Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryG TDR MEMBER

Just a quick FYI. I had purchased one of the green fuel caps from genos for my truck last year. It worked pretty well but was definitely a bit tough to get it to seat correctly. After reading the article in the TDR by James Langdon (may have wrong last name) he had made mention of using a 0216 o ring on the cap and it fit great (I have no idea what cap he started with as it didnt say it was the genos one or not). In any case I just happen to remember reading that the other day when I was in the auto parts store and picked one up. It was like a $1. I swapped out the o ring and it did make quite a difference on the ease of getting it on and off. It fully seats now with just a little pressure and same coming off, much better.

BarryG , Oct 20, 2017
  2. Jared Herzog

My cap was from a guy in Montana through Amazon. Due to the filler neck variations my cap came with three different sized orings. I used the largest and it was still too loose. He sent me another free and it worked. Since these fillers had no cap the tolerances vary wildly.

Jared Herzog , Oct 20, 2017
  3. BarryG TDR MEMBER

I guess you are right hadn't thought about that probably depends on who makes the cap as well and what size they are machining them, how deep the o-ring groove is cut on the cap etc. I guess I should reword my post to "on my cap from genos on my truck the 0216 ring helped it"

BarryG , Oct 20, 2017
  4. wyosteve TDR MEMBER

My cap from Genos fits snug which I like. I periodically spray a bit of silicone on the o-ring which helps in removing the cap.

wyosteve , Oct 20, 2017
  5. y2k17ram

After looking at most of the caps, I found one that has a raised section I can get a-hold of to make it easier to get out. 2 thumbs up!

Cap.JPG

y2k17ram , Oct 20, 2017
  6. dogbreath650

Looked on Amazon and O'reilly websites and can't come up with a 0216 o-ring match. Any more clues on how to find one?

dogbreath650 , Oct 20, 2017
  7. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

The cap for the EGO Diesel works WELL!!!

Bought on AMAZON. Mopar 82214609 Non-Locking Gas Cap (Diesel), 1 Pack
    by Mopar
    $16.79

This has a tether and works WELL!

Cummins12V98 , Oct 21, 2017
  8. Ram4Sam TDR MEMBER

Amen brother.....

My green one is now just a paper weight....this mopar one is easy on/off with no oring issues.......

zbay.jpg

Ram4Sam , Oct 21, 2017
  9. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

YEP thats the one!!! I had the green one and I would stick it to the fuel door. Stopped to fuel in Oregon and before I could tell the guy I will fuel my self he had the door open and sat the cap on the bed rail. So I proceeded to fuel and drove off with it setting on rail then off to the ground and is now on someone else truck!

SNOKING turned me on to this one, Thanks!!!

Cummins12V98 , Oct 22, 2017
  10. GSykes TDR MEMBER

This is the one I purchased from Genos. I like it because it fits down over the outside of the fuel filler neck not flush with the top. Works for me, no issues.

Fuel cap 1.jpg

Fuel cap 2.jpg

GSykes , Oct 22, 2017
  11. frost

Been thinking about a GREEN fuel cap for my 2016 Ram 2500, I was suprised when I got it & opened the filler door to see a red piece of plastic covering the filler I would think with the amount of $$$ we all drop for these trucks they would include a real filler cap! Apparently they feel what they provide (nothing) is sufficient

frost , Oct 23, 2017
  12. masterdrago

Are these new fuel caps really needed or are they just cool? My new Ram came with a 20 cent plastic cap that fits really tight. I think they spent the $$$ on important stuff like that awesome Cummins diesel motor. And hey, I sure wish we could have found our '17 in that Demonico red like that of GSykes!

masterdrago , Nov 1, 2017
  13. masterdrago

They could have spent just a bit more on my tires - Korean made Nexen Roadian HTX RH5 LTV.

masterdrago , Nov 1, 2017
  14. y2k17ram

No, I guess not. I suppose that's why there are 2 fuel filters, so all the dirt and dust that collects in the filler neck don't make it to the engine when the flapper door opens and falls into the tank.

y2k17ram , Nov 1, 2017
  15. BarryG TDR MEMBER

I know I drive a lot of dirt/gravel roads and there is usually a coating of dust on everything inside the fuel door including the filler flapper valve. You stick in the fuel nozzle it pushes the flapper valve open and scrapes the dust right off it, where did it go right down into the fuel tank, not to mention the the flapper valve is not air tight to begin with. Does it get filtered out surely or remains sediment in the bottom of the tank I just don't want anything more than necessary going in there. The oem plastic cap if you could call it that on mine blew away in the wind one day when filling the tank, hence the Genos purchase.

BarryG , Nov 1, 2017
  16. RClark

i bought mine from Amazon. A little oil on the o ring and it was easy in/out, if I turned it. Glued a large steel washer to the inside of the door and the magnet holds the cap there.

RClark , Nov 1, 2017
  17. GSykes TDR MEMBER

Just checked the latest Geno's catalog, the one I purchased is no longer shown/listed but it is on their web site.

GSykes , Nov 5, 2017