1. Mhennessy

Good day all,
    Recently I was towing heavy with my 04.5 135K with a 5 mic filtration on a custom tow setting and my WTS light kicked on after a hill on the downside (I don't remember the number of chimes) No loss of power and I drove to my location and shut it down. I let it cool and checked the oil and non had been made. No codes on the MM3. I fired it up and drove home with no issues.
    So, now I have been looking at the signs of injectors and I have no idle smoke, no delayed start, no rough idle, RP is lined up with RPD, she is not making oil. The only indicators I have is some dark smoke on acceleration on the stock setting and of course it is worse on the tunes. Its not a lot of smoke but enough to blacken the bumper. Maybe some high EGT's (1100-1200) climbing some hills.
    I have ran a tank with some Diesel Kleen and a second tank with some Hot Shot in it and the smoke still is there. I have checked my boost boots and there is tiny bubbles around the boots at 20 PSI but it really is very small and takes a few minutes to show itself. I am ruining a new S&B filter about a month ago so its clean and my fuel pressure is a solid 8-6 PSI. All injector Ohms are .5-.7. I checked the lash and put them all in specs.
    Seems like i have been reading that the injectors wear out on the 04.5-07's and the spray is not ideal for complete combustion. I also have read the 04.5+ should have 0 smoke in a stock setting.
    So my dilemma is that I know these stock injectors are not the best so should I wait for another symptom?
    Replace the injectors and so I can finally sleep at night?
    Run some ATF in the tank and send it?
    Thanks for the help guys.

Mhennessy , Jul 27, 2020
  2. Tuesdak

Check the cheap stuff first. And that be airflow. air filter clogged, stuck turbo waste gate, blown off boot, intercooler hole or cracked.

Tuesdak , Jul 27, 2020
  3. sag2 TDR MEMBER

You should have a couple codes, but they escape me right now. There was a flash that turned on the WTS lamp if the injector return was too high. Most likely it set on the downhill, as the logic was run the monitor on a closed throttle decel. I'm sure I posted the TSB a couple times, you might try a search for "wait to start" or WTS.

sag2 , Jul 27, 2020
  4. Kevin M Robinson

My truck is doing the same thing. It's an 05 with an mm3 with some tunes. I run 2so oil with every fillup, I don't have an EGT gauge yet so I have no idea what the temps are. At 11K ft, it smokes like a steam locomotive and gets a little better when I get to lower elevation. I put it back to stock but it still smokes just not as much. I guess I'll have to save for BBI injectors.

Kevin M Robinson , Jul 27, 2020
  5. Mhennessy

I did see that there was a flash for the WTS light but figured if it was smoking on a stock idle. I might have an issue going on. I guess I am just paranoid about the injectors and feel like i am just waiting for them to fail and cause issues. Its almost a piece of mind with me to change them out but man it will hurt the pocket book. Especially the BBI injectors. I am on the fence about their remans or new.

Mhennessy , Jul 27, 2020
  6. Killer223

i got the BBI new, omg what a different running truck. install was about 4 hours for a fat man. the old ones worked "ok" had a rough idle. the new ones it's super smooth and no smoke. well worth it IMO.

Killer223 , Jul 27, 2020
    Tuesdak likes this.
  7. Mhennessy

Killer223, Did you go with the new or the remans? did you go up a size and do you have any smoke?

Mhennessy , Jul 28, 2020
  8. Tuesdak

I went new with the BBi Stage 1 NEW and then had my trucked tuned for no smoke. It looks like BBi now offers a stage 0.1 and it's only $2530.

Tuesdak , Jul 28, 2020
  9. Killer223

new stage .01. no smoke. and new crossover tubes.

Killer223 , Jul 28, 2020
    Tuesdak likes this.
  10. Mhennessy

I sure want the .5's as i tow a lot but the price tag of the .01's is right where my pocket book is. Maybe I can sell off a child or two for some extra funds. lol.
    Thanks for the help guys.

Mhennessy , Jul 28, 2020