1. goodguys75

I thought it would be a nice set up to get a 45/70 henry lever action gun, and mount a nice scope to it for hunting... . I do know about guns, but hunting with them is a little differnet... Do you guys think this would be nice set up of deer or elk or antelope??? Just has been in the back of my mind for quite a while and thought it would be a cool way to go... . maybe throw on a nightforce scope on it just for fun... . worth more than the rifle by far... ... . I would like to be able to shoot at least 500/600 yrds... . thought i would put it up here and see what is thought about it... . or maybe, I should do something different..... the key, is lever gun and a scope, I know about bolt rifles and what they can do... . thanks for any input

goodguys75 , Sep 30, 2012
  2. GHarman

goodguys75,

First off I have to separate the rifle and the cartridge.

IMHO, you would be far better off with the Marlin 1895.

I believe the Marlin is far better able to digest serious hunting loads that are available.

The tube loading procedure used by Henry is not conducive to adding a round in a dangerous situation.

In a leveraction rifle application the Hornady 325GR. FTX bullet is the most ballistically efficient bullet you could use.

Not a recipe for a flat shooting hunting cartridge.

The . 45/70 cartridge is an old favorite. It can shoot extremely long range!!! However, it has a trajectory like a rainbow!

With loads for a leveraction rifle, your ballistic advantage would be NIL! Flat nosed bullets or the aforementioned Hornady FTX will still limit your extended range on game.

I do like the idea of a scope on a rifle, but there are better matched combinations. With one exception. That is the Nightforce compact 1-4X24.

But there is not a reticle available that is practical for the . 45/70. http://nightforceoptics.com/1-4x24-nxs-riflescope/

IMHO, again, way to much optic for a shoulder fired howitzer:-laf!

Leupold has their VX-R and HOG series does have more practical reticle selections for your application.

I've spent alot of trigger time with a . 45/70 in various configurations. It is a game killer and a fun rifle to shoot. It can be cheap to shoot and capable of killing an elephant! However, the iron that is chambered for this round will determine your level of satisfaction! Choose wisely, my friend!

GregH

GHarman , Sep 30, 2012
  3. KBurgoyne

out of curiosity i looked up the trajectory in my manual. a 300 grain nosler bullet leaving the muzzle at 2100 with a zero of 100 equals a 182. 4in drop at 500 and a 309. 4in drop at 600. im betting the henry is a top eject, which limits youre options for a scope since a bad match can cause ejected shells to bounce back into the chamber. the marlin really is the only lever that has a chance to get to that range, and has the benifit of side eject.

ive loaded the flex tip bullets and used the factory ones. they have a ballistic advantage because theyre pointy, but they have a COL of 2. 590 which makes them cycle poorly, and they tend to hung up when chambering. if you do load youre own, stuff cut the cases to 2. 030 and seat the bullet to 2. 560-. 570 it may help. im going to try that next time i load them up.

in any case with this round you will need to consider scooting up to a more moderate range. you may also consider a 308 marlin express or the 338 marlin express both for lever guns but designed for reaching out further. the 338 has a 131. 5in drop at 600yd with 100yd zero and 2400 fps muzzle velocity.

KBurgoyne , Oct 1, 2012
  4. goodguys75

great info, I figured it would not be the greatest for long shots, but it was an idea... I will have to do a little more research on the marlin

goodguys75 , Oct 1, 2012
  5. GHarman

goodguys75,

Heres a bunnytrail for ya!

If you do not expect to defend yerself from Bears? Lay down a high volume of cover fire through cement block walls:-laf, or need a quick follow up, double tap with a 540 Grain Garrett Hammerhead load;)! Try a single shot rifle!

There are outstanding 1874, 1875 Sharps, 1879 Remington Hepburne and Rolling blocks, and 1885 Winchester reproductions out there that will shoot like a match rifle and take out an Antelope or deer at extended ranges, if you know how to hold for the trajectory and wind drift. (If you plan on using the high powered loads, dont buy a rifle with an antique style crescent buttplate!!!!Pain is the result)

The advantage of a single shot is; no crimp required, pointy bullets are not an issue. Modern rifles will digest high powered loads, besides the pure ascetics of a single shot rifle!

JMHO, but certainly worth consideration. They come in several price ranges, from the Browning 1885 (Winchester 1885 highwall remake) offering to C Sharps Arms creations!

Heres a link to what I am talking about. Dont get hung up on the top end custom work, if it is not in your financial range.

http://csharpsarms.com/

There is a monthly sales flier that circulates around, on occasion, with prices on the Brownings, far below retail. FYI!

Have Fun!

