Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motorhead

My third brake light on my 2007 needs a new bulb. I took the screws out and tried to pull it straight out and it didn't want to move much. I looked and it seems the seal is stuck to the body finish. I have been waiting to change the bulb until I buy a new gasket. Is there a trick to remove the lamp assembly without tearing the seal?

Motorhead , Feb 8, 2021
  2. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Buy a new assembly, they are cheap.

Or seal it afterwards with RTV.

I've not heard that this foam seal can be bought as a replacement part.

Ozymandias , Feb 8, 2021
  3. JR

When my 3rd brake light began leaking I used this stuff.

It is a somewhat common issue on the early gen 4's so when mine began leaking I didnt even bother with another gasket or assembly. Its held up well in the 3+ years since I sealed it. At least on the gen 4 the gasket is very thin. Easy to see why so many leak.

4. Motorhead

Motorhead , Feb 8, 2021
    Ozymandias likes this.
  5. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Ozymandias , Feb 8, 2021
  6. 04blackcherry TDR MEMBER

I used the old school butyal tape that you set windshields with. No more leaking.

04blackcherry , Feb 18, 2021
    Motorhead likes this.
  7. bcbender TDR MEMBER

When I had my roof repainted recently I thought mine was "stuck" as it seemed waaaay to hard to pull out but it popped out w/o any damage. worth a shot, worst case you have to buy the seal... I never had it out in over 10y I owned it and doubt the PO did either.

bcbender , Feb 18, 2021
  8. mfurrh55

Heat it up with hair dryer

mfurrh55 , Feb 18, 2021
    bcbender and Motorhead like this.
  9. Motorhead

GOOD Idea!

Motorhead , Feb 18, 2021