Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archive

Just came from NAPA (oil change time) and saw what they call "tractor work lights" for $9. 77. They have a black housing, are about 4 inches across and have an adjustable elbow and mounting bolt included. Dont know what the wattage is... anyone use these? How are they?

------------------
    97 2500 CC 4x4 3. 54 5spd, Green, #12 plate slid all the way forward, 4inch open exhaust, 235/85 Michelins, RS 9000's, PrimeLoc, Red Tops, TDR cloisonae grill badge!

Archive , Jan 14, 2001
  2. Archive

I'm not sure although, I think those are the very same lights Rob Hanson has on his Ram... I saw them the other day when I was at our local NAPA AP store. I also checked them out and couldn't find a wattage rating... if they are the very same as Rob's I can tell you this, they're bright! I know this because he nuked me with them when I was following him one very dark night.

..... remember Rob, payback's a bi*ch.

Archive , Jan 14, 2001
  3. Archive

Those lights have been on sale at my local NAPA at that price for over five years,they must have got a load of them. I've bought several for use on tractors and equipment,but not for my Rams. They're heavy duty enough,I haven't had any burn out. What you may not like for use as a backup light is that they are spot type lights,I prefer a wider beam spread(flood) for a backup light,but the price is right. If you hang them upside down under your bumper you should make a drain hole in the rubber,they will fill with water and short out,they're designed to have the bracket down.

------------------
    95' 25004X4,AT,Driftwood,Banks Stinger,Warn fender flairs and running boards(work truck)
    95 3500,5 speed 3:54,BD E-brake,Driftwood,Banks&Psycotty,34,000 GCVW apple and tractor hauler(works harder truck)

Archive , Jan 14, 2001
  4. Archive

I like several things about these, one of which they are bright! But I also liked how easy they were to install, and the mount already points them out a bit, so you can see the sides of the trailer, tires, etc. Anyway, here they are!
    [​IMG]

------------------
    Rob Hanson
    1999 "Big Red", 3500 SLT QC 4X4 6 spd, 4. 10 LSD, Braided SS fuel lines, Mag-Hytec Rear Cover, Cummins E-Brake, Blue Box, DD3 Injectors, Banks High Ram and 14cm Wastegated Turbo, All-steel Cowl Induction Hood, Cummins RED Valve Cover, Rhino, Rosewood Kit, Scotty System, SportComp Gauges, TorkLift SuperHitch, Tekonsha Brake Controller, Rear Flood lights, Cobra CB, DeeZee Running Boards, BD 2WD Low kit, Air Lift bags and a Geno's "I tromped a Ford" decal. Member of BOMB! (WW NW Chapter)

MyPics.com (pics updated 10/14/00)

I'd rather be... .
    Cummin than Strokin.

Archive , Jan 14, 2001
  5. Archive

Had two of those on my brand C before I went Diesel. They are 35 watts & work great! I now use 2 55 watt marine Jabsco lights. Fully sealed.

------------------
    Andy Raiha

96/2500/4x4/4. 10/5sp/CC

Archive , Jan 14, 2001
  6. Archive

BCFast, I bought some 50watt halogen replacement bulbs for my Ram stock back-up lights from Performance products.com. They really work well and you dont have to add any lights! they give a good flood beam. You might look them up on line, Good Luck

98. 5 24V, BD Exhaust, Brake, power modual, gauges, rancho9's 315's on allyos, bushwacker fender flairs, pioneer stereo,camper shell.

Archive , Jan 14, 2001
  7. Archive

Look at the back of tow trucks. Thats what you will see is that type of light. I have them on the back of my rollback and I love them. If you have a nice truck you might think that they take away from the appearence. Just hide them somewhat. I like the way the red dodge has them mounted.

Archive , Jan 14, 2001
  8. Archive

Davedd... I have the halogen backup lights also. They are brighter than oem, but not bright enough to see a trailer or its load. These do the trick for me.

Archive , Jan 14, 2001
  9. Archive

Here's mine...

[​IMG]#ad

I had the same type on my last truck and they were still going strong when I turned it in 3 years later. I don't know what the wattage is but these are made by PM. I bought em at J. C. Whitney. They work great when backing and they swivel up if you happen to get too close to a snow bank (been there, done that).

Scott W.

Archive , Jan 14, 2001
  10. Archive

I used a couple of KC driving lights, the 2" x 6" rectangular style. Since they are 55W each, I wired them with a relay. I also wired them so they can be controlled with a separate switch, and they also come on when I shift into reverse. ULTRA bright, much brighter than the tractor lights. I think the tractor lights I sold to Rob are like 20 watts or so. Pretty tough rubber housing, good mounting provisions too. I just needed something brighter.

Here's some pictures...

This one shows the brackets I made to mount the lights:

[​IMG]#ad

Here's an action shot:

[​IMG]#ad

BOMBED [​IMG]#ad

------------------

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">

<font color="#000080" size="2" face="Tahoma">

Evan A. Beck "NW PUNK"
    </font></p>

<font color="#800040" size="2" face="Tahoma">

'01 2500HD 4x2 QC, 139" WB, 6-speed, ETH, SLT... yadda yadda yadda... 31,620 miles since 4/26/00!
    </font></p>

<font color="#0000FF" size="2" face="Tahoma">

<marquee> [​IMG]#ad
    Check out NW PUNK for more info! [​IMG]#ad
    </marquee>
    </font></p>

Archive , Jan 14, 2001
  11. Archive

I bought the Navigator 4 1/4" x 1 3/4", 55W halogen backup light kit from Camping World for under $30. 00. They are very bright and work great. The have a mounting system that mounts directly to the tow hitch.

