Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raxley

I have a wrecked 2005 Ram 2500, auto, diesel. I've put a few dollars into transmission, input, Gorend conv., flex plate etc. The truck has just over 70,000 miles.
    I'm going to have somebody pull the engine, I've been "carrying" this wreck with me for 10+ years and I cannot store it anymore.
    Should I keep engine attached to trans? I think the engine alone is 1000 lbs?
    Does somebody with a truck, with a attached cherry picker, move it?
    Is there anybody who makes something I could bolt it to, with wheels?
    Or should I separate them, to move them?

I have a lot of questions. I plan to store everything (but use parts from my 48re to my 1994 Dodge automatic 47hydraulic (or whatever is in my truck, an automatic).
    Is there anyway to get the 6 speeds from my 48re (think they're 6 speeds, it's been so long!) into my 1994 Dodge?
    I'm going to make a trailer out of the bed, and eventually removed the driveshaft and rear differential and put them in 1994 (gets me discs on back). I'll use my present rear end in 1994 to put back on the bed that will be a trailer.

Can anybody tell me how they move engine and transmissions around?

I ALSO have another question. I plan to eventually sell the engine. If the engine is attached to transmission, will I be able to hook it to battery and start it?

raxley , May 23, 2021
  2. Tuesdak

Gave up on fixing it? What problem(s) stopped you?

Tuesdak , May 23, 2021
  3. jghflys

I have used heavy duty pallets modified to hold heavy equipment and used a pallet jack to move heavy projects around. Harbor Freight pallet jacks are relatively cheap and very maneuverable. If you are going to sell the engine anyway, Progressive told me a couple of months ago that my wrecked 2005 3500 with 245K miles had a salvage value of $6800. You may want to shop around some salvage yards and independent diesel shops to see what price you can get. You might get some money and save yourself some work. I fixed the truck by the way.

jghflys , May 23, 2021
  4. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Joe D. built an engine stand from some some 2x8's or 2x10's that went under the oil pan flange. You could build something similar on a pallet and use a pallet jack or you could put some casters on it to wheel it around. A word of warning, with casters on a stand or with it bolted to a conventional engine stand, it will be very top-heavy. If a caster or wheel hits a crack, gravel, or hole it will fall over very easily. I saw a boy drop one on an engine stand once, a wheel hit an air hose, and over she went.

BigPapa , May 24, 2021
  5. raxley

Too many people in auto body places told me it wasn't worth it. Too much damage. Also I found out from a body shop guy, that a 'firm fixed price' isn't a firm fixed price. They can always say, "well I didn't know it was this bad. What do you want us to do now?"

raxley , May 24, 2021
  6. raxley

Wow, I'll be very careful about that!
    Do you have experience doing auto body work? Of did you take it somewhere? Or a combination?
    I considered that, I do have a converter, input shaft, flex plate to remove. Also I have 2 turbos and the piping I want to save. I'll go ahead with transmission removal.

raxley , May 24, 2021
  7. Tuesdak

If you are going to part it out and sell the engine etc... might as well try to sell it complete "as is". Just saying you can't hardly steal a truck at the moment and someone somewhere will want it. List all your mods in the ad. It's easier than trying to strip and part it out esp. from a time standpoint.

What ballpark was the bodyshop quoting you anyway?

Tuesdak , May 24, 2021
    Ozymandias and jghflys like this.