1. RBeard TDR MEMBER

What pressure do you keep in your tires, when not using your trailer. I have a 24' GN tandem single wheel that I haul with on a monthly/bi-weekly basis. Carlisle 235/80/16 with 85psi max. loaded pressure. I store it outside with wheels covered from sun and on concrete pads.

RBeard , Nov 12, 2014
  2. jhenderson

I leave mine at max pressure. Helps fight flat spots and the trailer is always ready for work.

jhenderson , Nov 12, 2014
  3. Dieselnerd

My trailer has G rated tires that I always keep inflated to the rated pressure of 110 PSI.

Dieselnerd , Nov 13, 2014
  4. Jim W TDR MEMBER

I too store my trailer tires at max air pressure and on 2X8 boards to keep the tires off of the ground surface regardless of surface material. They are also sprayed twice a season with a cleaner and a product to protect the tires with a cover over them also when not in use. I use a product called Meguiar Professional Vinyl & Conditioner NO. 40; which you can purchase at a NAPA store.

Jim W.

Jim W , Nov 13, 2014
  5. RBeard TDR MEMBER

Thanks Guys,
    I thought that was the right thing to do, I just wanted to hear it from others.

RBeard , Nov 13, 2014
  6. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

If you want to be accurate use the weight/inflation chart for your tires. If you haul any distance empty I would air down per the charts and also when loaded.

Cummins12V98 , Nov 14, 2014
  7. KATOOM

Trailer tires are designed to run at max psi at all times. There is no variables for weight as all their support is lateral. Run them lower than the max psi and they built up heat fast. Obviously the amount of heat is going to be related to the amount of weight on the lower psi tire but no matter, there's no point in running them softer since ride quality generally isnt a concern. If you have a horse trailer and you want the horses to have a smoother ride then install a softer suspension but the tires need to be aired properly. I leave mine at the max psi as well.

KATOOM , Nov 26, 2014
  8. JR

I have the same tires and I generally air them up to around 70-75 psi unless I'm going to be close to the max GVW of my trailer. The few times I've ran long haul empty I aired the tires down to 55psi to keep the trailer from bouncing around so much. I keep an infrared temp gun in my center console to check wheel bearings and brakes periodically and I've never experienced any excessive heat from running lower pressures.

9. MLee TDR MEMBER

I researched this awhile back, and found that the manufactures recommend 10# over the cold inflation numbers. to help maintain shape and and eliminate flat spotting. Also they recommend to jack up each tire and rotate each tire 50% revolution wise to relieve the strain from siting for long periods of time in one spot.
    Then before using your rig re-adjust the air pressure to what you want it to be. ( In the spring or after sitting for long periods of time, Change the air for fresh air and your good to go). and don't forget to do the 5th wheel (hitch) also.

MLee , Nov 26, 2014