Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfbeetle

I have had an ongoing struggle trying to smog my 2016 truck… right before this year’s registration expired and California smog check was due in June, the turbo actuator started tripping codes. I finally got a City Diesel actuator installed three weeks ago and now my code reader says the following are still not ready for smog check:
    NMHC catalyst
    NOx after treatment
    Exhaust gas sensor
    PM filter
    What’s the best way to get these to be ready for a smog check? Should I hook up my fifth wheel and go climb a hill? Is there a specific procedure for these items? Thank you

surfbeetle , Oct 3, 2022
  2. Topzide TDR MEMBER

You'll need a drive cycle to clear codes. Hook it up and go on about a 300 mile hike. Not sure of the exact miles need to be a drive cycle but it seems to be 150 - 300 miles. That way all systems will be up to temp and going through all the motions. Hope you can get it through the smog police!

Topzide , Oct 4, 2022
  3. Cummins2014

I feel your pain ,took my truck 1800 miles clear those exact same four " Not Ready's " so I could pass emissions here in Utah for my yearly registration . Finally had to get a wavier from the county to get it registered at the end of March of this year . Took a trip with the fifth wheel first of April, somewhere between 500 miles , and when I got home after 1800 miles ,and checked them they had cleared . They had not cleared at the 500 mile mark .

I did several of the supposedly drive cycles that would clear them ,no go. Was told by the county they see these cummins go 2000 miles before they clear those system checks . Told be the only thing that would do it was miles , they were right . I am sure many that have had a code ,and CEL that have been cleared or fixed never know they got those not ready's that clear after so many miles .

I think I read somewhere that even changing batteries will create those system checks , and show not ready's if there is a emissions check .

I may take more then just one hill climb with that fifth wheel to clear those , put some miles on it ,and keep checking it .

Cummins2014 , Oct 4, 2022
    Rob S likes this.
  4. Cummins2014

I sure wish mine would of cleared in 150-300 miles , as said above mine was somewhere in the 500-1800 . It was a PITA. But thanks to Sag2 ,and his advice on the CCV filter change instead of replacing nox sensors it cleared the P2201 code ,and CEL . Saved me hundreds if not over a thousand in cost for sensors ,and replacement .

Rob S and TomBrady like this.
  5. surfbeetle

Thank you everyone. It's been frustrating. "Cummins2014" what is the CCV filter you refer to? The frustration is that since if failed to pass smog, I paid the renewal but obviousl got no sticker. Then I got an extension on the registration, hand over another $50 for 60 days extension from the expiration date. Now there were no parts available for a bit so I finally got the City Diesel Actuator installed about three weekends ago. My registration is expired and my wife got a fix it ticket, at least another $25.00. DMV won't give another extension as far as I have read and AAA said the same. They will give a one day moving permit, yep I can do 1800 miles in one day... DOH! I suppose I could go in person and see what DMV will do for me.

surfbeetle , Oct 4, 2022
  6. Cummins2014

The CCV filter is the crank case filter that’s under a cover on the top of the motor. It’s reguired every 67,500 miles . That shouldn’t have anything to do with your troubles . You have those not ready’s while the truck is doing it’s system checks to clear everything. My wavier was for a year unless it was fixed within 60 days , then if it wasn’t fixed , it was a one time wavier, and I would be out of luck getting the truck licensed until it was fixed . But mine cleared after a week , so all was good

7. Topzide TDR MEMBER

@surfbeetle, The CCV filter could be causing you issues if it hasn't been replaced. How many miles on truck and have you had since new? This filter can become oil soaked and not allow air flow though the emission systems. It's a pretty easy repair, https://www.genosgarage.com/category/s?keyword=ccv. It's located under cover on the valve cover. See the Cummins one on B/O and Mopar one is almost twice $. Can look around on web for better $. I've done the filter and EGR clean on mine at the 2nd change interval mileage and will do just filter at next time and then filter and clean after that. Can't see doing the EGR clean every 67.5K if your not just running short trips! Hope you can get it figured out. Are you close enough to sneak it out of state to get the drive time need for the drive cycle! Keep us posted to help others.

Topzide , Oct 5, 2022
    Wiredawg likes this.
  8. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

How is that?

AFIK the CCV vents crankcase to the inlet (thanks to emissions, it went to atmosphere pre 6.7) and should have no bearing on emissions airflow.

AH64ID , Oct 5, 2022
  9. Topzide TDR MEMBER

When it becomes oil soaked, the air return to inlet has excess oil in it and then the vicious cycle begins! More oil being returned through system along with reduced airflow can trip emission codes. There's a reason that it's scheduled to be replaced as a maintenance item.

Topzide , Oct 5, 2022
    Rob S and Wiredawg like this.
  10. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

If the volume of oil going to the inlet is that high you run a greater risk of diesel runaway.

The amount of oil that these engines can burn and still be within spec is pretty high, much higher than an oil soaked CCV will flow. With the proper low ash oil the emissions system isn’t effected by some oil being burned, at least short term. An engine that consumes a quart every 1,000 miles will have a shorter DPF life, even with the proper oil.

All that being said the CCV filter should absolutely be changed at the interval and if its state is unknown it should be changed anyways.

