Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DPKetchum

Hi,looking a buying a gear vendor overdrive/under unit. Wanting any input on them or would money be better spent on a dtt trans?Looking for pull at moderate speeds on hills,40 to 65 mph and to lower rpm's at cruise. Regular pull 9600lbs or so. There are times on big grades etc it's missing the gear that's needed. Any input or thoughts?

DPKetchum , Oct 29, 2002
  2. jrobinson1

I don't have much about auto since i am manual but ... I to looked at GV and ended up with US Gear OD. Rough box. Straight gearbox no clutches I use my clutch to shift it or it can jolt the drivetrain. Shifting up no clutch is easy is going down I can't get all the time.

With an Auto I hear people shift to N then split and go back to D.

Tough box simple does the job, I like it. Works with 4x4. My only dislike is it runs hot and only takes 1qt of lube DON'T OVERFILL it will burn it up. Needs to disapate heat better I think. 30K no probs.

Thought on GV. Cannot split in 4x4, must not be engage if using E-brake (this made me go with US Gear, If they lockout ebrakes there is a weak point in their unit). But contains clutches I believe and supposedly shifts smoother. No personal Experience.

My . 02

james

jrobinson1 , Oct 29, 2002
  3. DPKetchum

u. s. gear dosen't make a unit that will fit a 93 4x4 only 94 up. Says front driveshaft location. Also theirs goes bewteen transfer case and trans,gearn vendors hangs off back of transfer case thats why I'm interested in a gear vendors unit. Thanks for info thou.

DPKetchum , Oct 29, 2002
  4. GLASMITHS

Gearvendors

What James said, except you do not have to shift the transmission to N in order to shift. That is probably to avoid a harsh shift. However, that is the single most important reason I went with the GV instead of USgear. You can shift the GV under full power, up or down. It is about like a locked to lock shift of the transmission.

This is especially helpful when starting from a stop, coming out of some ##@%^&% RV park up a 13% grade. You put it in 1st and the GV manual and at 18 mph it auto up shift to GV and you keep going, no slowing down to speed up. As James said you better not use it for engine braking, with or without an EBrake. Ask me. A replacement unit is only about $700. 00 with shipping.

You can learn to shift it and barely tell when it shifts. But you don't have to. It helps to keep the right seat passenger from:-{}

GLASMITHS , Oct 29, 2002
  5. Reb.B

if u get a dtt transmission, get an overdrive one with lock up, then get the gear venders. I've always thought the the gear venders should go behind an auto and a us gear behind a standard shift. If u want a stout transmission, then maybe the gear venders behind your 727 might be the best. The main problem with the oeverdrive/lockup trannies is the converter and lack of shift kit.

Reb.B , Oct 29, 2002
  6. Doubleclutch TDR MEMBER

I've got the GV in my Manual with 3:54 gears. Going down the road, you can't tell it's in use. A cooler is available from GV if you are concerned heat build-up. Will agree with Reb on USG for Man, GV for Auto... except when you have a standard cab like mine, the USG interferes with the fuel tank (on 4x4). I've heard that USG also changed the gear angles to lessen operation noises. I've conversed with Rick, the Prez of GV- pretty stand-up guy.

Greg

Doubleclutch , Oct 30, 2002