Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nukegm

comrades - was just wondering what ram does to " detune " a g56 HD. can you undo that " de tune " ? i have a g56 2500 2018. however i live at 9500 feet, where the lack of air does plenty of detuning by itself. was thinking of when my warranty is up, and after i replace the rotten banana feeling stock clutch with something else a few years down the road....happy 2020. the date seems fake. cheers! :)

nukegm , Jan 3, 2020
    JohnM45 and promisedland like this.
  2. Randomrunner12

I think they detune the torque management to protect the transmission and dmf from the tq and hp. Best bet is when warranty is up get you some EFI or whatever the new tuning is and have them adjust for the elevation.

Firepunk has new emissions equipped tuning that's actually pretty stout for what it is and helps get rid of that laggy feeling. It should help with your air issue also. Next step would be a better turbo that's capable of operating at the elevation.

Randomrunner12 , Jan 3, 2020
    nukegm likes this.
  3. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

I wouldn’t call it detuned, it’s tuned differently.

De-tuned would be the same tune for all 3 power levels and then just limiting torque. That’s not how the tunes are written, I’ve compared all 3. It’s a different tune.

It would be very easy to give you a factory 68 or AISIN emissions legal tune for your G56. It would likely take a new clutch in short order, and you being fully aware that the G56 isn’t rated for that much power.

I’d have to go look at the tunes more, but you may not feel much difference day to day driving at elevation stock to stock (IIRC around 10K feet is where another air map table takes over). There isn’t a better turbo I can think of for elevation. The stock VGT has a fairly small turbine for our displacement so it will spool pretty quick. I notice elevation much less in my ‘18 than my ‘05, thou I’ve only been up to 8000 so far with any speed. I’ve had it above 9, but on forest service roads.

Lots of folks have good luck with the G56 and added power thou. We ran dads 06 at about 375/800, at the wheels, for 160K miles and no issues. OE clutch even lasted 110K miles.

Now if you’re talking a tune without emissions, or even a custom emissions tune, that’s a different tune too and nearly as easy. Lots of tuning options, and some turbo lag can be tuned out.

AH64ID , Jan 4, 2020
    JohnM45 and promisedland like this.