Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redandwhitebrit TDR MEMBER

I am attempting to remove parts on my truck to access the timing cover/crankshaft seal. I purchased the fan clutch wrench set from Geno's and was surprised by the wrench being overcut on the laser table so that did not work to remove the fan clutch nut. I tried a pneumatic set that the shop I was using had available and that was not up to the task of removing the nut. I am asking the forum if I am correct in assuming that my 2016 uses a left hand thread on this large nut? My research leads me to this conclusion, but I would ask for confirmation. Thanks in advance for your answers.

redandwhitebrit , Sep 13, 2022
  2. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    Ozymandias , Sep 13, 2022
    Rob S likes this.
  3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

And I'm dead sure that Genos will send you a replacement set if wrenches for free. Their customer service is great.

4. redandwhitebrit TDR MEMBER

When I applied the pneumatic wrench to the nut today using the right hand thread information, the nut/fan clutch came loose. I have read in many different places and heard from the Geno's folks today that my truck is left hand threads. I believe a left hand thread means you turn a wrench to the right to loosen and to the left to tighten. If you were sitting in the cab looking out the windshield then I guess that would be a left hand threaded nut........but if you are draped over the radiator it is a right hand thread?

redandwhitebrit , Sep 13, 2022
  5. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

No matter what - there is "standard" thread in 99.99% of all bolts, screws, nuts whatsoever and this is right hand thread.
    And that's what the Fan has, since 2002.
    Glad you got it off.

6. redandwhitebrit TDR MEMBER

Update to the front crankshaft seal replacement. I finished making the move into our Arizona house and had time to tackle the crankshaft seal job. I sent the Geno's wrench set back (no refund as of yet), and purchased a set to fit my air hammer. Completed the job over two days and was very surprised how hard the Cummins seal had become in 112,000 miles. The replacement I had dreaded turned out to be fairly simple and with the assistance of Youtube I now have a leak free truck.

redandwhitebrit , Nov 13, 2022
  7. Walker111

How bad was yours leaking? I've had a front main seep since 6k miles. Took it to a known good dealer back then, told them it was the front main seal, they had it for 4 days and when I picked it up they said the front differential wasnt leaking. That was the last time I went to a dealer. Truck has 110k on it and its never been replaced, still doesnt leave a drop on the garage floor.

Walker111 , Nov 30, 2022
  8. redandwhitebrit TDR MEMBER

The seal leak started in late July this year as we were pulling our travel trailer down to Arizona. The leak was severe enough to coat the underside of the truck and spray a fine mist of oil all over the trailer. When stopped it would puddle under the front of the truck. I lost a quart+ of oil in 1600 miles of driving. So, I think it was fairly severe and should not have happened in 112,000 miles.

redandwhitebrit , Nov 30, 2022
  9. Walker111

Damn, that's a heck of a leak.

Walker111 , Nov 30, 2022