1. THenningsen

where do you all suggest I could learn to weld? Obviously a trade school but that seems pricey. Would it be better to pay a welder on his off time to teach me? Surely there are classes out there to be taken without enrolling in a school. Any ides?

THenningsen , Mar 5, 2007
  2. Cashin

Welding

Where do you live? I have a welding shop in the richmond, va. area. If you are close I would be glad to teach you. Cashin

Cashin , Mar 5, 2007
  3. ShaneBoone

Vo-tech school

Vo-tech schools at your local school district will mostly likely offer adult education classes in the evening. The location where I grew-up would also state cert. for processes,

MIG, TIG, Stick

flat, vert, overhead, flux core, and pipe

ShaneBoone , Mar 5, 2007
  4. THenningsen

i'm in alabama

THenningsen , Mar 5, 2007
  5. GHarman

THenningsen, Night classes through your local community college, if they have them. A UNION apprenticeship is another option, depending on your age and apptitude. On the job training, starting as a grunt laborer and working into a company training program. Buy your own equipment and get the MILLER, LINCOLN, HOBART training videos. I started by learning to oxy-acetylene weld in gunsmithing school. Went to work for a local natural gas utility as a laborer. Passed the Oxyacetylene welding test the first day of training. Accepted into their apprenticeship program and went to welding classes at night. Learned stick welding and after the 3. 5 years ( received a 6 month jump because of my welding skills) became a journeyman and was promoted to lead welder. Passed SMAW API-1104 test first try. Quit gas company ,went to work for a DOE contractor, learned GTAW (tig), got certified. entered into maintainence as a pipe-fitter,weldor. Also was a production weldor. I tell you MY basic history to encourage you in your path. It can be a linear progression or a bunch of diverse trails as it was with me. I am now retired and have a small shop and a young son to, hopefully, pass on some of what I have learned. Hope you do well. GregH

GHarman , Mar 5, 2007
  6. GHarman

PS, Dont forget to post your progression here, along with your questions. There are many excellent welders available, on this website, that can talk you through any problem that you may encounter. GregH

GHarman , Mar 5, 2007
  7. GMike

welders handbook

I learned at an adult education class at a high school. The cost then, about 30 years ago was $2. 00 a night. I sure burnt up a lot of their supplies for $2. 00. The instructor said he would focus on the people who needed it for their job, or needed to be certified. It was good enough to just watch, then try to copy what I saw.

I stumbled across a book, "Welders Handbook" by Richard Finch HPBOOKS-1264. It is on Amazon.com. Great book, $14. 00. When I just checked I saw he has a revised edition HP-BOOKS-1513 which I just ordered.

Great book easy to follow and lots of tips

Mike

GMike , Mar 5, 2007
  8. Grizzly

I took night classes on welding at our Technical Vocational Institute, TVI, a Community College, in Albuquerque.

Grizzly , Mar 5, 2007
  9. vssman

Call a few local welding supply/gas supply shops. They usually know of a local welder that teaches and possibly certifies on the side.

vssman , Mar 5, 2007
  10. GHarman

THenningsen, What is your goal? Self improvement and hobby application? Or are you doing this for Career enhancement? Career enhancement is certainly a worthy goal with the possibility to earn very good wages. Check out the AMERICAN WELDING SOCIETY at www.AWS.org. On the left side link; read the article titled "Where Have All the Welders Gone". There might be someone who would be able to train you individually but that would be a rare and unique situation. The expense to the trainor would be far and above the benefit to this person unless he/she is an ANGEL looking for someone to step into their shoes. Remember, a student is not better than the teacher, therefore a wise student learns from as many teachers as possible. Each opportunity to work with a new individual is a new learning experience. Be careful of those that claim to certify you. Outside of an organized structure that has Weld Procedure Specifications, specific Welder Qualifications, QA/QC materials control and a whole list of requirements the "certification" with a card is worthless. A Certification granted by anyone other than an AWS Certified Welding Inspector is suspect. To locate a welding school near you in Alabama go to www.aws.org. At the top of the page the website tool bar has Education , third from the left in the blue highlighted bar. Click and go down the menu to Welding School Locator. Follow the instructions, if you are serious. Oo. GregH

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
    GHarman , Mar 5, 2007
  11. opjohnny

