Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cummins2014

Been wanting to add a set of the automatic Amp Steps for some time now. My son has run them on his 2016 since new without an issue. Was looking on a local advertising site the other day, caught a listing of a brand new set of them ,still in the box for a great price. Anyway off with those crappy OE steps ,and now have the Amps on there . So much nicer getting in ,and out of the truck, just better in every way.

Thought I would share if anyone is thinking about getting them Have had several side steps over the years ,and IMO these are by far the best . Even if they were just there not automatic or folding, they are still a better step then the OE's I had .

Cummins2014 , Oct 15, 2021
  2. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

Curious what was wrong with the OE steps?

Yes AMP makes a nice product. My Dad had them installed on the 19 Grand Cherokee we bought from him. Wife and hated them so much I removed the fuse. They came out way too far and felt awkward.

Cummins12V98 , Oct 15, 2021
  3. lpennock

I've had the AMP steps on 3 rams now and wouldn't want a truck without them. Lower vehicles I might like as much but they make the step heights much better on the RAM.

lpennock , Oct 15, 2021
    Cummins2014 likes this.
  4. Cummins2014

Where do I begin :), first off they were the style with the two separate foot pads to step on . Not too bad getting in ,but I seemed to always want to step right behind the pad ,missing it getting out , unless I made an effort to reposition to hit the pad, which I didn't so I was always stepping just on the chrome . They lost that nice black look on the foot pads not long after I got them, and if I did anything to them like 303, it made them like ice-skates . Hard to clean up with the groves they had, they had some kind of tarnish spots on them, that I couldn't seem to get off the chrome . My foot pad was all cracked ,needed replacement . Plus I just don't like the looks of them being on the truck period, they were a necessary evil IMO.

I like the looks of a nice clean truck without anything going down the sides . As far as the function of the Amp steps ,far superior IMO to getting in ,and out ,they are a bit wider . they are also just a bit lower, I prefer that. As far as keeping them looking good ,not really a must ,they come out to use ,and disappear the rest of the time :D ,so not nearly as unsightly as those chrome steps . I had the benefit of knowing how they worked ,and getting in ,and out of my sons truck.

I can't imagine having them on a SUV , yes they would be awkward , can't see a need for any steps on that type of vehicle. I certainly wouldn't want them on our Ford Escape

Anyway I like them ,and would recommend them to anyone thinking about getting them. They are a mechanical device, and there could be issues with them, and there have been. My sons have been trouble free for 5 years, but that's not saying I won't have a problem down the road . Plus they are not cheap .

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Cummins12V98 likes this.
  5. Cummins2014

You have to have them on your truck to really know how they are , can't imagine anyone not liking them for what they are used for. I am sure some have had them ,and have had problems ,and can bad mouth that part , but the way they function ,and getting in ,and out of the truck they would be hard to beat .

6. HPSimpson TDR MEMBER

I installed Amp steps on last two trucks there a great product no problems and straight forward instructions and work right the first time.:cool:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    HPSimpson , Oct 15, 2021
    Cummins2014 and Rob S like this.
  7. Cummins2014

If I hadn't got these for the price I got them, I would of installed myself. I was going to just order a set, and install, when I ran across these locally brand new still in the box. Had a local custom shop install them , cost me $250. I am into them less then if I had ordered them online. Best price I could find was $1399 online. Those were the non plug ,and play . Plug ,and play were $1599

Cummins2014 , Oct 17, 2021
  8. lpennock

I prefer the non-plug-n-play. To many things want to hang off the OBD port which was never designed for that.

lpennock , Oct 17, 2021
    Cummins2014 likes this.
  9. Cummins2014

This set I have is the non plug ,and play. I have heard that about plug ,and play. My sons is also just hard wired . When I asked the custom shop about installing them, they told me they charge $50 more for the non plug ,and play . Yet it costs you $200 more to buy it, doesn't make much sense if you are having someone install them.

Cummins2014 , Oct 17, 2021