Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrowdy

My vent mods to the tank are finished as is the additional fuel filtering and Raptor pump, 1/2" lines etc,
    so now it's on to the gauge selection.
    I'd like to hear input from you guys on what you prefer and why.
    I think I prefer Analog gauges over digital such as the edge evolution monitor/tuner for the reason of visibility.
    My 2nd gen always had analog such as boost, Lift pump and egt, trans temp but wiring analog gauges is a PITA.
    I was looking at the Edge Evolution CST2 for the reason of ease of installation and tuner but also looking at the Max Tow line of instruments. https://www.maxtow.com/03-09-dodge-ram-cummins-custom-gauge-package/
    Anyone use these?
    My concern with the latter is that they're probably cheap Chinese crap But I think they might be easier to see.
    Also what do you guys consider more important on a C/R engine. Rail pressure, Fuel pressure, or both?

Thx.

rrowdy , Aug 20, 2015
  2. AEdelheit TDR MEMBER

I personally always liked analog better for the simple reason of being to glance at them and getting a rough idea of where the gauge is it. With a digital gauge I have to look at it long enough to focus and read the numbers, analog I glance see the needle is straight up and know that 30psi of boost.

AEdelheit , Aug 20, 2015
  3. mwilson TDR MEMBER

I was an analog man until the CTS was introduced. Now it would be hard to go back to analog. Ease of installation, self dimming at night, alarms, etc. add up to a pretty good package.

IMG_20150820_182921221_HDR.jpg #ad

IMG_20150820_182921221_HDR.jpg #ad

mwilson , Aug 20, 2015
  4. Shadrach

X 2. never had digital tho. David

Shadrach , Aug 21, 2015
  5. rrowdy

Me either, I'm still on the fence about this. They both have advantages and disadvantages, the digital stuff has so much information
    available it can get lost in the many pages or deep within the software.
    Having the tuner integrated with the monitor is a definite plus though. If there was ample room in my truck I'd go analog in a minute.
    I think the new Edge has a 5" screen so that helps but by the time you purchase an egt probe, pressure/temp sensors that cash could buy lots of quality gauges. Tough call......

rrowdy , Aug 21, 2015
  6. RVTRKN

The only thing I hate about anolog gauges, is the room needed to house them. There are pillars and other devices that house them, but they take up alot of space, and give you a cluttered look. Digital is nice to have for saving space and organizing your cockpit you are surrounded in, but can become glitchy and wonder just how accurate it is. I have the PLX KIWI wifi with sensing modules and Dashcommand app for my iPhone that has video output to my OEM REC Navigation screen. When I'm done with the complete setup it'll be 5 times the cost of a CTS monitor with an EGT sensor installed before the turbo. So I recommend the CTS, and as a bonus you can see when your in regen. I have thought about going with a CTS, but I'm too invested in my system that started out as no more than a device to play my music on my REC NAV radio. (Its hard to believe that an expensive option as the REC NAV radio, didn't have an aux jack.) It was a step by step increase in ability and was not planned to be what it is now. Here are some pictures of what I have, but I doubt that anyone will spend the cash to copy it.

image.jpg #ad

IMG_2108.jpg #ad

IMG_2109.jpg #ad

RVTRKN , Aug 23, 2015
  7. rrowdy

Thank's for the opinions guys, I've decided to stay with analog instruments. I was being lazy and dreaded the installation.

rrowdy , Sep 4, 2015
  8. RVTRKN

;) Post some pictures when you get it done.

RVTRKN , Sep 5, 2015