1. AClayton

To all,

Long story short... ... ... . I had to negotiate a u-turn with my truck pulling my 5th wheel. I went to the side of the highway where it appeared that large trucks use for a rest area or turnaround and started with my turn. After looking both ways and seeing nothing, I nudged out and looked both ways again as a safety precaution. Good thing because a mini-truck was blasting up the hill as fast as he could muster:eek: That thing had loud pipes which was the only thing that gave me the extra second I needed!!! Anyway, I slammed on the brakes and of course my Brakesmart locked all 6 wheels and stopped me in a hurry. Because my truck and trailer were nearly jackknifed due to me making a U-turn, it felt as if it pulled the entire truck off the passenger side tires:eek: After backing off the road, I checked to assess the damage to my 5th wheel hitch and to my surprise, NOTHING WRONG;)

If anybody needs a new hitch, I will strongly recommend Reese products. I have always used their WD systems over the yrs and honestly never pulled with a 5th wheel hitch until April... ... . when I purchased my Raptor Toyhauler. Don't know if any other brand would have survived that abusive behavior, but the Reese did and did it well!

Alan

AClayton , Feb 7, 2011
  2. HBarlow

Yep, me too. Reese is tough, durable, and probably the oldest hitch manufacturer in the industry. They build very practical and reliable hitches. Many of the no name hitches that have only been in the market for a few years copy the Reese design.

Mine was installed on my first Dodge Ram, an '01 dually, in 2003 when I bought a fifth wheel. I used it on the '01 then an '06 during the three years I transported trailers then moved it to my current truck. I had a welder cut the platform to shorten the base by about 4" to allow sufficient clearance when I mounted it on the taller flatbed of my current cab and chassis. It has several hundred thousand towing miles on it and still works as good as new.

Some of the popular no names in the industry don't latch as tightly around the kingpin and allow a thunk on startup and another thunk when stopping, don't latch as securely, and are made of softer materials that wear faster.

HBarlow , Feb 7, 2011