I am taking a welding class right now from the jr college. It is a stick class but we have been doing some oaw. I will take the tig class next. Had to take the stick first before I could take the tig. I have a Miller 180 tig/stick machine I need to get wired up. Then I can start chasing the puddle at home.

opjohnny , Mar 5, 2007
  12. bighammer

I saw a Century 230 amp AC stick welder in the paper for $100 including 2 masks (or do you call 'em helmets?) the wires, and a few accessories. I jumped on it and got it wired up and started playing with it. I went to a local welding shop and talked with them and they were very helpful. The told me to load up some different sizes, shapes, and thicknesses from their scrap bin and practice. I'm still sort of a bird poop welder, but I can usually make it strong enough even though it's not pretty.

I keep wondering if a lens that changes wouldn't help a bit. (I tend to flip down 6" away and just poke away :-laf )

I had somebody give me a sailboat that had been run into a dock or something. The bow pulpit was sort of mangled so I bought a short piece of 1" stainless tube and some stainless sticks and practiced till I got it. After grinding, sanding, & polishing, you really have to look for where it was spliced. (I'm still kind of proud of that one :) )

I dream of taking some courses, but like so many other things, my interest is much higher than my motivation or time.

bighammer , Mar 5, 2007
  13. rbattelle TDR MEMBER

I think I've become "competent" for simple hobby welding just by talking with people here and practice, practice, practice. Tons of practice. And did I mention you should practice?

I only do stick. Suits me, because I like to overbuild everything using THICK metals.

Ryan

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
    rbattelle , Mar 5, 2007
  14. GHarman

opjohnny and bighammer, Good for both of you. Oo. An electronic welding lens is one of the best of the new inventions. It makes it easier on the weldor's neck. There is a learning curve, you need to learn how to use one correctly. Learn to start your rod in the zone that needs to be welded. Arc strikes outside the weld zone are unacceptable and alter the local metallurgical structure of the of the surrounding base metal by setting up stress risers where none should be. There is a good living to be made out there by young people that know their welding, associated metallurgy, codes and SAFETY. There are potential employers out there that will treat you like you have a size three hat and a size 60 chest. Learn to know when to say NO. Learn how to negotiate with a hard nosed employer who only is interested in getting the job done, at the expense of your health and safety. This is part of any job, particularly welding, pipefitting, boilermaking and other heavy industrial trades. This is one of the reasons I am pro-collective bargaining. That choice is yours to make. Feel free to ask questions. As I said before, There is always someone on this website that has the expertise and willingness to help you better yourself in this trade. Oo. GregH

GHarman , Mar 5, 2007
  15. GHarman

Ryan, U-DA-MAN! Keep practicing! GregH

GHarman , Mar 5, 2007
  16. THenningsen

Thanks for the great info. Welding seems like such a great skill to have. I am interested for hobby/personal reasons, not as a career. I work night shift and have two babies, so time and money are limited, but hopefully I can find something to fit my schedule. Thanks again.

THenningsen , Mar 6, 2007
  17. GiesJ

THenningsen -

I encourage you to post your progress here or talk with some of the more exprienced people like GregH. I have learned tons from reading his posts. I work in an ASME Nuclear Code welding shop and can tell you that you have some great mentors here - don't be afraid to ask questions or show your work - whatever it looks like.

GiesJ , Mar 6, 2007
  18. Loghead

I went to a Voc-Tech night class to get started. A few months later, I got my first "real" job, building submarines. Though I was employed as a shipfitter (not a welder), over the years I was able to pick up many techniques by observing(wearing a shield, of course) the many first rate welders that worked with me.

The best $110 I ever spent was on a used Hobart AC stick machine. Besides giving me equipment on which to practice (essential), I've been able to maintain, repair and fabricate cars and trucks, snowplows and wood furnaces.

I'm certainly not as skilled as most of the welders I worked with, but I can say that my work easily exceeds what you'll find on most landscaping/heavy equipment or trailers, which we all willing entrust with our lives and well being.

Loghead , Mar 9, 2007
  19. GMike

welders handbook

THenningsen

As mentioned above I ordered, and today recieved, the welders handbook. The old one I have was revised in 1997. I would be happy to send you the old one free.

Mike

GMike , Mar 9, 2007
  20. THenningsen

GMike- that would be great! Give me your email address and I'll get you my address. Thanks.

Todd

THenningsen , Mar 10, 2007