Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIMOTHY LEADLEY

Hubb Reusable Oil Filters came through on my feed after I looked a filter pricing. Looking for input on the Hubb reusable oil filter. Anyone have a good/bad experience? Is it worth the $120 cost for the filter plus $240 for the cleaning device?

TIMOTHY LEADLEY , Aug 1, 2022
  2. lpennock

$360 would buy about 24 Fleetguard Nano filters. At standard 6 month 15K mile change interval it would take over 10 years or 360K miles to break even. If you really crank up the miles each year or have a fleet you can spread the cost of the cleaner across it might be worth it but at standard intervals on one truck I can't see the return. Also you would need to factor the extra time to clean the filter vs just spinning on a new filter.

lpennock , Aug 1, 2022
  3. TIMOTHY LEADLEY

Thanks for proving the math I did as well. I was more concerned does their marketing spin for the products match the real world results. Plus does it void your warranty with Cummins?

TIMOTHY LEADLEY , Aug 1, 2022
  4. lpennock

99% Efficiency at removing oil contaminants at 25 microns slightly better than OEM filters so I doubt it would impact the warranty. LF3972 is only a 30um filter and meets the specs. Stratapore and Donaldson blue are better than 20um though.

lpennock , Aug 1, 2022
    AH64ID likes this.
  5. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Off course it voids the warranty if you use a filter that isn't approved from Mopar/Cummins.

If something fails related to oil they will blame it one you - then you can try to get your cost from the filter manufacturer which off course will say it wasn't his fault. And so on.

Ozymandias , Aug 2, 2022
    06 Dodge likes this.
  6. gtwitch

Look like we are going back about 50 years to the "here put this roll of toilet paper in the canister and put this whole thing in the oil circ system and call it a oil filter" I did use one of these on my 1963 Volkswagon , as they had no oil filter system, only a screen on the oil pump pick up. I could see no real advantage of doing that except that I put a cooler unit on the return line to the engine and I think that did more good than anything. I will stay with the Stratapore Fleetguard for my $10k engine, thanks Cummins!
    gtwitch in wyoming

gtwitch , Aug 2, 2022
    Ozymandias likes this.
  7. Imjustdave

My initial thoughts were how would ram support warrantee claims, but it might not be much different than if you used an off brand filter.

It does seem they they have a filter exchange option making initial entry cost a bit lower. but then your mailing dirty filter around..

it might be better ... assume it is if the data they present is real.

My worry is some mechanic doesn't know what it is and throws it away, warrantee questions come up and just the time involved in cleaning ETC vs swapping. I know a few of my cars went from spin on spin off styles to canister and cleaning the canister was a pain.

Imjustdave , Aug 14, 2022