Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Don

Guys,

Talk to me about the GV overdrive. I have 4. 10 gears and a 5 speed. I know some of you are running these units. I want to buy (I think) but have received no feedback of how good they work.

thanks
    Don

------------------
    Ol' Blue "First of the first gens: 1989 D 250 Ice blue met. 5 spd 3. 54, 155,000, Banks stage III powerpack, 3. 5" straight exhaust, pump adjustments, "'Ol Blue Special" injectors.
    1999 3500 4x4 Chassis cab Emerald green ISB 5 spd 4. 10 K&N Filter straight exhaust 9 ft flatbed WARN fenderflares,Let, 275hp injectors installed, boost and pyro gages, VA plug'n power and Practical Solutions boost module. Jacobs E brake. Getting ready to install Banks Power Pack TLC!!
    May buy another one in 2009!!

Big Don , Jan 20, 2001
  2. Paul

I think it is one of, if not THE best additions to our truck!

------------------
    Paul A. Schmidt
    95, 4X4, SLT 2500, 5 spd. , 4. 10, 270 hp. ,675ft. lb. TST, AFC spring kit,215hp. injectors,16cm2 turbo housing, Pacbrake, Walker muffler,
    GearVendor O. D. , CenterForce Dual Friction clutch.
    Eastern PA.

Paul , Jan 20, 2001
  3. JSchooley

I have been running one with an auto and love it. My last truck was a 5sp and the gap between 4th and 5th was often a real bummer. The extra gear would have been nicer than nice.

One caution - Do not engage an exhaust brake with the GearVendors in OD. The spiral cut on the gears helps seat the clutch when under power. With negative power the opposite happens and with a great retardation the clutch can slip and ruin the transmission.

------------------
    John S. '99 QC 1T 4. 11 A/T Leather Driftwood, 50 Gal aux tank/tool box, gearvendors, BD brake/autolok, BD ISB comp, guages, BD Pressure Lock and Pract. Sol. Boost Elbow.

Just a Little BOMBed and liking it a lot.

JSchooley , Jan 21, 2001
  4. Barry

That's the answer I have been looking for! So you can use the ebrake if the unit is OUT of O/D. The places I really need the brake, I would not be in O/D to begin with. Thanx guys, that helps... ... ... ...

------------------
    2001 2500 QC, ETH/DEE,4:10s, LSD, EZ with elbow(25PSI) Boost/Pyro Guages, 4" Turbo back, BD Brake,Mag-Hytec Cover, Kleen Wheels, Energy Release, 70 gal. fuel, 20K Reese. 22,000 miles on 12/19/00 (RV Dealer)

Barry , Jan 21, 2001
  5. Gary - K7GLD

Mine's the US Gear unit, but you will LOVE either one, and the flexibility they give add to your driving enjoyment... Wouldn't be without mine!

------------------
    Early '91 250, 727 AT, 307 rear... Banks Stinger exhaust, intercooler... US Gear OD... MORE than a match for every new PS Ford encountered so far...

Gary - K7GLD , Jan 21, 2001
  6. WOT TDR MEMBER

I've been thinking about either a US Gear or a Gear Vendors unit. Can anyone tell me how much shorter the driveshaft needs to be to complete the installation (for either type)? How does this effect the driveline angles? Did you have to add wedges to the rear axle mounting plates?

I have a Quadcab short bed. I suspect a long bed would be an easier install with respect to the driveline angles!

7. Paul

Bob
    With either unit you would have to shorten the rear shaft about 12". If you have a 4X4 and go with the US Gear you would have to lengthen the front the same. The GearVendor goes on the back of the transfer case, and cannot be used in 4 wheel drive. I believe on a Quadcab longbed there is a 2 piece driveshaft, this would be replaced with a one piece. I measured my joint angles and it is close for needing a wedge but had a 4X4 shop and a spring shop look at it and they told me to leave it alone unless I had alot of u-joint problems.

------------------
    Paul A. Schmidt
    95, 4X4, SLT 2500, 5 spd. , 4. 10, 270 hp. ,675ft. lb. TST, AFC spring kit,215hp. injectors,16cm2 turbo housing, Pacbrake, Walker muffler,
    GearVendor O. D. , CenterForce Dual Friction clutch.
    Eastern PA.

[This message has been edited by Paul (edited 01-21-2001). ]

Paul , Jan 21, 2001
  8. John TDR MEMBER

To clarify this a little bit; I have been told you CAN use an exhaust brake with the US Gear auxiliary transmission whether it is engaged or not (overdrive version or underdrive version).

John , Jan 22, 2001
  9. mikepvg

I could not imagine pulling anything in the mtns w/o one. In fact its works so well that if I were to buy a another truck, it would be the first addition to it. Paul Schmidt knows these units extemely well if you need detail knowledge.
    Hey Paul, have'nt had a chance to install your relay yet. Boy, when you get a cool project you wouldn't believe the stuff that comes up to take your time away! [​IMG]

------------------
    94 2500HD 5sp 4. 10LSD 4X4 ABS w/GearVendor OD, K&N Oval w/ Pre-Filter, "STRAIGHT" Exhaust, Geno's Fumotovalve, 122,000 miles. NRA Member. V1.

mikepvg , Jan 23, 2001
  10. RobG

I just got back from my first (brief) trip loaded with my US Gear Overdrive. I love it!!! Made the trip soooo much nicer having so many gears to choose from, especially since my only power mod is an EZ box.

Driveshaft... my two-piece shaft was replaced with a one-piece, and I used the shop's digital protractor to measure the pinion angle and then install a set of one-degree shims to bring the angle into spec. Was not hard at all to do.

Rob

RobG , Jan 23, 2001