1. MxerChris

just got a 99 3500 QC that has air bags on the rear, my ? is how much air to put in or what range would I need to stay in when filling these? How much is to much? Don't want to blow one out. Thanks.

MxerChris , Mar 28, 2008
  2. TRLRTRSH

Air Bags

Mxer, You don't say what brand/name you have for airbags.

On my AirLift 5000 bags the minimum is 10 psi the max is 110(?) if I remember correctly. Although when hooking up to the fiver or hauling a heavy load you can adjust the high end to meet your needs. Not always best to have the max psi. When towing the fiver I inflate to about 80 psi then put the weight on.

Seems you should be able to go online and find the owners/users manual for whatever brand you have.

TRLRTRSH , Mar 28, 2008
  3. ENafziger

The bags I have recommend no less than 5 psi and no more than 100. Where you set it betwee 5 - 100 psi is up to you, and depends on the ride you're looking for, and what it takes to level the truck with a load.

--Eric

ENafziger , Mar 28, 2008
  4. MxerChris

OK, I'll have to try and find out what brand they are, they where already on the truck when I bought it so I'm not sure. Thanks.

MxerChris , Mar 28, 2008
  5. jelag

The air lifts that I have used in the past provided a drivers door sticker so you have something to reference to... .

We use them to level the truck..... don't think we've ever had them over 85-90 psi even though they are rated to 100.

jelag , Mar 28, 2008
  6. BDeMartile

I've got Firestone Ride Rites they say minimum of 10 max of 100. I use them to level only usually about 60-70psi loaded with 5ver. I put the trailer on first then air them up. At 10 psi to start with the 5ver on the gauge goes to about 40 psi. If you air them first then put a load on be sure to check the final psi it climbs quickly.

BDeMartile , Mar 29, 2008
  7. BCring

I've got the firestones on my 04 2500. I haul a truck camper (appx 1800lbs) and a 26ft dbl Jeep trailer (appx 11k with 1000 lbs tounge). Fully loaded I run them at 80psi. Otherwise I run between 0-60psi. YES I run my at ZERO. I have done this for the past 30k. With no tears or bag collapses. As long as you have the bellows bags (look like stacked donuts) there is almost no chance of the bag collapsing on itself and tearing. As when the suspension compresses the bag will get pressure in it. So from my experience run 0 and get maintain your stock ride.

BCring , Mar 29, 2008
  8. JSpencer

I also have Firestone airbags on my 04. 5 2500. Our fw pin is 1885. I fill them to 20 unloaded and they bump up to 30+ when the rig is on. I will balance them if there is a differential, but not to exceed the one with highest pressure. I allow the springs to take some of the load, that's what their for. My use of the airbags is to take up slack and allow springs some travel.

Not hauling I let the air out to allow for a stock ride. Even with the air "released" there is air inside, so there should be no damage with the usual road travel. Off roading I'd suggest some air, say 5-10 to keep them from pancaking. When my truck is serviced, I don't allow them to lift by the frame, only by the rear axle.

Jim

JSpencer , Mar 30, 2008
  9. Garlic

I installed the ones on the 96 to run 0 psi unloaded. They are still functional with no leaks at 170,000 miles and 11 years. I've had them to 125 psi a few times for a couple of loads of gravel (10,900 lbs through the scales. )

Garlic , Mar 31, 2008
  10. steved

I have Firestone's, minimum 5 and max 100...

I run with around 10psi all the time... the truck rides better because the rear leaves are pretty soft and it brings things back up to a normal ride height.

When I had my slide in (around 1500 psi) it only took 30-40 psi to level...

steved , Apr 1, 2008