1. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

Does anyone know how much diesel you can haul in the bed in fuel cells in your personal truck? Say if you were traveling from Wisconsin to Montana for a hunting trip. Can you legally haul 2 one hundred gallon cells in the bed?

TRAMPLINEMAN , Oct 28, 2014
  2. Bob4x4

Not without a hazmat endorsement on a cdl

Bob4x4 , Oct 28, 2014
  3. BIGNASTY

I would think that you would also have so make sure of its containment, just to toss some fuel bags in the bed of a truck is screaming TERROIST if the wrong person looks at it wrong.

BIGNASTY , Oct 28, 2014
  4. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

Ok, these fuel cells would be bolted to the bed. They both have transfer pumps on them and would be wired to the battery. I'm pretty sure you don't need a CDL, this would be on a personal truck. But, this driver does have a cdl and hazmat endorsements. Anyway, it would be just like your regular Joe blow towing his fifth wheel with an auxiliary tank in the bed. I'm just wondering if there is a limit as to how much you can haul, thanks for the replies!!

TRAMPLINEMAN , Oct 28, 2014
  5. mfurrh55

I hauled a couple of them over hoover dam, all they asked was if they were bolted down, they glanced at them then let me go on my way,Monte

mfurrh55 , Oct 28, 2014
  6. kcv67

Are you afraid of the fuel here in Montana?

kcv67 , Oct 29, 2014
  7. BIGNASTY

There is an amount that its required to have FULL Dot specs on installation and same goes with the CDL requirement Im not sure what it is, but Hazmat in a freight van is anything over 500 gal of Hazmat is required to have a CDL endorsement, that's why Market haulers wont haul more than 500 gal of charcoal lighter fluid and certain household cleaning chemicals. Easy enough to look up under Hazmat endorsements on the DMV study guide if you need to know or call the DOT and im sure that they will fill you in.

Kcv67

Why should I be afraid of fuel in Montana? Im going to start burning Diesel full time in the coming week, its getting to cold and my Homemade BIO will gel unless I add regular Diesel or some chemicals that keeps BIO 100 from gelling that I don't want to run thru my motor, We just got in 2300 gal of Red Dye Diesel for the tractors I helped the driver unload it, smelled and runs just like always

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    BIGNASTY , Oct 29, 2014
  8. kcv67

Just wondering why they want to haul an extra 200 gallons of fuel.

kcv67 , Oct 29, 2014
  9. BIGNASTY

In my Dodge I have the normal 35 or 38 gal tank and then a 65gal aux tank and wish I would have gone bigger on the Aux tank.

BIGNASTY , Oct 29, 2014
  10. jelag

I had a 160 gal aluminum truck tank in the bed of one of my Fords... we had DOT#'s and company logo on the truck... we drove the truck for 400K miles before we sold it... not once did anyone question the tank... often during an inspection at a scale house the inspector would open the lid and look into the tank for red dyed diesel... not finding any he'd put the lid back on the tank... In another truck we had a steel rectangle home made tank that held something like 170 gal as I remember..

On one of the International 3 axle trucks we had (2) 150 gal tanks so we could round trip to Edmonton Canada and Medicine Hat Canada from WA state without having to fuel in Canada....

In both cases, we were never questioned about the tanks or the fuel... We traveled 8 western states and 3 provinces of Canada with several trucks over 20 years... and I can't remember anyone questioning our tanks or quantity...

Just my thoughts.. OH BTW my current truck has a home made 60 gal under the flat bed on the passenger side and the stock tank..

jelag , Oct 29, 2014
  11. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

Thanks for all the replies.

kcv67, cause we get a 100% discount here.

TRAMPLINEMAN , Oct 30, 2014
  12. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

So you are stealing the fuel from someone or some place?

SnoKing , Oct 30, 2014
  13. TRAMPLINEMAN TDR MEMBER

Negative, we did a job for a guy who's funding the trip and said he'd fill us here. He's not going with to Montana.

TRAMPLINEMAN , Oct 30, 2014
  14. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

So just give him your fuel receipts when you get back. Much easier!!!! Got to get out and walk around once in a while anyway. Snoking

SnoKing , Oct 30, 2014
  15. mwilson TDR MEMBER

My last Class 8 tractor carried 300+ gallons split between three frame mounted fuel tanks. You don't see trucks carry much more than that because of the weight. If you are trying to scale 50,000 lbs of payload you don't fill the fuel tanks anyways unless you have a 10' spread trailer.
    But I have never seen any restriction on quantity as longs as the tanks are DOT compliant, mounted and plumbed correctly if tied into the vehicle fuel system. I suppose if a fella' tried to carry 1,000 gallons with him there might be some issues but a couple of hundred should be unnoticed.

Free fuel is good fuel, I don't care who you are.........:D

Mike.

mwilson , Oct 30, 2014
  16. Stab TDR MEMBER

When you can find fuel in Wyoming & Missouri @ $.50 cheaper per gallon than you can in Colo-fornia or many other high tax states, it just adds up over time!
    It really doesen't matter if it's to relieve yourself or streach your legs. It's always a pain refueling while towing anything. So the less stops you have to make to REFUEL the truck the better!

Stab , Nov 1, 2014
  17. bigblock_doc TDR MEMBER

I think it goes by weight. Less than a 1000 pounds. Then you need a hasmat and placard on the truck or trailer.
    That's why race teams buy fuel at the track.

bigblock_doc , Nov 11, 2014
  18. Dl5treez

If you have a bulk tank rated for over 119 gallons, technically, it is supposed to be placarded. However, in a private vehicle there is little if any enforcement of that.

Commercial carriers are required to have placards and corresponding licenses if the tanks are rated at over 119 gallons, or any combination thereof aggregated to 1,000 gallons or more. This would include a pickup truck with permanently mounted 120 gallon or larger slip tank owned and operated by a commercial carrier.

The rub is if the tank is plumbed directly in to the vehicle's fuel system those placard requirements are eliminated as the vehicle is no longer a "bulk tank transport" vehicle. However...the tank must then meet all the requirements of a vehicle fuel storage tank, not a transfer/slip tank. So, plumbing a Weatherguard L tank into a trucks' fuel system is technically a no-no.

But, like I said, enforcement of this in a private vehicle rarely if ever occurs so as long as you're not leaking or driving like a maniac chances are you should be fine on your trip.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    Dl5treez , Nov 28, 2014
  19. Cooper_D

Wouldn't 200 gallons of diesel weigh around 1500 pounds?

How many mpg's will you lose hauling that much weight?

Not trying to be a problem just curious.

And I understand "free fuel is free" and I'd take that any day.:)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    Cooper_D , Nov 28, 2014
  20. S.Morris

My aux is 90 USG or 340L and I can see no difference either way full or empty as regards to mileage but it sure rides better full:D I don't normally brake or accellerate too hard.

S.Morris , Nov 28, 2014