023
    AH64ID, BrentM and p-Bar like this.
  19. Axel

I saw Banks makes a replacement that gets rid of the problem but maintains the heater function

Axel , Jan 7, 2023
    p-Bar likes this.
  20. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

They do. The heater isn’t as powerful, but seems to work ok in cold climates.

Lots of complaints about the installation and instructions.

AH64ID , Jan 8, 2023