1. JohncJordanIII

Should there be free play in these? I can grab it by my hand and wiggle it up and down. Not a lot maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch? Just curious

JohncJordanIII , Nov 25, 2023
  2. NIsaacs

Not in the normal use of the word when mechanical linkage clutches were the norm. With a hydraulic clutch release system, no free play. You likely have some wear in the pins and bushings of the peddle and push rod. I would guess you are fine.

NIsaacs , Nov 25, 2023
    Ozymandias likes this.
  3. petersonj TDR MEMBER

There is a small amount of free play in a hydraulic clutch system. I believe there is a compensating port in the bore of the master cylinder that allows fluid to equalize between the cylinder bore and the reservoir when the clutch pedal is released. A small orifice (the compensating port) is drilled and machined at a precise location in the bore so the lip of the seal is not damaged when passing by the orifice. The compensating port allows for thermal expansion / contraction of the hydraulic fluid when the clutch pedal is not being used. Hydraulic pressure builds after the piston seal passes by the compensating port, hence a little free play in the pedal.

- John

petersonj , Nov 25, 2023
  4. Regcabguy

Mine's had an a bit of wiggle since the stock clutch was replaced with an SBC OKHD.

Regcabguy , Nov 25, 2023