Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldroostman

Any body having condensation inside the new projector headlamps? What causes this ?

Oldroostman , Feb 23, 2016
  2. wyosteve TDR MEMBER

I believe there was a thread on this about 6 weeks ago. Might do a search. If I remember correctly, it was normal for a slight bit of condensation which would then vaporize when the lamps were turned on. If it's more than that or doesn't go away, then there might be a problem.

wyosteve , Feb 24, 2016
  3. Oldroostman

Thanks for the reply,I tried searching but had no results.worse this morning ,you can see water droplets inside the lights .a guy pays so much for these trucks you wouldn't think one would have to go through warranty hassles all the time.

Oldroostman , Feb 24, 2016
  4. watersupply189

Mine has done this since I bought my 2016 two months ago. Its not the whole light just around the bottom at the turn signals....

watersupply189 , Feb 24, 2016
  5. Oldroostman

They tried telling me that it was normal? I don't think so.

6. Mingoglia

I'll check mine. I'm in ATL and it's quite moist here. Been raining and misting for 3 days so if I have this issue, it should show. I know on one of my other cars I had the issue and ignored it thinking it wasn't a big deal...until it screwed up my HID lights right after it went out of warranty. That was an expensive lesson.

Mingoglia , Feb 24, 2016
  7. watersupply189

Yeah I agree with you, that is exactly what they said to me also....

watersupply189 , Feb 24, 2016
  8. Oldroostman

Well,the dealer says they will be both replaced under warranty.hope they don't wreck anything else installing them.ill let you guys know how it works out .

9. sag2 TDR MEMBER

Replacing them will most likely result in the same thing you have now. The lamps have a small vent hole. When the lamps get hot from being on and you shut them off in a moist environment they cool and draw moisture laden air into the housing. When it gets cold the moisture condenses on the inside of the lamp. When the lamp heats up it turns the moisture to vapor and it goes out the vent, and on and on it goes. So save them ruining something else, and a bunch of wasted money that will get passed onto everyone else in the future. There is also a Star case or TSB that gets updated every couple of years that tells the dealers not to change them because it's normal.

I suppose if you can change the physics of humidity, heating and cooling then your right, it isn't normal. Good luck.

sag2 , Feb 25, 2016
  10. Oldroostman

I thought the same thing ,just seems odd that the problem just happened as I have owned the truck 8 months and not had it happen prior.it is a period weather wise where we have cold nights and warmer days as the melt is occurring in my area in southern British Columbia ,Canada .i hate bringing my truck to the dealer .

Oldroostman , Feb 25, 2016
  11. Doubleclutch TDR MEMBER

The unasked question is whether the plastic housing has been known to allow inleakage from a seam. Our T&C van has so much condensation in it's one headlight housing that all the reflective plastic has dissolved, leaving a bare black plastic non-reflective surface. Perhaps since it's only on one side, I've answered my question, and ask you whether both your headlights are getting frosted. Thanks SAG2 for your postings!

Doubleclutch , Feb 26, 2016
  12. Offshore1

I know someone who made these lamps and it's not normal. It indicates a leak in the plastic welds.

Offshore1 , Feb 26, 2016
  13. Oldroostman

If it's " normal " it sucks ,85000 msrp really ? Water in the headlights kind of a joke .

Oldroostman , Feb 26, 2016
  14. Oldroostman

Warranty nullifys out of pocket cash, but doesn't pay for your hassle .i got water inside my headlights!lots of money my truck cost, shouldn't have to deal with this bull****. Makes me concerned about build quality.

Oldroostman , Feb 26, 2016
  15. Doubleclutch TDR MEMBER

Except for my drowning headlight, which probably has a crack in one of the seams- it sounds like physics. Heated air expands out, cold air sucks in. If the condensed water in the headlight housing doesn't get warm enough to flash off and get blown out, a cloud remains. Perhaps humidity levels in the outside air is a factor? Just like your fuel tank, air goes in, air goes out. That's not build quality.

Doubleclutch , Feb 27, 2016