Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbo Terry

Working on a Genos order now Often thought about putting one on my old 99 24v but maybe on the 2022 . I don’t drive off road with truck some gravel roads. Any issues with hitting things etc coming open etc would like to know thanks

Turbo Terry , Sep 29, 2022
  2. Regcabguy

No issues in 23 years. My last truck went to Baja 33 times. A friend installs them on every HD and LT truck he maintains. Again no issues.

Regcabguy , Sep 29, 2022
    Bug Out likes this.
  3. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Not for me!!! I do have one on my boat. I just don't trust people. From what i have been told they protrude past the top of the existing threads leaving even more oil in the pan.

Cummins12V98 , Sep 29, 2022
  4. Turbo Terry

Like is someone really going to roll under there and dump your oil how would they know you even have one. Oh a rear window bumper sticker I suppose I’m trying to make it easy to change oil for maybe my step son no wrenches gaskets overnighting etc on another note just the other day my brother in law was looking at my new truck. He said why do you having locking gas and def caps. He said nobody can siphon diesel out. I said I’m not worried about what they take out but what they would put in why a 300 ml of water or coke in the def or fuel would truly cause some problems I think

Turbo Terry , Sep 29, 2022
    Jim W and 06 Dodge like this.
  5. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Get the FEMCO one from Genos, much safer.

Ozymandias , Sep 29, 2022
    Wal_mart, Topzide and Jim W like this.
  6. Larry Willard TDR MEMBER

I have used one on all my trucks in the last 25+ years as well as the wifes car. Makes oil changes easy and the oil left in pan is minimal.

Larry Willard , Sep 29, 2022
    Bug Out likes this.
  7. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I’d never run one, in too paranoid about a piece of road debris ripping it off. The way the oil pressure “gauge” works on these trucks it would be too late by the time you were notified.

It’s not unwarranted either, as I’ve road debris dent an oil pan.

It’s really not that big of a deal to pull the plug, IMHO.

AH64ID , Sep 29, 2022
    Mark31 likes this.
  8. Turbo Terry

I agree pull the plug like always I thin

Turbo Terry , Sep 30, 2022
  9. Jim W TDR MEMBER

I have had a Femco drain valve on my truck since new. Never had an issue with the drain valve. I have always worry about cross threading and stripping out the drain plug on an oil pan. For the naysayers that say this can't happen, I have seen this happen on CAT machines when the grease monkeys got in a hurry when changing the engine oil. I have even seen were they have dump over 200 gallons of hydraulic oil on the ground from lack of installing drain plugs. Thus, causing extensive damage to the 6 piston pumps on that machine when they went dry from a lack of oil.

If you are rock crawling with your truck than that is a different case.

Jim W , Sep 30, 2022
    Topzide likes this.
  10. BarryG TDR MEMBER

Terry I have not used the finger touch but have used the fumoto one they sell (they appear to be very similar). Between two trucks probably have 400,000 miles of use on them. It is not going to open by itself. If someone is going to crawl under and open it up they aren't going to let a wrench keep them from doing that so not worried about that at all. The possibility of it getting damaged I guess is real but I quit worrying about that about 300,000 miles ago. I like it, no more oil running down my arm or all over my wrench or dropping the plug into the oil catch basin having to fish it out. Way back when, when genos first started selling the fumoto there were some people who cut a slot in the top part of the threads so that more/all oil could drain. I never really worried about it myself as it cant be holding that much oil. I have never had the opportunity to see the valve with the pan off to see how much it actually could hold back. My driveway is on a hill and the truck wont fit in the garage so any time I change the oil I have to start the truck and pull it 3/4's into the garage. At that point any of the nasties that might drop out of suspension in the oil from sitting there for hours are no longer just sitting in the bottom of the pan since I have started the engine and it has run for a couple minutes. And if by chance it is that chunky I have a much larger problem anyway and the oil plug type is going to be the least of my worries.

