Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPM TDR MEMBER

2. lpennock

They would be fine. Most truck campers have a COG that is pretty close to centered over the back axle to a bit in front of the axle.

Biggest thing to watch is the rear axle weight. Very easy to buy campers that are too heavy for the rear axle weight, especially on a SRW. Truck Camper magazine has a buyers guide with Wet weights for a lot of campers. Get the truck weighted so you have the actual remaining GAWR on the rear axle and then use the buyers guide to find a camper that has a wet weight under your remaining GAWR and GVWR.

lpennock , Nov 17, 2022
    monovasia and Tuesdak like this.
  3. SSchang

Don't know about mega cab short beds, but I had a short bed camper on a long bed truck at one time. I built a 16"(?) spacer to keep the camper away from the front of the bed. So I suppose that's the same as a Mega cab with a short bed camper. It worked fine. Pretty much all of the camper weight rides on the rear axle anyway. LongBedTruckShortbedcamper.JPG #ad

SSchang , Nov 17, 2022
    06 Dodge likes this.
  4. JPM TDR MEMBER

5. lpennock

I have the 2018 Ram Camper Guide. Here are some interesting numbers for your compare.

All numbers are for the Limited, w/Bucket seat, 6.7, 3500.
    CC Short Bed SRW GVW 11700 CWR(Camper Weight Rating) 2492
    CC Short Bed DRW GVW No listing
    Mega SRW GVW 12300 CWR 2758
    Mega DRW GVW 14000 CWR 4194
    CC Long Bed SRW GVW 12300 CWR 2931
    CC Long Bed DRW GVW 14000 CWR 4299

Bottom line is the CWR for the mega is pretty much between the SB and LB CC ratings. Makes sense as the WB is between the two and there is less impact to the front axle weight as WB increases.

lpennock , Nov 18, 2022
  6. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

I feel someone posted this already. If not here is the sticker.

Screenshot_20221120_214928.jpg #ad

Timd32 , Nov 20, 2022
  7. JPM TDR MEMBER

thats the one I am drooling on, but there are some things I dont like, I wish they made a CC SB dually, I would like a color matched grill surround and bumper, I would have ordered the trailer tire monitors and probably would have liked steel wheels with covers so the tires and wheels could be rotated

8. JPM TDR MEMBER

my super low ball was not accepted, so me and my SRW truck will have to be good enough.

9. Timd32 TDR MEMBER

It's a wonder rig no doubt,

If you do buy one used low miles, check the dealer has the actual title and its not some sort of finance scam, lots of those going around.

It's kinda an odd dealer to have that vehicle.

Timd32 , Nov 22, 2022
  10. JPM TDR MEMBER

found this :)

mega 2021 Ok.jpg3.jpg #ad
    mega 2021 Ok.jpgggggg.jpg #ad

11. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

AH64ID , Nov 23, 2022
  12. JPM TDR MEMBER

everything but remote start, I am going to miss that heres my truck trade

DSC00498.JPG #ad

DSC00505.JPG #ad

AH64ID likes this.
  13. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Looks like a Longhorn, remote start is standard on Laramie and up trims.

AH64ID , Nov 23, 2022
  14. JPM TDR MEMBER

Limited Longhornie ;)

Got a quote, at a $30000 difference I don't think I'll move forward, I just don't think there is that much difference between trucks with similar mileage and drive trains to warrant $30k
    :(

15. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

All said and done I was under 20K to upgrade and start over on mileage and warranty, the mopar max care was on top of that. I also got more for the 18 than I paid for it.

Dad was around 30K, maybe a little more.

I think it was worth it for the clock reset, the truck is certainly more capable and nicer features but the long term timing and trade value are what swung me.

AH64ID , Nov 23, 2022
  16. JPM TDR MEMBER

Yea I was hoping to see an increase in value in my truck to help offset the difference

17. JPM TDR MEMBER

Still looking for real life experiences/opinions with a Ram 3500 mega cab short bed dually with a factory air suspension and a pu camper. (or photos of a 855/855s Lance on a long bed)

18. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Sell your truck outright you should net more $$$.

Cummins12V98 , Nov 24, 2022
  19. JPM TDR MEMBER

Yep, I should do that

20. endoscott

How much do you save tax-wise by trading it in, then only pay sales tax on the remainder? I never did the math but it could be significant depending on state. Or do they figure out how to screw you out of sales tax on the entire purchase price and not let you deduct trade-in?

endoscott , Nov 24, 2022