AH64ID , Oct 5, 2022
    Rob S and Wiredawg like this.
  11. Cummins2014

I agree as far as tripping emission codes like mine did, P2201 upstream nox 1 sensor issue ,but he has no emission codes , he has " Not Ready's " for having codes ,and CEL from a bad actuator . His truck is going thru the system checks . If not mistaken you get a code ,and CEL the truck still goes thru the system checks . He's fixed his problem , cleared the CEL, and codes ,now it's taking drive miles to clear the not ready's .

I'll bet money my truck went thru the same system checks when my actuator was replaced , the codes ,and CEL cleared . If I would of turned around ,and had a emissions test ,I would not of passed . By the time I had actuator replaced ,and my next emission test for licensing 10 months later , and several thousand miles everything had cleared . IMO his problem is taking miles too clear .

Cummins2014 , Oct 5, 2022
    Wiredawg and AH64ID like this.
  12. Cummins2014

I thought these newer Ram trucks required no EGR cleaning, just the CCV filter change every 67,500 ? As said the P2201 code changing the filter cured my issues ,but the OP has a totally different issue going ,bad actuator that was replaced .

Wiredawg and AH64ID like this.
  13. Topzide TDR MEMBER

My EGR had quite a good amount of carbon build up in it! I know the first CCV change wasn't done so that's why I decided on a clean every other change. A bit tedious of a job, But doable in the driveway. Just plan on 2 days to allow the EGR cooler to soak overnight. The filter kit from Geno's with the plugs was a great purchase! Purple Power or similar will do the job. Was a dirty job for sure! Will be quite awhile before the next cleaning unless the gremlins decide to show up! Time will tell.

Topzide , Oct 5, 2022
  14. surfbeetle

Thank you everyone for the comments. I'll try to answer the questions. I have the four "not ready" notifications for NMHC catalyst, NOx after treatment, Exhaust gas sensor, and PM filter as indicated by my ODB2 dongle and software on my phone. I have had the truck since new in 2016. It has 103,xxx miles. I am not sure, I believe I had the dealer change the CCV at some point in the past.

The stock actuator started failing just before the registration was due last June and I wasn't able to get it to clear all requirements for a smog check before it expired. Then the actuator failed and set another code, P003A Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control "A" Position Exceeded Learning Limit. At that point, I had to get in line and wait for an actuator, so I bought one from City Diesel and I installed it three weeks ago.

Now I'm just trying to get the "Not ready for smog" to be completed so I can smog it and register it. We already got one fix it ticket for no registration. The CA DMV only gives one 60 day extension (at $50) and I have to go into DMV and see if I can explain my sob story and get another extension. Their normal policy is that it's one 60 day extension and then a one day move permit after that to go to the smog check.

Yesterday after work I took an hour drive and followed a drive cycle recommendation I found online but still no change. I am going to pull the fifth wheel on the highway from sea level up to 4000' this weekend and see if that helps. Since we bought a motorhome this year, we haven't pulled anything heaver than a VW Bug on a trailer which really doesn't work the truck at all.

surfbeetle , Oct 5, 2022
  15. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Stupid question here...

A dealer can not reset these monitors after he proofs that everything is alright with the trucks systems?

Just asking, I don't know.

Ozymandias , Oct 5, 2022
  16. Cummins2014

I think you find putting some miles on will clear the not ready's . I got rid of two at around the 500 mile mark, the other two as said somewhere between the 500-1800 mile mark .You may find the same thing a couple have cleared ,but you may get rid of all four . I was told a bunch of stuff , but the guy at the county emissions center was spot on with these Ram trucks ,you need a lot of miles to get cleared .

As said in my post above those drive cycles did not work for me either . You have the same four " Not Ready's as I did. I think anyone that goes thru this on codes ,and CEL ,and had been repaired ,and cleared , they too will show the systems check, and those not ready's .

17. Cummins2014

No, I had mine into a dealer. Told the same thing , put some miles on it ,those not ready's will clear . The truck just has to do its thing first .

I was able to get the waiver on mine for registration because I did have into a dealer ,and had the paper work that showed what had been done ,which was nothing other than a flash , and saying it needed drive cycles to clear .

Ozymandias likes this.
  18. surfbeetle

I have been checking the smog readiness everyday when I get home. Yesterday, the Exhaust gas sensor cleared. This leaves NMHC catalyst, NOx after treatment, and PM filter left to be cleared.

surfbeetle , Oct 6, 2022
    Cummins2014 likes this.
  19. Cummins2014

You are getting there , miles , miles , miles .

Cummins2014 , Oct 6, 2022
  20. Regcabguy

Pine Valley Auto in Alpine is a repair/test facility. Juan is the tech. He's a former Mopar dealer tech who owns his own shop. He only does diesel smogs now as CA wanted $30K more to upgrade his equipment for gas. :mad: He's a good source of information on the Cummins. You might want to give him a call. NTG Racing in Santee uses him exclusively. He's had to send some newer 6.7's back to the dealer on occasion when after 13-1400 miles didn't do it.
    Heck my Honda Pilot took an additional 20 minutes to smog after getting a new battery.
    Best of luck. I'll keep my '07 5.9 for while but Newsom wants me off the road.

Regcabguy , Oct 6, 2022