BarryG , Sep 30, 2022
    bcbender and lpennock like this.
  11. odinjunior

I put a drain valve on all my trucks and cars. I still use the drain hose that came with the one I put on my 98.5. As soon as the second oil change I was forced to buy from the dealer is done I will put one on the current truck.

odinjunior , Oct 3, 2022
    Topzide likes this.
  12. CBari

I have them on all of my trucks and have close to a million miles combined. I too have heard the concerns about all the oil not draining and when I mentioned this to a friend who was a Dodge service manager and certified diesel mechanic, who but my concerns at ease. He took me back in the shop and showed me a 5.9 oil pan that had been replaced. Inside the oil pan is a nut that is welded to the pan to make up the threads for the oil drain. It was tall enough that by simply removing the plug not all of the oil is draining either and it looked tall enough that the treads on the finger touch wouldn't be extending past it either. I how ever can not confirm this. The last truck I put one in I was going to measure the tread depth and take video and do a write up on it but I was in a hurry when the time came to do it. The final info I have on the draining issue is I add exactly 3 gallons measured a gallon at a time from my bulk fill tanks when I change mine, if it was hold oil in the pan I should be overfilled and I am not. I love them so much I have made several similar devices for generators that I change often also.

CBari , Oct 3, 2022
    06 Dodge, brucejohnson and lpennock like this.
  13. Turbo Terry

Ok nice info. My only concern if my Indy mechanic or real time if a dealer monkey can figure out how this all works. Maybe should just use the stock plug

Turbo Terry , Oct 5, 2022
    Wal_mart likes this.
  14. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Stock plug on a 11 and now 15 combined 160k with zero leaks or cross threading.

Cummins12V98 , Oct 5, 2022
  15. Wiredawg

The finger touch drains have been discussed, debated, argued, and cussed on this forum for 22 years I've been a member. No real right or wrong answer, use it or don't based upon your likes, beliefs, and or fears. I have them on every vehicle I own and in 22 years, never been documented anyone ever scraped ao damaged one, no one ever crawled under a vehicle and opened a valve, or never been hit by road debris.

And so, again, it's what you like is the right answer.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Oct 5, 2022
    06 Dodge, brucejohnson, CBari and 4 others like this.
  16. Bug Out TDR MEMBER

After my first diesel engine oil change way back in 1998 and getting covered in oil from the gushing volume of oil coming out of the pan, I've had the Fumoto on every diesel engine since. No issues.

Bug Out , Oct 6, 2022
  17. JackFate

I have the drain plug that you must screw in a hose attachment to drain . Purchased from geno’s. I use a mortar pan with a empty 2-1/2 gallon def container in the pan . I really don’t need the mortar pan as I just put the hose in the jug & screw it in that let’s the oil drain cleanly filling the jug for easy handing & disposal. And yes if you want that last 5oz of oil out you would then remove the fittings in the pan . I do that about every other change ( once a year ) I run full syn and no more than 5000 miles . I do this do to warranty requirements ( max care)

JackFate , Oct 6, 2022
  18. jrollf

I have the same plug, and have used it on other trucks with successes. However, I differ in that I never pull the plug to get the last tiny bit out, I figure there is way more oil still in the oil galleries, oil cooler, etc, that it doesn't really make a difference. Modern diesels have a surprising amount of oil that can't be drained when you change the oil. IMHO, the last little bit you miss with this drain plug is inconsequential, even with the factory oil plug, you don't get "all" the oil out.

jrollf , Oct 13, 2022
  19. Killer223

all the back and forth, i have them, i've never had an issue, they are tough, i've had tire scraps on the highway dent the oil and trans pan on my truck the valve held just fine. They are stout.
    but if you try it, and like it great, if you don't just swap it back... for the price of them, it's hard to not try it.
    as for the minimal amount of oil still in the pan, every engine does this, you never get all the oil out, and if a few ounces of used oil ruins the oil change then maybe larger issues are afoot.

Killer223 , Oct 13, 2022
    lpennock likes this.
  20. Topzide TDR MEMBER

The engineers has taken the minimal amount of oil that is left in the engine. If it was a problem, they would have done a different way to get oil out. I think there's a foreign manufacture that the oil is pulled out though dip stick. Just changing out when needed is the most important thing! Like others have mentioned, the stamped nut welded to bottom of the pan to thread drain plug into sticks up to hold back some oil. Whichever you do, valve or plug, just change your oil! :D

Topzide , Oct 13, 2022
    odinjunior and Wiredawg like this.