1. Harrison40

First time posting. I have a 2006 5.9 that I bought recently and having trouble with start up and low power. The head and head studs were both just replaced. When I go to start the truck it takes about 3 to 4 seconds to fire up and has one big puff of white smoke then it is gone. Truck seems to be idleing fine but when I take off I feel like I don’t have the power i should. Fuel mileage is also terrible (12mpg) This is my sixth dodge and none of them have felt this sluggish. There is no tune on the truck. I bought a brand new set of Bosh injectors and put a FASS fuel pumps thinking my lift pump was going to junk which did help a little. I put 2 brand new batteries and cleaned all ground and connections. Truck will crank up better now but still have the white smoke and loss of power is still a problem. What should my rail pressure be at idle and what should it be a WOT? I’m leaning forward FCA or fuel pressure relief valve! Someone please help before I just start throwing parts at it. Thank you!

Harrison40 , Jun 6, 2021
  2. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Welcome to TDR.

Why was the head replaced? Are you losing any fluids? What climate are you in? Are you using a Fass DDRP pump or their filtered lift pumps?

4 seconds is nominal turn over time according to my 03 FSM. Rail pressure needs to be aprox. 4K to fire off. My 03 idles around 5K on rail pressure. I haven't gotten to WOT yet since installing my gauges so I can't speak to that on rail pressure.

Darkbloodmon , Jun 6, 2021
  3. Harrison40

Thanks for the reply. I am located in south Alabama where it is terribly hot this time of the year so taking 4 to 6 seconds to crank can’t be normal. I have 2 other dodges and both crank up in half a second! The head was replaced due to a blown head gasket. I’m guessing head was damaged when that occurred and that’s why they replaced it. I’m not making or loosing any fluids. I’m running a fass titanium series 100gph pump. My pressure is good from my pump to my cp3 also.

Harrison40 , Jun 6, 2021
  4. cerberusiam Staff Member

Rail pressure on your truck at an idle should be in the 6500-7000 psi range, max RP probably 21k psi, cruise under normal load in the 17k psi range.

It takes 3000 psi of rail pressure and 2 full revolutions to get these CR's to fire correctly. A slow 2 count (1001,1002, engine fires is normal UNLESS you have a manual trans then you may have to go to a slow 4 count. It shouldn't matter but sometimes it does.

A puff of white smoke when it starts means the injectors are bleeding fuel into the cylinders when off, you should not have that problem unless you have a bad install or bad injectors. 12 mg may not be wrong depending on how and where you drive it. Lots of stop and go and\or short trips, that is normal. You need a tuner to counteract that scenario.

Where did you get the injectors, what is the Bosch part # for the injectors, what is stamped on the top of solenoid of the injector?

cerberusiam , Jun 6, 2021
    Darkbloodmon likes this.
  5. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Maybe I have a worn PRV? that's the only thing left on my fuel system from factory, everything else is new. Do Isspro EV2s lag a bit?

Good point on the transmission, I forgot about that. Fueling characteristics are a bit different as well looking back over my hanging idle after new injectors thread.

Darkbloodmon , Jun 6, 2021
  6. mfurrh55

I have a manual transmission and my 07. 5.9 has always started within a second of turning over, who did you buy NEW injectors from?

mfurrh55 , Jun 7, 2021
  7. Darkbloodmon TDR MEMBER

Me? or OP?

Darkbloodmon , Jun 7, 2021
  8. Harrison40

Thanks for the reply’s guys just got off work from all night and being able to reply. I got the injectors from mid south power in Tennessee

Harrison40 , Jun 7, 2021
  9. mfurrh55

OP

mfurrh55 , Jun 7, 2021
  10. cerberusiam Staff Member

Need to see what is printed on the top of the injector solenoid. Who doesn't matter as much as what you got hence the need to see what the injector actually is.

cerberusiam , Jun 8, 2021
  11. Harrison40

Cerberusiam thanks will check whenever I get home and get a chance to look at it. What is that going to tell you?

Harrison40 , Jun 8, 2021
  12. cerberusiam Staff Member

That will tell if they are reman or new injectors, Bosch or some other off the wall place. Even Bosch is unable to supply reman injectors of any decent quality, any one else is a crap shoot you get a viable unit or it is junk. If you have white smoke on start up that is not good news for having a usable injector set.

cerberusiam , Jun 8, 2021
    Darkbloodmon likes this.