Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Wenrich TDR MEMBER

While servicing my 2004 2500 I noticed a couple rubber boots attached near the ends of the sway bar are falling apart. The grommets are okay but would likely come in a parts kit as well. Not sure what the technical name is but seems like they might be stabilizers for the bar. My question is are there after market parts for these boots? If I can get the correct nomenclature I can go to the local Oreileys to see if they have them.

Mike Wenrich , Apr 5, 2023
  2. AEdelheit TDR MEMBER

Those are the sway bar end links, Most cheap auto part store ones will fail quickly, I would spend the extra bit of money on higher quality links if you want them to hold up long term.

AEdelheit , Apr 5, 2023
  3. Mike Wenrich TDR MEMBER

Thank you. Appreciate the quick feedback.

4. Mike Wenrich TDR MEMBER

P.S. The links in the Genos catalog don't look exactly like mine. No boots. But maybe the boots are covering enough of the link that they are the same. Will have to cut the remaining boot off to see them better.

5. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Pictures help greatly with identifying an unknown part correctly.

Ozymandias , Apr 5, 2023
  6. Mike Wenrich TDR MEMBER

Yes they do. But....in the meantime I drove into town to the auto parts store and at first we could not find the exact part, much like the Genos catalog. Nothing with the dust cover like mine. Then one of the more experienced counter men went out and looked at the part. Kinda like taking a picture. Came back in and said we were looking in the wrong area and they found it. Still called a sway link kit. Ordered it and the kit will be in tomorrow. They did have a grommet kit that would have replaced mine but still no dust cover for the horizontal part. Once I get the kit I will determine if it is the correct part. I will update this post and provide a part number.

7. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

e77008c0-b98b-4c49-bd19-b262bf294e94.edf002bc3cadb08a4e47613319e1d330.jpg #ad

Ozymandias , Apr 6, 2023
  8. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Thanks for posting picture @Ozymandias , was going to say that the dust boot only available with complete link.

Topzide , Apr 6, 2023
  9. Mike Wenrich TDR MEMBER

Changed these out yesterday and one ball joint was pretty loose. The shaft of the joint is a tapered fit. To remove it I needed to remove the front tires and use a brass punch and BFH. I used two floor jacks. One to lift the truck to remove the wheel and then one under the frame rail to move the sway bar up and down. The part was too long to come out only lifting the axle. Pretty easy to do that way. The part I used is made by Precision Chassis, Part number PRE K80467. Comes with a zerk as well unlike the original equipment. Made in China but seems to be a quality part. Blue grommets and grease/dust cover.

Mike Wenrich , Apr 10, 2023