GregH

GHarman , Oct 1, 2012
  6. BIGNASTY

Listen to the ABOVE WORDS OF WISDOM!!!! I have the Marlin SOLEY FOR PROTECTION although I have thought about going into the deep woods to get some action with the Hammerhead's and Elk combo. I really dont think you would need the 540 gr hammerhead to put one down but it would work FOR SURE. The meat destruction would be ENOURMOUS so shot placement would be critical to say the least. No scope would be of use in the above scenario in fact it would be a hindrance IMO. Range is not a factor in the woods just being able to see the sight picture would be the most important thing. As far as a PROTECTIVE WEAPON when I carry the Marlin with the 540 hammerheads (THIS MAY SOUND BOLD) But I fear nothing in the woods of MT when packing this weapon/ammo combo,on the other hand being able to stand your ground while your CRAPING YOUR DRAWERS against a charging Grizz is another story BUT YOU WOULD HAVE ENOUGH GUN FOR THE TASK. :D

BIG

BIGNASTY , Oct 1, 2012
  7. goodguys75

for sure not for use of protection, just wanted a little different for hunting... ..... since everyone uses 7mm, or similar loads, i wanted to bring something a litttle more traditional in hunting, than a modern rifle... now what what i have my eye out is for the sako TRG 42 now that is a rifle that deserves night force optics..... every shot show here in vegas, i just drool over it and hold it... . it is so sexy.....

goodguys75 , Oct 1, 2012
  8. goodguys75

that is a neat idea..... would make hunting a little more challenging..... at least for me... . my targets usually don't move ... .

goodguys75 , Oct 1, 2012
  9. BIGNASTY

I try not to shoot at moving targets (I know what you mean) The 45/70 is a great load it just has to be used in its own little nit ch of the hunting world. BUT IT DOES HAVE POWER TO SPARE its hell on the shoulder :-laf

BIGNASTY , Oct 1, 2012
  10. GHarman

goodguys75,
    I have a Browning 1885 BPCR! It is a very nice rifle. A little heavy for packing or carrying very far for an old man. However, it shoots really well! There are period correct externally adjustable scopes available. They can be used on a Sharps or an 1885 single shot. Just remember, the lighter weight rifle, the faster the recoil will hit you! Its a impact/time curve issue. Felt recoil will be less with the heavier rifle.
    'Course, if you want to do the "open sights" the carbine sights as well as the buckhorns on some models are really period correct. You just need good eyes to use them!
    GregH

GHarman , Oct 1, 2012
  11. GHarman

Heres the Monthly Flier I told you about!! Just located it! See page 76 (WINCHESTER!)

There are no flies on a . 38/55 either! A Ruger #1 African in . 405 Winchester will kill 'em, too!

GregH

http://site.cdnninvestments.com/CDNN2012-4/index.html

See last page of the catalog for ordering!

You will need an FFL to receive and do the proper paperwork!

GregH

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2018
    GHarman , Oct 1, 2012
  12. KBurgoyne

sako 42, now thats a sexy boomstick. id love to have one, but the rifle runs close to 4k and properly scoped the package would be about 6. savage has a 338 lapua that goes for about 1400, and by all accounts from reviews it can shoot half MOA with ammo from the shelf.

KBurgoyne , Oct 1, 2012
  13. goodguys75

6,0000 is about what i put it at... . not worth the rifle if you go cheap on the eye piece... . but it is amazing how some people do skimp on scopes to save a few... dont make sense... just wait a little longer and have it all... .

goodguys75 , Oct 1, 2012
  14. jhenderson

Whenever I think of a 45-70 or 45-90 it's always a Shiloh Sharps.

jhenderson , Oct 2, 2012
  15. goodguys75

that is a hobbie in itself, doing black powder... would love to try it, but i don't have the time to do it now..... im sure it is fun

goodguys75 , Oct 2, 2012
  16. Rattler

I have a 45-70 TC Contender with the 14 inch barrel and muzzel brake. It is still a real handfull to shoot. None of my freinds has wanted to shoot it more than once.

Rattler , Oct 2, 2012
  17. GHarman

With a modern Sharps, or Winchester single shot. You are not limited to Black Powder. However, it is not as complicated as you might think!

The main issue is a properly compacted powder charge. Using gravity(a drop tube) or a compressor plug in a loading die. (I used a compressor plug for my BP loads). The base of the bullet must sit directly on the powder charge or on card wads that are between the powder and bullet base. NO AIRSPACE, is key. The Bullet must fit the throat of the barrel, even if it is . 001" or . 002" larger than the groove diameter. Then you experiment with seating depth and charge weights. A HOT primer helps with ignition. BPCR's are a literal "KICK IN TH AXX"!! The next issue is cleaning. Both the rifle AND the Brass! Copious amounts of hot soapy water, a baby bottle brush for the brass. Rinse in hot clear water, dry and OIL the rifle while it is still warm! Brass can be baked out in an oven or air dried. As the German Chef says;"Veddy Zimple, Veddy Easy"!:D

GregH

GHarman , Oct 2, 2012
  18. KBurgoyne

how bout this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnU3zPJ-RlY

in 9. 3-62 or 375 ruger. both are beltless. the 9. 3 is just under the 375 h and h in power, and the 375 ruger is just over, but fits in a standard length action.

KBurgoyne , Oct 2, 2012
  19. BIGNASTY

Long time ago I was into Handgun Metallic Silhouette shooting I had a XP 100 in some kind of off the wall caliber. Some guy at the club had made up a 458 win mag on a handgun base. I wasn't there when he touched it off but seen him at the next meet, I asked about it and asked how many rounds did you fire in it ONCE!!!!!!!!!

BIGNASTY , Oct 2, 2012
  20. BIGNASTY

Long time ago I was into Handgun Metallic Silhouette shooting I had a XP 100 in some kind of off the wall caliber. Some guy at the club had made up a 458 win mag on a handgun base. I wasn't there when he touched it off but seen him at the next meet, I asked about it and asked how many rounds did you fire in it ONCE!!!!!!!!!

BIGNASTY , Oct 2, 2012