------------------
    <font color=blue>"WHITE OBSESSION" 99 Quad Cab, White, SLT, 4x4, 5-sp, 3:54's, Raven cap (cab high), Rhino liner, Stainless Nerf Bars, Stainless Rocker Panels, Tow package, Pro-flap mud flaps with Stainless Cummins "C" add to rear flaps, Valentine One, Uniden PC78LTW CB, Hadley Bully Air Horns, HOT Power edge, Psychotty Air Induction, Braided SS Fuel Lines, 4" Jardine Exhaust (Love the deep throaty sound), 285/75R16 Cooper A/T's, Navigator 55w backup lights. </font>

<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1086000&a=9265455" TARGET=_blank><font color=red>My 99 Dodge Cummins</A></font>
    <A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1086000&a=9815423" TARGET=_blank><font color=green>BD Dyno Days 10/28/00</A></font>

<font color=purple>
    Things to come; The clutch has let me know it is going to need attention very soon!
    Pyro, 50# Boost and Fuel Pressure gauges (have Ultra lites will install shortly), PE EZ timing module and injectors (have Bully Dog step III injectors just need to install them), have 2 KC Daylighters (Stainless with 385,000 candlepower each), have 2 KC Fog lamps(Stainless 100w each) and waiting for Bar II Stainless Brush Guard to arrive, then will mount guard and lights.

NRA Life Member! (Need to protect our rights and FREEDOM!!)<font size=-2>

[This message has been edited by BIG BOB (edited 01-18-2001). ]

Archive , Jan 14, 2001
  12. Archive

[​IMG]#ad

Those NAPA lights your talking about for $9. 00 are 35 watt. They work great. I bought a pair but changed to a higher watt bulb. (aircraft 100w)

------------------
    Mike Clay
    2001 HO,6 speed QC,2500,4x4Dark Garnet Red,Isspro E&B gauges on A Pillar, Rhino Nerf Steps Lit, NW Custom rocker panels, Jacobs E-brake, all options except leather, Reese 20k hitch. Towing a 30' Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 5th Wheel triple slide. The Mule

[This message has been edited by claymike (edited 01-17-2001). ]

[This message has been edited by claymike (edited 01-17-2001). ]

Archive , Jan 15, 2001
  13. Archive

claymike... don't fret the wattage... its like hp, 35=20 or so, unless its your truck!

Archive , Jan 15, 2001
  14. Archive

I knew those tractor lights were around the 30W range, wasn't sure though. I wish they had a better beam pattern, they are a great deal at 10 bucks each!

Just one note guys...

If you plan to have them come on with your reverse lights, BE SURE to wire them with a relay. The backup light circuit is not designed for the added 70W or so of load.

Archive , Jan 15, 2001
  15. Archive

[​IMG]#ad

Don't see too many folks from snow country in those shots... . At least they all look far too straight to be snow country backup lights...

Just bought a set of those tractor lights and will finally be mounting them ABOVE the bumper, just below the taillights. I don't want to drill the bumper, but... .

This will be my third set of lights... . (not counting the wife's suburban)

------------------
    99' SB 4x4 : DDI's, HOT PE, SPA dual gauge, ESPAR, Line-X OTR, Ladder bars, AMSOIL, etc (GPS,Cell,CB,... . )
    Green Monster

Archive , Jan 16, 2001
  16. Archive

I too am looking to add on back up lights but with minimal experience with relays, am a little hesitant. Can I hook them up to come on the reverse circuit and have a manual 'on' switch as well? Not sure how this is wired or if it can be done..... Help!

Thanks, Steve.

------------------
    98 qc, 12V, 4x4, slt laramie, 3:54 ls diff, 2YG pkg, Kelsey trailer brake control, dodge running boards, diamond plate bed rails, prime designs bug shields, silencer ring wind chime on porch, Raven cab-hi camper shell, psychotty air system, T/C lock-up switch, gutted cat, Walker muffler 22572, crome 5" tip from Kenworth stack, Isspro guages, A pillar 3 guage mount, TST #6 250/635.

Toys: 70' F250 4x4 highboy- 429cid 400+ hp on 35"BFG's(ranch truck) 64' MF 205 tractor 3cyl perkins diesel w/bucket

Archive , Jan 17, 2001
  17. Archive

DavidVT... your point is well taken! I do not live in snow country right now, but I go there often, and lived there for many years. I always tell my wife that anyone that lives there knows not to mount them under the bumper, hanging down.

Problem I had was with a camper, anywhere else would just not work. If ya look at my pic towards the top, I then chose to mount them sideways, to get protection from the hitch. While living in Montana and Utah, I have seen these lights last less than 30 days when they are mounted hanging down!

Archive , Jan 17, 2001
  18. Archive

Steve, I wired mine the way you describe. Email me for more info. [​IMG]#ad

Archive , Jan 17, 2001
  19. Archive

Evan... the backup lights were bright enough, but have since replaced with 100w aircraft landing lights as per another member! Now, they are super bright!

Archive , Jan 17, 2001
  20. Archive

Sure hope you are using the righ size wire and fuse for all that wattage! [​IMG]#ad

Archive , Jan 17, 2001