Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ulhpilot

Could someone please explain to me the advantage of a 4X4 that turns the front axle, front diff/carrier, front drive shaft, while in 2 wheel drive? Other than having no hubs, I can't think of many, especially since most owners use their trucks primarily to get from point A to point B on paved roads. I know the Forestry service, etc. probably likes the design, but what about the other 95% ? Correct me if I'm missing something here. IIRC, this is the original JEEP design (no front hubs). Also, has anyone heard about an aftermarket mod that would eliminate all that rotating mass until you really need it?

Thanks and this a great forum!

Mick

Apex, NC

ulhpilot , Aug 25, 2003
  2. DIESELMAN

Well that about covers the advantages:D

DIESELMAN , Aug 25, 2003
  3. Prairie Dog

Don't forget about all the money Dodge saved and I'm certain, passed on to us! Remember that scene from Animal House where Kevin Bacon says "Thank you sir may I have another?" :rolleyes:

Prairie Dog , Aug 25, 2003
  4. BillHicks

I can think of two advantages:

1. If you get stuck in 2wd you are good to go by shifting into 4wd. No getting out for manual hubs or being SOL with pneumatic hubs.

2. No worry about engaging the 4wd occasionally to lube the works.

BillHicks , Aug 25, 2003
  5. DIESELMAN

But if you can't get up to your knees in snow and mud once in a while it ain't worth doin':D :D :D

DIESELMAN , Aug 25, 2003
  6. BillHicks

Dieselman: :)

BillHicks , Aug 26, 2003
  7. randyn

See my group buy manual hubs poll on 3rd gen no engine forum.

randyn , Oct 13, 2003
  8. bighammer

Wow, was that Kevin Bacon? :p

bighammer , Oct 13, 2003
  9. Prairie Dog

I saw Animal house when I was a teenager and didn't understand what that line meant. Now that I'm all grown up (?) and I work for a big conglomerate, I finally know :(

Prairie Dog , Oct 13, 2003
  10. Grayhackle

Before I bought my truck, I asked how do I turn the front hubs in?

De@%#r says for 800 bucks a wheel, we will put locking hubs in. Maybe I should have taken him up on that!

Grayhackle , Oct 13, 2003