Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C. Harlan

When my motor is at normal operating temp, and is idling, the oil pressure gauge will drop to zero, chime, then come back up to normal. I check the oil level faithfully, and know there is plenty of oil in the sump. Is this the sending unit going out? I do have 212,600 mi on the clock as of this morning, so I expect little things like this to go wrong. I hope it is not something more than just the sending unit. What do y'all think?

-Chris-

C. Harlan , Jul 28, 2004
  2. 1dslram

The sending unit is about $40. 00 and the socket for it is $8. 00 more, You can get the sender at any truck dealer that sells Cummins parts #392320 Pressure sensor oil. I just replaced mine and this is the current # for that part.

Bruce

1dslram , Jul 28, 2004
  3. C. Harlan

Wow. this long and only one reply?? Come on guys... Thanks for the help 1dslram. . Does this sound like a faulty sending unit? I would like to know before I go out and buy one. .

-Chris-

C. Harlan , Jul 30, 2004
  4. SGBARRACUDA

My 95 started to drop and go up when I ran a hwy speeds for a length of time. I replaced the sender and all is good in cummins land.

SGBARRACUDA , Jul 30, 2004
  5. JohnE

Yes, does read to be a sending unit.

I got mine at local Dodge dealer for around $25

Get a sending unit socket. They are worth every penny.

Don't wait too long. Mine puked a lot of oil when it failed

JohnE , Jul 30, 2004
  6. doldenburg

mine does it also. hooked manual gage to it and reads ok

doldenburg , Jul 31, 2004
  7. Willys

Just to update this a little, my cummins parts guy had a hard time locating the part... the correct number for my 96 Ram is a 3923200(missing a zero on the earlier post) Hope this helps someone in the future...

Willys , Mar 7, 2005
  8. C. Harlan

Thanks for the correction! I am still waiting on some spare cash to get the new one. . BTW, where do you get the socket from??

-Chris-

C. Harlan , Mar 7, 2005
  9. dodge cummins

yes they are known to fail and do what you are describing . it happened to me and alot of other people on this site. if you do a search on this site you will see the many pages on that exact topic.

dodge cummins , Mar 7, 2005
  10. Willys

I picked the sensor up today, but haven't gotten a socket. I was hoping to be able to get a wrench or pliers in there, but that's pretty much impossible. I've heard NAPA has them- now that I have a new one in my hands I can see what fits. I'll post a P/N if I find one.

Need to rant a little bit though, after searching the TDR to find the right p/n, I went to the cummins dealer. Getting a listing that matches the part is like pulling teeth. I had 3 items that we would not have been able find had we not had numbers already. We played it safe to start with, looking for the parts based on the engine serial number, but that didnt get us very far. Does anyone else have this problem? Is this a computer database thing, or is my parts guy just not very resourceful? Its frustrating- happens every time I need something. (rant off)

Willys , Mar 7, 2005
  11. dodge cummins

i would spend the extra 8 bucks for the socket. that particular socket fits most dodge and chevy applications,its good tool to have its 3/8 drive. for me i needed the 8 inch extension for my rachet to get in there. i bought my oil pressure sending unit from auto zone and it has been working great.

dodge cummins , Mar 8, 2005
  12. Willys

Did you get the socket from autozone as well?

Willys , Mar 8, 2005
  13. Aun-Kee

It sounds like the parts guy at the dealer was having a bad day (perhaps all the time). If you have the cummins engine serial number and you go to a cummins dealer, it is all on their computer. Every engine they have made is in the computer with all the parts in that motor listed. There should be no mistakes ever!! I have had non-cummins people make mistakes all the time. Now I only go to Cummins. Having such parts confusion is probably due to the fact that I have a 98 cummins (12V), not a 98 1/2 (24V).

My oil sending unit was acting strange, similar to yours and NAPA gave me the wrong part. Autozone did the same. Cummins got it right first try.

Aun-Kee , Mar 8, 2005