1. mwilson TDR MEMBER

A little peek behind the curtain regarding Thermoking electronics....

This is a Yanmar powered TK unit, dual zone.

One half of the trailer can be set to one temperature and the other half to a different temperature....

For Example 0 degrees in the front and 34 degrees in the rear...

So this is the control panel, unit has just started. You can see actual and set point temps for each zone...

Then behind the scenes.....

Pretty neat, right???

mwilson , Jan 10, 2019
    Wiredawg and Tuesdak like this.
  2. TFucili

There is nothing simple anymore. Are those Yanmars common rail now, Mike?

TFucili , Jan 10, 2019
  3. mwilson TDR MEMBER

1AEAE2F5-18B1-4412-AE4D-685B6163B7A0.jpeg #ad
    Just checked with my TK guy, the Precedent S600 has a common rail Yanmar. They first came with a common rail Peugeot engine but have since been converted to Yanmar's......

It's all about the horsepower, the newest multi temp units need a bigger compressor so once you go over 25 hp the rules change....smaller and older Yanmar's are still mechanical such as this one...

mwilson , Jan 10, 2019
  4. TFucili

Yanmar used to be one of the few engine makers that made their own pumps and injectors.

TFucili , Jan 10, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  5. DavidC

All electronics are neat until the inevitable don't work day. Give me some relays, switches, contactors etc. and I'm happy. I use to have to work on the older units as the Concrete Batch plants would store ice for most of the mixes they would send out. Even tho there was very little electronics just the standard contactors etc. usually needed to be special order.

DavidC , Jan 10, 2019
    Wiredawg and TFucili like this.
  6. mwilson TDR MEMBER

The TK electronics are pretty tough, but they have to be where such high value cargo is involved. Sometimes these units hammer away for days at a time completely unattended. Keep fuel in the tank, the rest will take care of itself.....

mwilson , Jan 10, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  7. Wayne M.

Mike, with the dual zone unit, how are the zones controlled? Two whole compressors and evaps? One compressor and one evap with a blend door? Or like dual zone suv’s One compressor and 2 evaps?

Regarding the complexity, that don’t matter much to me, it’s how well the schematics are drawn.

Wayne M. , Jan 10, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  8. mwilson TDR MEMBER

One compressor, two evaporators and fans. One evaporator on the unit itself and one ceiling mounted remote.

In the case of a tri-zone unit like Walmart runs there is one compressor, the main evaporator on the unit itself and two ceiling mounted remote units.. That's when you cross the 25 hp threshold.....takes some serious Ooomph when all three zones are set to freezing or zero....

mwilson , Jan 10, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  9. TFucili

So 26 hp and up gets DEF and the full meal deal?

TFucili , Jan 10, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  10. mwilson TDR MEMBER

No DEF yet that I have seen...maybe a DPF on CARB compliant stuff, wonder if the electronic engine controls clean it up enough for the time being??

I’ll ask..

mwilson , Jan 10, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  11. Wayne M.

We got a new Yale forklift a 5-6k medium, and it has a small DOC. Same goes for our Gehl skids.

Wayne M. , Jan 10, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  12. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Can’t get too carried away with regulations on these units or people could go hungry....

mwilson , Jan 10, 2019
    TFucili likes this.
  13. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Loaded with temperature sensitive product, can’t perform a regen so it derates and / or shuts down and ruins the load...

See where I’m going with this....

Ice Cream running out the back doors...

Hershey’s Chocolate all melted into one big glob...

Dead smelly lobster......

Jackson Lab load of see through research mice arrive at the airport ..... DOA...

mwilson , Jan 10, 2019
    Wiredawg likes this.
  14. BarryG TDR MEMBER

We use those dual zone units (not necessarily those specific ones). twice a year at our stores. Thanksgiving and Xmas for a week or so each time. They are usually pretty good but we have had them fail. The trailers are holding 200k in product. The freezer side isn’t usually a problem as it can survive if it shuts down for a while and if it is cold out no problem bigger issue is if it is cold and reefer side goes out we have had the product freeze no engine no heat to keep it from freezing. Nothing like getting there in morning to find a bunch of fresh product frozen and ruined that was supposed to go to customers on the day before thanksgiving or Xmas eve

BarryG , Jan 10, 2019
    Wiredawg and Wayne M. like this.
  15. mwilson TDR MEMBER

They are probably sending worn out units for that storage duty......:D

Hoping they won't break down....50% odds...

Seen something similar over to the local hospital, a worn out rental trailer / reefer unit to store medical waste and other things I won't mention.....didn't the guys hate to go over there when that trailer threw a headfit...

mwilson , Jan 10, 2019
    Wiredawg and TFucili like this.
  16. Napafordtech2442

How many compressors are in a multi-temp/multi-zone thermo king unit

Napafordtech2442 , Mar 26, 2020
    Wiredawg likes this.
  17. BIGNASTY

Looking at the picture I'm VERY HAPPY that with BIG HANDS I didn't continue my mechanic profession thoughts when I was younger.

BIGNASTY , Mar 26, 2020
  18. CBari

I have always wondered about using refers to ship fresh hay as the climate can be controlled and moisture removed to prevent the molding. Just say keeping the container at 50-60 degrees would that be a doable thing. This is me thinking outside the box. I had an opportunity to ship hay to Saudi several years ago but that was a problem when the hay was put in a standard container.

CBari , Mar 26, 2020
  19. BIGNASTY

feed-ingredients-alfalfa-cubes-16-percent-800x800.jpg #ad
    Most alfalfa hay I've seen or heard of being shipped in containers is Cake Type

BIGNASTY , Mar 26, 2020
  20. CBari

Yeah they were wanting grass hay not alfalfa and the premium they were willing to pay was stupid money for hay but it had to arrive without mold I ended up declining.

CBari , Mar 26, 2020