Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archive

I purchased this product from JCW. It consists of a u bracket which fits over the winch tube above the spare. It has holes thru which the rod goes thru. The rod then hangs down and fits thru a lug bolt hole. The rod has groves in it a number of places to fit different rim widths. The lock slides on and will lock in any one of these groves. MY PROBLEM! The rod was about 1/2" too short, which did not allow the lock to snap in. SOLUTION: Cut it and inserted a rebar portion 1" in length. This was put on a 3500.
    Maybe I didn't do it right, But after 4 or 5 struggles I determined it was "Better Off Modified Baby".
    Works slick after it was lengthened.

Just about resorted to a cable and padlock!!!

------------------
    Bert
    2001. 5,3500 QC 4x4, HO/6spd,limited slip,BD brake,60 gal Aero tank.

Archive , Jan 15, 2001
  2. Archive

That's what I use! [​IMG]#ad

------------------
    2001 2500; SLT; 4x4; QC; LWB; Auto; 3. 54 LS; 265s; Camper; Tow; Sliding Rear Window; Travel Convenience Group; Cab Clearance Lamps; Forest Green

Archive , Jan 15, 2001
  3. Archive

cable and padlock is an invitation.

here at work we had several drive by's where the dangling cable would be cut and the tire winched down far enough to cut the retaining cable.

now it's put the lock up high so as not to be visible and no prob's reported or expeienced. Unfortunately it's very inconveinent when you have to lower the spare in any location other than pavement.

but at least ya got a tire with the truck.

Archive , Jan 15, 2001
  4. Archive

I tried the cable and padlock, but the "weatherproof" padlock rusted shut. Had to cut the whole thing off. Fortunately, I discovered the problem during routine maintenance and did not need the spare at that time.

Archive , Jan 15, 2001
  5. Archive

I have mine wrapped up so you can't see it unless you're underneath. I put tape over the lock's keyhole to keep the crud out. I hope I never have to get it off on a dark, snowy night, though. I probably don't really need it around here. It just makes me feel better. I considered the Mopar contraption, but I did this instead (cheapskate). [​IMG]#ad

Archive , Jan 15, 2001
  6. Archive

ditto the last three posts. I installed one of those bad boy 6' long, 1/2" diameter, weatherproof cable locks (just fits through the bolt holes in my M/T Alcoa spare)... with the lock and cable up high. In addition, I have a Bestop tire cover covering my spare and I also have a Mopar/McGard security spare tire winch lock conversion (available at the dealer).

..... that ought to hold that little critter

Archive , Jan 16, 2001
  7. Archive

Thanks for all the info. I need to check mine. Living on the gulf coast it won't take long to rust. Then if I do need it,I would be hot as fish grease if I could't get it unlocked. Will check when it quits raining.

------------------
    2001 quadcab slt 2500 HO 6spd. LWB,2wd,dk garnett red, trailer tow package,camper special, anti spin 3. 54 axle, speed liner,oversized stainless steel chicken slide,66 gallon in bed aux. tank,K&N air filter,Reese 20k hitch, Terry 2000 EX 30ft. double slide 5er, 2000 20ft gooseneck for haulin jeep, firewood and huntin stuff. 5X12 tagalong for haulin the 4 wheeler. Okie Newton

Archive , Jan 17, 2001
  8. Archive

I used a bicycle cable lock. Sprayed the lock down with heavy duty silicon,then taped two small but heavy plastic bags over the lock. To further protect the plastic bags I put a rear pocket from a old pair of Levi's over it,put the lock on top of the tire. I had to remove the spare for some work after 4 years,the lock looked brand new and would've opened easily if I hadn't forgot the combination [​IMG]#ad
    Just kidding,used my SS number,the gov't won't let us forget that.

