Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Rig

I tried to pry the wheel cover off my 2004. 5 dually today & couldn't get it to budge. I guess I am afraid of bending or breaking it. Not sure if it is metal or something else.

I don't feel too smart right now. I need a little basic instruction. Anyone care to instruct a willing student?

Thanks,

Big Rig

Big Rig , Jun 9, 2005
  2. bmoeller

Are you taking off the center cap, or the wheel skin? If made the same as the '94, the wheelskin is stainless steel, center cap is plastic. They are tight fit. You will probably want to get a rubber malet to put them back on. A tad hard on the hands.

bmoeller , Jun 9, 2005
  3. Slow Six

You have to remove the center cap first. I made a small hook to reach in the small slot on the edge of the center cap. It takes a pretty good tug to remove it. The large outer trim ring can be removed with a large flat screw driver or something similar. You push it between the wheel and the ring and pry down rather than trying to push it out. I find that it is easier to work my way around the wheel rather than trying to get it off in one pull. You need to be careful putting them back on. Make sure the clips slip into the wheel rather than bending back. They are a bit of a PITA, but once you figure them out they are not to bad. Hope this helps.

Slow Six , Jun 9, 2005
  4. Cattletrkr

They're all plastic on the newer trucks. You don't have to remove the inner cover first. Use a large flat screwdriver like Slow Six suggested and slowly work your way around the big cover. The center cap will pop off all by itself from prying on the outer cover. Might be a little harder on the plastic doing it this way but it works. If you want to remove the inner cover first, use the pry end of one of the factory jack handles, that's what it's for. Before the Ricksons I used to be as fast and hard as I could be, hoping I'd "accidentally" break one. Then I wouldn't have to mess with them anymore. Stupid annoying plastic crap. I took a jigsaw to a few of the holes to make checking tire pressure easier. Chrome or stainless or whatever plating looks bad after doing that, it peels. Oh well, now they just sit in the shed collecting dust.

Cattletrkr , Jun 9, 2005
  5. mfrost

Don't slip with those screwdrivers. That chrome on plastic peels easy. :{

mfrost , Jun 9, 2005
  6. JRMora

When my dealer rotated the tires last time they chipped a pice about 3/4" long off the outer skin. They agreed to replace it - the skin was on backorder for over 6 weeks!

Be careful now...

Juan

JRMora , Jun 9, 2005
  7. KCJackson

Go get the lug wrench from under the seat. The end has a small lip designed for removing the wheel skins and center cap.

KCJackson , Jun 9, 2005
  8. mfrost

I used the lug wrench and that is what I peeled mine with. I learned to keep constant pressure pushing down on the lug wrench while you twist it a little as you work your way around the wheel skin. Works for me and no more peeled chrome. It is not a quick process, at least for me.

mfrost , Jun 10, 2005
  9. MBergman

The center caps come off real easy if you just grab them with both hands and twist.

MBergman , Jun 18, 2005