1. gpintler TDR MEMBER

This term is in the build sheets and I don't know what it means.

gpintler , May 1, 2021
  2. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

Just a name given to the first 6.7's I believe. From another forum: BlueTec is Daimler AG's marketing name for engines equipped with advanced NOx reducing technology for vehicle emissions control in diesel-powered vehicles. The technology in BlueTec vehicles includes a selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system that uses diesel exhaust fluid, and a system of NOx Adsorbers the automaker calls DeNOx, which uses an oxidizing catalytic converter and diesel particulate filter combined with other NOx reducing systems.

SnoKing , May 1, 2021
    brucejohnson and Wiredawg like this.
  3. Jim W TDR MEMBER

Yes SnoKing is correct, it is a marketing term for Daimler AG vehicles. I have seen this on Mercedes cars around 2008 and 2009 time frame. I am not sure if this is on a diesel vehicle anymore, in fact I do not know if Mercedes is selling diesels any more in the US.

Jim W , May 1, 2021
  4. JMcTaggart

This is the early pollution control system that uses diesel fuel injected on the exhaust stroke to burn the soot out of the Diesel Particulate Filter. A regeneration cycle will happen every 200 miles or so for about 20 miles while on the highway. Later models use DEF instead.

JMcTaggart , May 3, 2021
  5. sag2 TDR MEMBER

Sorry, DEF has nothing at all to do with soot and the DPF. It is strictly for NOx reduction in the SCR catalyst.

sag2 , May 4, 2021
    Jim W and AH64ID like this.
  6. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

As mentioned this is not true.

All Cummins Dodge/Ram trucks since 2007.5 have used diesel on the exhaust stroke for DPF cleaning. They still do, and likely will for a while. Since 2013 the frequency for active regens is greatly reduced. I go about 850 miles, on average, between active regens and they only last 10-15 miles.

DEF reduces the amount of exhaust the EGR has to recirculate into the intake. This also helps reduce the number of active regens for the DPF.

AH64ID , May 4, 2021
    MichaelOverfield, Tuesdak and Jim W like this.
  7. JMcTaggart

Sorry, I should not have commented about something that I did not know about. I just assumed that the DEF took care of the DPF also. Thank you for clarifying that for me, John.

JMcTaggart , May 5, 2021
    MichaelOverfield likes this.
  8. sag2 TDR MEMBER

Not to worry, it's a common misconception out there.

sag2 , May 5, 2021
    MichaelOverfield, Jim W and AH64ID like this.
  9. xcc_rider

"On a 2008 3500 6.7 What does Bluetec Diesel System mean ?"

It means "Ah crap! We should have waited and gone with the DEF system like everyone else!"

xcc_rider , May 11, 2021
    MichaelOverfield and Ozymandias like this.
  10. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I'm not sure about that - but I think back then DEF wasn't legalized by the EPA for that class vehicles.

Ozymandias , May 13, 2021
  11. xcc_rider

It wasn't added until 2010-11(ish).

Basically it was a joke because the big three all got it wrong.

xcc_rider , May 13, 2021
  12. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

It wasn't wrong, in Europe we phased in DEF in 2004 in the first HD trucks. And Mercedes together with Iveco were the first one that developed and used that system.
    From that point of view it would have been possible.

Ozymandias , May 13, 2021
  13. cerberusiam Staff Member

EPA did not approve DEF, they mandated it by requiring emissions levels. MY 2013 introduced the SCR systems to the Rams as they could not meet emission requirements without it.

cerberusiam , May 16, 2021
  14. Jim W TDR MEMBER

Not really! When I was working in the late1990's and the early 2000's Cat was deigning the emission systems to use DEF in their exhaust system. This was to meet the 2010 implementation of Tier IV, BIN5 emissions, if my memory is correct for the implementation dates. Cat had to scrap their entire emission design strategy and go to the same style of exhaust treatment using high EGR and DPF similar to what Cummins was designing for Dodge. The EPA would not approve DEF use for on highway and off highway use until their was an infrastructure in place to support refilling of DEF. At least this was what was reported to the engineering teams designing the emission packages on CAT machines.

Jim W , May 18, 2021
    Ozymandias and MichaelOverfield like this.
  15. xcc_rider

Epa authorized the use of def in 2010-11 for medium(?) duty trucks like ours. It took a couple of years to implement, hence the 2013 roll-out of the scr/def systems.

The Bluetec emissions system was designed for frequent, heavy haulers and wasn't suitable for daily grocery getters.
    Multiple re-flashes and lots of replaced emissions parts later the system is working well but with users adopting regen friendly driving habits.

So I made a joke of a joke of a system...

xcc_rider , May 18, 2021
  16. cerberusiam Staff Member

The final rollout of tier IV emissions standards was 2014 with the final limits being the NOX reductions and that required an SCR system and DEF to make it happen consistently. That was pretty consistent across engine manufacturers.

Tier IV emissions for on road diesels AFAIK did not differentiate between LD, MD, or HD. It was all of them and Cat threw in the towel. The only differentiation I remember was of road and on road but that was enough years ago details can be lost.

As far denying use that was likely a cover for the EPA pointing out the obvious, where is the DEF manufacturing and supply infrastructure? Great idea, just a bit ahead of the key components being readily available.

The SCR systems on the LD's were quite different than LD and HD trucks and not sure they have finally gotten them consistent yet. The MD and HD systems were componentized where LD it was all or nothing when something went bad.

cerberusiam , May 18, 2021
  17. TwinnTibbsDiesel

I deleted my 08 Dually and it was totally worth it. My truck runs way better with better gas mileage and more power and no smoke on tune 1-3 so it runs way better without all that crap on it. I have the badge on the tailgate and thats about it lol

TwinnTibbsDiesel , May 31, 2021