------------------
    95' 25004X4,AT,Driftwood,Banks Stinger,Warn fender flairs and running boards(work truck)
    95 3500,5 speed 3:54,BD E-brake,Driftwood,Banks&Psycotty,34,000 GCVW apple and tractor hauler(works harder truck)

[This message has been edited by illflem (edited 01-17-2001). ]

Archive , Jan 17, 2001
  9. Archive

Why not use the Mopar spare lock. I just installed one on my beast and think its great. I also like the stock appearance. I also put on wheel locks and the Mopar locking fuel cap

------------------
    THE ROCK/2001,4X4,3. 54 GEARS,QC,SB,AT,SPORT,CL,CAMPER PACKAGE,TRAILER PACKAGE,WHITE,MOPAR MOLDED splash guards,STEELHORSE NERF BARS,BEDRUG LINER,CAB HIGH CAP.

Archive , Jan 19, 2001
  10. Archive

Hey Rock, I have the Mopar spare tire lock on my Ram (see my previous post). However, I wanted additional security as my spare is another M/T Alcoa/285 BFG All-Terrain... that's why I added that nukeproof cable lock. I'd hate to have to bankroll another one of those. [​IMG]#ad
    [​IMG]#ad

[This message has been edited by John (edited 01-19-2001). ]

Archive , Jan 19, 2001
  11. Archive

John, sorry about that. You need all the security you can get. I got my beast with the factory alarm and was disapointed that there was no motion sensor or Mopar upgrade available. When i added my topper I wired in a magnetic switch to the rear window and installed an aftermarket alarm up under the spare. My beast now has two seperate alarms and shock sensor and the owner has a carry permit(make my day)

------------------
    THE ROCK/2001,4X4,3. 54 GEARS,QC,SB,AT,SPORT,CL,CAMPER PACKAGE,TRAILER PACKAGE,WHITE,MOPAR MOLDED SPLASH GUARDS,STEELHORSE NERF BARS,BEDRUG LINER,CAB HIGH CAP.

Archive , Jan 19, 2001
  12. Archive

Rock,but is there anyone who cares close by when the alarm goes off. Nowadays most folks and thieves just consider the alarm a distraction more than a call for help. You need a hidden kill switch also.

Archive , Jan 19, 2001
  13. Archive

Hey Rock, ditto on the CCW. In addition, I have the Mopar EVS II alarm system with all available options.

..... hidden kill switch. . hmmm. . would the trigger safety on my Glock qualify? [​IMG]#ad

Archive , Jan 19, 2001
  14. Archive

I got the MOPAR Spare Tire Lock. It's not really a traditional lock, but actually replaces the rod and female receptor at the winch. $28 and 20 minutes and it was done. I tossed my original 'crank' and use the new one (the lock). They said they have like 28 combos so what are the odds of a thief having the right one? Better than nothing.

I'm not trusting that forever though. Plans are to put a 50 gal tank where the spare is and move the spare to the bed, where it will be out of sight (in the shell) and out of the weather.

Now for that kill switch!!

------------------
    2001. 5 2500 SLT+, QC/LB 4x4, ETH, 6spd, 3:54 LSD, camper/tow equip. , NV241HD, Bright Silver, Snug Top, Ispro w/3 pod pillar w/tweeter, Pyro, Boost & Mag Hytec cover w/temp guage, "Plain Wrap" (no emblems-decals?&src=tdr">decals or emblems)

Archive , Jan 22, 2001
  15. Archive

yes kill switch , what are we disarming ?

Archive , Jan 22, 2001
  16. Archive

Kill switch to disarm starter. Easiest way is to break the circuit to the clutch safety switch(on a AT there is a jumper wire in the same location)with a hidden switch. Keeps your truck where you left it.

Archive , Jan 22, 2001
  17. Archive

What's cool about the Mopar spare tire lock is that the clover style key is recessed inside the hollow shaft about (guessing) 2'... if you don't have the correct key on the end of a long enough shaft the spare isn't going anywhere.

Archive , Jan 22, 2001
  18. Archive

John, the noise of the alarm is to alert me that target practice has begun.

------------------
    THE ROCK/2001,4X4,3. 54 GEARS,QC,SB,AT,SPORT,CL,CAMPER PACKAGE,TRAILER PACKAGE,WHITE,MOPAR MOLDED SPLASH GUARDS,STEELHORSE NERF BARS,BEDRUG LINER,CAB HIGH CAP.

Archive , Jan 23, 2001