1. JBlubaugh

My truck is a 2004. 5 ctd 3/4 ton 48re. I am looking at hualing a small load (100 bales 5000#) from Ohio to Florida. The trailer I have is a bumper pull with no brakes and I am wondering if that is safe going down mountains.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks,

Josh :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
    JBlubaugh , Nov 14, 2005
  2. PatrickCampbell

I would not want to haul a 5000# trailer without brakes but it is do-able.

Think about it like this : your brakes are about the same as those on a dually, and those brakes combined are rated for 12,000 #... . so you are probably 500-1000# over the brake limits on the truck according to the GVW.

Again I would not want to be doing it...

PatrickCampbell , Nov 14, 2005
  3. JimKing

So. . The question that begs to be asked... How many mountains are there between you and Florida ??

JimKing , Nov 14, 2005
  4. JBlubaugh

JimKing,

I know the appalachian mountains don't compare with the rockies, but there are still steep grades that can cause problems. Thanks for the intelligent remark.

Josh

JBlubaugh , Nov 14, 2005
  5. Nate

I've pulled my jeep and trailer, about 7k with no trailer brakes. I wouldn't recomend it, but it wasn't too bad.

Nate , Nov 14, 2005
  6. GaryCarter

Actually, I've got better questions-

How many times will someone pull out in front of you or do something to cause a panic stop?

Will the road be wet when that happens?

Does that location have a shoulder, or a guard rail?

Am I just a smart aleck, or the voice of experience?

In all seriousness, the mountain downgrades will not be your problem, assuming you mean interstates, and not the little backroad twisties. But one unplanned short stop can put you in the hospital or courtroom.

But you knew the answer when you posted the question, didn't you? ;)

Gary

GaryCarter , Nov 14, 2005
  7. Okie-Go

Three words, don't do it. I pull a gooseneck and wouldnot pull it empty without brakes working properley. I have always said if you are going to haul something have the trailer to haul it or have it done. From Ohio to Florida there is some good hills. I have a manual with exhaust brake. I have been down the route like you are talking about, please get some brakes and be safe!

Okie-Go , Nov 15, 2005
  8. Todd G

I thought you had to have brakes with more than 1 axle?

Todd G , Nov 15, 2005
  9. JimKing

Sorry. Is wasn't meant to be mean. I just have a difficult time picturing anyone pulling any weight at all with no trailer brake. For all the reasons given, and then some. Even a small incline may easily do you in, and that doesn't even take into account the poor slob who makes a dumb move in front of you. Good Luck. .

JimKing , Nov 15, 2005
  10. JBlubaugh

Thanks guys, for taking the time to answer my question.

Your answers have been very helpful. .

Josh

JBlubaugh , Nov 16, 2005
  11. JimB1

JB, Your set-up will jack-knife easily on any pavement that isn't completely dry & warm. A bit damp & cool, not even rain wet, if a attempted quick stop pushes your back end even 1 foot off-line you'll probally never get it back. Good luck, JimB.

JimB1 , Nov 16, 2005