Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B.G. Smith

Started truck a few minutes ago and it started and ran a few seconds and died, second try, same results. Remembering the three strikes, you're out I stopped and went back in the house and got the original factory key and it started and runs fine. I was using an aftermarket key that I have used for several years when it quit. Do the chipped keys bg

B.G. Smith , Mar 22, 2021
  2. tjm

Batteries might die

3. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

No battery's involved here.

Yes they can turn bad, but very rare.
    Dropping a key, or to much heat can add to it.

Ozymandias , Mar 22, 2021
    MichaelOverfield and B.G. Smith like this.
  4. B.G. Smith

Right this is just a chipped key.

B.G. Smith , Mar 22, 2021
  5. tjm

Hmmm must be RFID then?

MichaelOverfield likes this.
  6. GrantP TDR MEMBER

GrantP , Mar 22, 2021
    MichaelOverfield and Tuesdak like this.
  7. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Yes they work for around twenty years with this technology now.

Ozymandias , Mar 23, 2021
  8. B.G. Smith

I have been sitting around last few days with heating pad on my back..... Wonder if there could be EMF from that causing problem with key?

B.G. Smith , Mar 23, 2021
  9. tjm

RFID chips power-up in the presence of a specific carrier frequency. Usually they're serial eeproms that contain data - keys, IDs, calibration data, bar codes that sort of thing.
    serial eeproms typically have retention characteristics that exceed 20 years.

10. B.G. Smith

Thanks for al the responses, I discontinued the use of this key. It is possible that it is not a chipped key. If I find that to be true I will respond. bg

B.G. Smith , Mar 25, 2021
  11. SSage

My original 2003 key still works, but I finally lost my second one and had to get a new spare made. $79.00 for a stupid key, I hate to know what the new truck keys cost. The Key FOB was $139.00 at Ace Hardware, the $79 was for a programed key and a thin spare wallet door key. I decided to buy an eBay fob special, two for $17.99 shipped. Hopefully they will work.

SSage , Apr 10, 2021
  12. Mikey-KE7LBB

I had a factory "Sentry" key chip fail last week... I never even bothered to get it cut when I bought it lol!!!

I just programmed it with both factory fob keys (owners manual), dug out the chip, and simply glued it into the sensor ring...

Started just fine and ran for 3 seconds. Security light was flashing. I tried again and same thing happened... I figured the glue had cut loose after all this time, but it wasn't the case!!!

One start from one of the hideous factory key fob thingy was all I needed to get it running from the regular dummy key that's only supposed to open the door!!!

Mikey-KE7LBB , Apr 11, 2021
  13. sag2 TDR MEMBER

I just purchased a fob ($79) for the wife's 200 from keylessentryremote.com. I have purchased several keys and fobs over the years from them and all have worked perfectly. I can't say the same for two chip keys for my buddies Commander from Amazon. But for $9 for two keys I wasn't expecting much. They did refund my money no questions asked.

sag2 , Apr 12, 2021
    B.G. Smith likes this.
  14. SSage

My old 2003 Ram uses the simple three button independent fobs, so the eBay $4.99 specials work fine. My local lumber yard is also an Ace Hardware and they cut the chipped sentry key for $79.99 including a regular thin metal "wallet" spare door key. The later key fob combo units started around $139.00. At least its cheaper than the dealer! So far the woman of the house only lost one key set for the 2003, so far. I don't think I've ever lost any keys, but I probably will now that I mentioned it... :rolleyes:

SSage , Apr 24, 2021
  15. mfurrh55

I bought 2 aftermarket key fobs off Amazon for 19.99, walmart cut them for 6.00, been couple years and still work on my 07

mfurrh55 , Apr 24, 2021
  16. Deathrowdave

My 05 will start and run with a Hardware store key No CHIP , just a standard old style key

Deathrowdave , May 3, 2021
  17. jeff77indy

I have a chipped key that the dealer made for me that won't unlock the door without setting the alarm off but will start and run the truck fine.

jeff77indy , May 11, 2021
  18. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

That's a problem within the doors wiring as there is a micro switch built into the lock mechanism that disables the alarm opened with the key.

Ozymandias , May 11, 2021
  19. Regcabguy

My E-Bays are 16 yrs old. I keep one hidden under the truck and the other at home. I use the remote now. I originally wanted an ST to rid the truck of one more level of complexity but you couldn't get power seats in '06 without an SLT.

Regcabguy , Feb 10, 2022
  20. GCroyle

Looks like I'm same as Deathrowdave.

Just for info I just took my 2005 OE key (has 3 function separate not a key fob) to our local old school lock shop and asked if they could check it for ANY chip stuff. They put it on a machine (I couldn't see it) and he said, no chip.

Looks like these posts should all include the year of the truck not just 3rd gen cause the 2007 we had at work had a key with built on remote and we made a spare plain key. That plain key would not run the engine.

GCroyle , Feb 11, 2022