1. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Swift truck on a snowmobile trail in Sangerville, Maine....

The ol' Cascadia did pretty good to get that far.....

Swift.JPG #ad

Swift.JPG #ad

mwilson , Mar 24, 2015
  2. BIGNASTY

Mike

I wonder if this is a case of a " I think I should have made a left not a Right at that last intersection" and had no other choice but to continue. Sometimes a delivery can wait BTJMO

BIGNASTY , Mar 24, 2015
  3. deeselfitter

On a different note Mike.....do you remember Staceys Jamboree......they used to broadcast live shows from Bangor to Newfoundland in the 80's.

deeselfitter , Mar 24, 2015
  4. Tractorat

Could be, or maybe it was like the case several years ago. A family in ca or Oregon (I forget) let the gps take them up a dirt road in the mountains. It would have been a perfectly good choice in the summer. But they made the trip in the winter. Got stuck in the snow. I dont remember if someone walked out but the rest died, or if the ones that stayed in the car lived and the walker died, or what. I think I remember it was a guy who did something for CNet.

Several years ago a bus was driving thru the seattle area (I think it was seattle) just following the gps. He was watching the gps and didnt notice that the overpass he went under was too low for the bus. Took off the top of the bus. Lucky for him he was going pretty slow at the time.

Tractorat , Mar 24, 2015
  5. TFucili

GPS-Check
    Chains-Check
    Tandem Lock-Check
    Give 'er heck Charlie!

TFucili , Mar 24, 2015
  6. mwilson TDR MEMBER

I can't imagine that something deep within that driver's DNA was not screaming "Don't try it Dumbass"...........

It looks like a fairly long winch cable is going to be required, and I hope that the trailer is empty. Otherwise, wait until spring.....looks like there is still room for the snowmobiles to get around it, I don't know about the groomer though...Cut a few trees....from the looks of the trail it is a good sized groomer tending it.

mwilson , Mar 24, 2015
  7. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Probably going to need a clutch as well when they do get it out, that ol' boy abused that truck something fierce. It must have been jumping right up and down...

mwilson , Mar 24, 2015
  8. BIGNASTY

I asked a fellow driver " What the Hell Were You Thinking About " when I pulled up to see if maybe I could get HER!! out of a Very Minor Situation is how she put it on the Company Radio.

She had gone around 2 K-rails that had 4x8 signs posted on them

" Do Not Enter Deep Sand "

She had done pretty well!! it took 2, 4 axle tow trucks to get her out of a sand pit that she was stuck in WITH A LOADED GAS TRUCK !!! She had buried the truck to the Axle caps on the Drivers before she said that it wouldn't go any further, I asked " Well You Should Have Locked the Rear-ends together " with a look of surprise on Her face she said I never thought of that!!

BIGNASTY , Mar 24, 2015
  9. Tractorat

Women drivers, eh?:-laf:eek:;):p

Tractorat , Mar 24, 2015
  10. SnoKing TDR MEMBER

The father tried to walk out and get help. He died close back to the car. The others survived I believe. Here it is!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/us/07oregon.html?_r=0

Snoking

SnoKing , Mar 24, 2015
  11. BIGNASTY

The OP said it all in the first word

SWIFT :-laf

BIGNASTY , Mar 24, 2015
  12. Tractorat

gps is a really really good tool. But just like any good tool, you really need to have something going on up in the brain housing group. Otherwise, well this happens.

Tractorat , Mar 24, 2015
  13. MMeier

We all know what that stands for now, don't we boys and girls.... S ure W ish I F inished T raining !!!!! :-laf:p:D:eek:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    MMeier , Mar 24, 2015
  14. Deleted member 995608

I live in a destination community just outside the Sequoia National Park. I hate the 'on-season'. Every ding-a-ling and his brother his traversing our mountain road to the top via GPS. If I have to drive to town, I try to go early between 0500 and head back before 1200 because it scares me to be on the road with jack-wagon's watching their GPS versus the road in front of him. But then again, that another reason why I'm a AEMT/FF,....traffic accidents. We had a pretty cool 'pin in' two days ago because the ding bat was sight seeing and driving at the same time. He survived but was really close to never needing to cut his hair ever again.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
    Deleted member 995608 , Mar 25, 2015
  15. RVTRKN

The very short time I drove for swift, I learned very quickly that some of the drivers are short of a few brain circuits. I got off the truck I was training with because the driver picked up a load in Phoenix without any down time from a priority run from Indianapolis to Phoenix. I was not happy about it, but he was in control (the Boss), when I woke up, we were in Ontario California on the way to Northern California. I asked him why didn't he take the I210 avoiding the rush hour traffic instead of driving through the worst morning commuter traffic in the country, he told me he wanted to listen to his favorite radio station morning show. Seems innocent enough, but two problems I had with it, 1) I didn't get a shower or a real meal when I could have, the commitment was over. 2) I had to endure the horrible morning commute that took over 4hrs to get through. I told him that when we arrive at the destination I was off the truck and he could find another idiot to train.

RVTRKN , Mar 25, 2015
  16. mwilson TDR MEMBER

S wing W ide, I t's a F rigin' T railer....................

mwilson , Mar 25, 2015
  17. rscurtis

This is a regular scenario on Long Island, where several time a month a truck ends up on the Northern State Parkway and encounters one of Robert Moses' stone bridges with its 10' clearance.

rscurtis , Mar 25, 2015
  18. BIGNASTY

Some of the worse Truck drivers are working for US. Express & England. I'm really glad that I'm no longer a working driver and being associated with what the industry is turning loose behind the wheel.

IT's EMBARRASSING :eek:

BIGNASTY , Mar 25, 2015
  19. CBari

You all forget that all of these idiots are driving regular vehicles on the road too. They are also procreating with each other and producing another generation of even dumber idiots that will be driving. I think we need to take all the warning labels off of stuff so that survival of the fittest will rule again.

CBari , Mar 25, 2015
  20. Jim W TDR MEMBER

How about this one where the GPS would take you on this road IDOT ( IL dept. of Transportation) just installed a new flyover bridge for trains.

A half-mile stretch of Irving Park Road was closed Monday evening and will remain that way for four months after several truck drivers hit a new railroad bridge. The Illinois Department of Transportation said truckers ignored a posted detour and struck the new flyover bridge, which just opened Sunday with a clearance of 12 feet, 6 inches.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/traffic/t...d-closure-bridge-297376171.html#ixzz3VPXzpY7J
    Follow us: @nbcchicago on Twitter | nbcchicago on Facebook

Jim W.

Jim W , Mar 25, 2015