Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inlinesix3million

Am pretty sure horn switch is bad. Can I somehow disconnect horn switch to eliminate my ignition-off discharge? If so-where and how? I first tried pulling horn fuse,but batts would still drain. Have

been pulling IOD fuse lately as a work around. Eventually I will install air horn and would like to avoid replacing air bag assembly. Thanx in advance. This is a fantastic site with it's collective wealth

of knowledge! Robert

inlinesix3million , Jun 28, 2013
  2. Matt42 TDR MEMBER

I'm guessing that it's the horn switch in the steering pad overlay. It might (emphasis on might) be replaceable without replacing the entire airbag assembly.

Matt42 , Jun 30, 2013
  3. inlinesix3million

Yea, it is probably horn switch. I think it is too dangerous to take overlay apart to get to it. Will disconnecting horn switch solve the drain? Is the little connector under air bag module for the horn?
    I will probably go with an overhead lanyard to activate an air horn- if I can get away with not having to replace expensive air bag module.

inlinesix3million , Jul 1, 2013
  4. 04blackcherry TDR MEMBER

Yep, you need to disconnect the horn pad. Remove the airbag assy after following all manufacturer precautions, like disconnecting the batteries, and pull the blade connector to the horn pad. I believe there will be two 10MM bolts to remove to get the assy off. You may have to clock the steering wheel in the right place to do it. The single finger salute does not replace a good horn. I find there are times when it is needed for safety. Like times when someone needs to know you already occupy the space they are moving to. It doesn't remove the horn from the system. It will still work for the security system and door lock/unlock verification.

04blackcherry , Jul 1, 2013
  5. inlinesix3million

Thx for the good info, 04blackcherry! When I get back to the house in late july- I will (after having batteries disconnected for at least 30 min- and leaving steering wheel clocked) disconnect
    blade connector & rig a temporary button to the dash 4 now. I don't have on board air yet for upcoming pacbrake /air horn install. I just finished installing a killer stereo system & still have to
    put carpet, headliner, seats- hell, everything but the freakin dash- back in. It is a Laramie with dark slate grey interior. I'm changing carpet & trim color to landau black with SEM products.
    Am recovering headliner with mercury/silver suede. All interior bulbs switched to blue LED's. (will also have blue odometer & overhead lie o meter) I only get to work on her a week @ a time
    every couple months. This site's members have proven to be an invaluable tool for research etc. Makes working on my truck tons of fun instead of a pain in the brain.

inlinesix3million , Jul 2, 2013
  6. 04blackcherry TDR MEMBER

Take the dash out too while you're at it. Recon the entire HVAC box. At least check to make sure it operates and no doors or motor/door connections are broken. A common problem with these trucks.

04blackcherry , Jul 3, 2013