1. Odp

Does anyone else have an 05 that has had issues getting the correct parts ? I ordered valve cover gaskets and wiring from a vendors web site and it clearly said it fits the 05. Gets here and its wrong. Its not the style i have. I have the older style 04 and 03 wiring that has the deutsch plugs not the whole gasket loom i got. Ive had this happen on several occasions when ordering parts online from vendors that group them by years. I need to buy a overhaul kit and for convince and price sake id love to just order it online and have it show up on my porch with out hassle. But after the last few go arounds im kinda gun shy to buy based off year alone. Anyone else have this issue or just me ?

Wayne M. likes this.
  2. seafish

The simple solution is for you to order your parts from Genos Garage.

In short, the people behind Genos know these trucks because they have been driving these trucks for almost 30 years spanning the entire line of different generations of Cummins powered Dodge/Ram trucks

Knowledgable sales staff coupled with fair prices, quick shipping, top shelf customer service and even a military discount cannot really be beaten by other vendors, tough I am sure some come close in various regards.

Oh yeah, the people who run Genos Garage also happen to be the same people who run this awesome site!!!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    seafish , Dec 25, 2020
    promisedland likes this.
  3. Odp

I appreciate that. I might just do that. But other than just buying parts. Was this a switch year or something. Something obviously transitioned at dodge or Cummins that promoted the category break thats on every site.

4. seafish

Yes there were changes between the SO and HO motor which I believe started in 2004.5 .

seafish , Dec 25, 2020
  5. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

The change occurred for the 06 model year, but they were released in 05. This is where the confusion comes from, even the 05 FSM talks about early vs late 05, but I’ve never seen a true MY05 with the late 2 plug wire harness and valve cover.

AH64ID , Dec 25, 2020
    gsbrockman and seafish like this.
  6. Odp

So for my own reference does the truck mfg date/vin or the engine serial number or both that reflect late verse early models ? My truck says its prodution date is 11-04 so that would make it early 05 correct. Engine says mfg date 11-18-04 325hp 529ad

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  7. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

The engine serial number is probably the best way.

2 plugs and the big headlights is a 2006, 3 plugs and the small headlights is a 2005. The dash is also different 05 to 06.

AH64ID , Dec 25, 2020
  8. Odp

My truck is an 05. But the motor is what gets me confused. Its the 325 hp so that would make it the
    " 2004.5 " and later since the early version was 300 hp from what i read is that right ? But it seems like just with valve cover gasket if i order the 2004.5 or newer stuff its not right. Is there some weird 2004.5 to 2005.5 motor conspiracy. Cummins just had to use up all the left over stock first and you just got what ever you got around that time or something. No one else uses the ESN to look up parts other than cummins so that dont do much good at autozone or online.

9. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

04.5-07 5.9 motors are all 325 hp, 04.5 has 600 lb/ft and 05-07 has 610 lb/ft.

04.5-05 motors have the “early” wire harness and 06-07 have the “late” harness.

Nothing weird or a conspiracy about it. There isn’t one gasket or wire harness that fits all 325hp models.

03-04 motors have a different harness too.

AH64ID , Dec 25, 2020
    promisedland likes this.
  10. Odp

Thanks AH. Thats what i wanting to know. Ill just have to more careful when im only given two options for motor choices when buying stuff.

11. GCroyle

Odp,

You didn't give specifics as to who you ordered from and not asking for it. But this is insight from a guy that spent his career in the automotive aftermarket and had a lot of exposure to cataloging and customer specific catalog data and attributes.

You'd think if you're making/sourcing the part and selling it you the Vendor would have YOUR data and info and the retailer would say thanks and all's well.

IT AIN'T THAT WAY!

Within the automotive aftermarket world had a few I'm right and your not players. The "organizations" that prompted std data had one evolving format (it sorta kept getting bigger and bigger with columns and columns of data for each part and then oh yeah let's add a pic, then two, three and now 360 deg spin images. Then the catalog software companies had some stubborn players humph WE do it this way not your way and finally the customer. Remember the customer is always right, right?

Point is it's a long way from a part to a happy customer. A few glitches and folks that aren't up to adopted standards but trying to play can be something to think about.

Just a worthless FWIW while I'm cooking a 5.3lb boneless rib roast outside in a 10qt Dutch oven with charcoal.

Yeah it's on track for an on time carving.

Gary

GCroyle , Dec 25, 2020
    brucejohnson and AH64ID like this.
  12. cerberusiam Staff Member

11-04 mfg date is an early 05. An accurate parts book will not give you the wrong parts, problem is most non-Cummins parts books have errors or the parts picker cannot read the computer correctly. Unfortunately, you need to know what you are buying or you might get the wrong part is they don't use the ESN.

If you have an early 05 you likely have a plastic tank CAC also. Keep an eye on boost, with the age of the truck those CAC's will leak and you won't even know you are losing 25% or more of boost.

cerberusiam , Dec 28, 2020
  13. GCroyle

I was in the right spot and recovered the removed CAC off of an 07 metal tank unit and my 05 plastic tank CAC has been on standby in storage all sealed up.

GCroyle , Dec 28, 2020
  14. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

My plastic tank ends let go on a road trip, luckily I was towing and did a couple thousand more miles. It was replaced under the 5/100 warranty.

AH64ID , Dec 28, 2020
  15. mwilson TDR MEMBER

No they don't....BUT you could get a free Quickserve subscription and look up your parts using your ESN...then provide the Cummins part number so that the parts stores could cross reference it...

Might save an extra trip...

mwilson , Dec 28, 2020
  16. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

Just went back and looked my 2005 was built in 10/04.

AH64ID , Dec 28, 2020
  17. p-Bar

Think you have problems . I have an 04.5 . Early diesel smog check CARB said I didn't need a catalytic. I usually say 05 at the parts counter

p-Bar , Dec 31, 2020
    AH64ID likes this.