Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan Reagan TDR MEMBER

If you are thinking about changing your serpentine belt in the near future, I suggest you find a source and order one. I planned on changing mine today but the closest one to me is 75 miles away. I didn’t go to Geno’s Garage right away because I thought about it yesterday while doing some other maintenance. When I started checking online Advanced Auto showed none in stock or warehouse. Same with the other part stores, I ordered from Geno’s and even with shipping, it’s cheaper than the locals. Glad I’m not stuck on the side of the road with this problem.

Alan Reagan , Dec 12, 2021
  2. NIsaacs

I just checked my local Napa and they have the standard and heavy duty (green) in stock for single alternators or dual alt's.

NIsaacs , Dec 12, 2021
  3. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Our local O’Reilly’s has them.

BigPapa , Dec 12, 2021
  4. Alan Reagan TDR MEMBER

Napa here closes at 1:00 PM on Saturdays around here. They are not corporate stores and are all about 30 miles apart. O Reilly’ s had to be ordered here for the HD belts. Advanced couldn’t tell me when they could get one because none are at any stores in the area and the warehouse is backordered. So I guess if you are in Georgia, this post applies. Every
    parts store here has to order. Even Amazon showed them as backordered. I’ll put it this way….I ordered one that will arrive this week and put the current one in the tool box for an emergency.

5. gsbrockman

Miles on your current belt?

gsbrockman , Dec 12, 2021
  6. Alan Reagan TDR MEMBER

105K. I always start checking them close at 50k as recommended. No cracks in the belt that I’ve found. Just general maintenance. Easier in my shop than it is on the backroads down here.

7. gsbrockman

If it helps any.... I ran mine 318k miles and it was still doing good. I subsequently ended up replacing it with another MoPar serpentine belt.

gsbrockman , Dec 12, 2021
  8. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I figure next spring I will be getting close to 100k and will get my special pricing on a MOPAR belt.

Cummins12V98 , Dec 12, 2021
  9. JR

Nowhere near the mileage but at 125k mine is in perfect shape as well. Engine hrs are likely a little bit closer with lower avg mph.
    That being said I do have a spare that goes along with me on any and all road trips.

10. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

"I do have a spare that goes along with me on any and all road trips"

I used to do the same and forgot to do so when buying this truck. Maybe I should get one sooner.

Cummins12V98 , Dec 12, 2021
    nukegm likes this.
  11. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

In my almost 600K, I’ve put three belts on. The last one I replaced because it had a lot of oil on it from my gear cover leak. Never had one fail. I do carry the last one I replaced, not the oily one, as a spare.

BigPapa , Dec 12, 2021
    nukegm likes this.
  12. JR

I lost the OE belt on our 15 Exploder @ 75k ish miles 40 miles from home. I had just given it a good visual at a recent service from top and bottom. It was the first belt failure for me and why I started carrying a spare when out of town again.

The good thing about the Explorer belt was how minimally critical it is. The only components it drives is the altenator and A/C compressor. You could literally run it until the battery cuts out.

nukegm likes this.
  13. nukegm

what is the recommended miles or years to replace the belt? just curious. everything is hard to find these days. and we all know who to thank for that. cheers all! :)

nukegm , Dec 12, 2021
    JR likes this.
  14. seafish

Exact same thing on my 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD !!!

I was driving long highway miles to visit mom and only realized that the serp belt had broken because the steering had maybe gotten a little firmer. Hard to tell at highway speeds... LOL !!!

Figured the belt had broke but didn't know for sure until I stopped to refill diesel about 25 miles down the road at my favorite truck stop. Verified broken serp belt, so called AAA for a tow but they told me I was out of range for a free tow to my destination and wanted to charge me an exorbitant $$/mile for any of the extra miles.

Told them I would call back, started up and drove the extra 30 miles down the freeway until the battery died (had about 6 minute warning cuz the ALT light came on first so I stayed in the right lane)

Took the next exit, engine died and literally coasted from the offramp into a parking lot where I called AAA again for a free tow !!! ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    seafish , Dec 12, 2021
    gsbrockman and JR like this.