Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoefler

Received this in my inbox today

[​IMG]#ad

Your vehicle MAY be involved in a safety recall and MAY create a safety risk for you or your passengers. If left unrepaired, a potential safety defect could lead to injury or even death. Safety defects must be repaired by a dealer at no cost to you.

Why am I getting this email?
    You are receiving this message because you requested to be notified by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) if there is a safety recall that may affect your vehicle.

The following may apply to one or more of your vehicles if your vehicle is listed below. Click on the NHTSA Recall ID Number below to read more about the safety issue and the reason for the recall.

To find out if your specific passenger vehicle is included in the recall, use our VIN Look-up Tool.

NHTSA Recall ID Number :

21V880

Manufacturer :

Chrysler (FCA US, LLC)

Subject :

High Pressure fuel pumps May Fail

Make

Model

Model Years

RAM

2019-2020

RAM

2019-2020

RAM

2019-2020

RAM

2019-2020

What is a recall?
    When a manufacturer or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) determines that a vehicle creates an unreasonable risk to safety or fails to meet minimum safety standards, the manufacturer is required to fix that vehicle at no cost to the owner. That can be done by repairing it, replacing it, offering a refund (for equipment) or, in rare cases, repurchasing the car.

What should I do if my vehicle is included in this recall?
    If your vehicle is included in this recall, it is very important that you get it fixed as soon as possible given the potential danger to you and your passengers if it is not addressed. You should receive a separate letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, notifying you of the recall and explaining when the remedy will be available, whom to contact to repair your vehicle, and to remind you that the repair will be done at no charge to you. If you believe your vehicle is included in the recall, but you do not receive a letter in the mail from the vehicle manufacturer, please call NHTSA's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236, or contact your vehicle manufacturer or dealership.

Thank you for your attention to this important safety matter and for your commitment to helping save lives on America's roadways.

Additional Resources
    Understanding Vehicle Recalls
    Recalls FAQ

Thank you,

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
    United States Department of Transportation

Hoefler , Nov 17, 2021
  2. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Interesting.... I wonder what they plan to do, .. My VIN is showing no open recalls, I wonder if its only for the CP4.1 trucks

bcbender , Nov 17, 2021
  3. skorski TDR MEMBER

just checked mine no open recalls also

skorski , Nov 17, 2021
  4. Signal73

The 19-20 trucks only used the 4.2, seems like any truck with the 4.2 (big dimple or not) will be getting recalled. Just give it time, you should be getting notified Jan. 1 2022

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V880-8784.PDF

Signal73 , Nov 17, 2021
  5. brucejohnson TDR MEMBER

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    brucejohnson , Nov 17, 2021
    HPSimpson and Rob S like this.
  6. Rob S TDR MEMBER

Good news
    I just paid off my truck yesterday! :cool:

Rob S , Nov 17, 2021
    Topzide, Bug Out and nukegm like this.
  7. Signal73

F26A54A0-E683-4C2B-9EC7-1DF3CB041793.png #ad
    Just some more info

Signal73 , Nov 17, 2021
  8. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

To my surprise it appears they will replace the CP4 with the CP-ISB21 pump used on the MY21+ trucks. That's not going to be a cheap recall.

"The remedy component is a new HPFP design and updated PCM software."

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V880-8784.PDF

AH64ID , Nov 17, 2021
  9. Cummins12V98 TDR MEMBER

I told friends late this summer when buying a 19 that the pump could be an issue. Good they will be getting it replaced.

Cummins12V98 , Nov 17, 2021
    Rob S likes this.
  10. Tuesdak

I am not easily impressed. However the commitment to "Dependable Diesel Power" is impressive. I bet Ford and GM just laid a egg on their Class Action Lawsuit status...

Edit: Yup. "Smoking Gun"...

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...e-Ram-Trucks-Amid-CP4-Pump-Defect-and-Lawsuit

Wonder if the case was made of cheaper to recall the CP4 vs. warrantying them?

I also wonder if this recall just turned used `19-20 trucks on the lot into "dust collectors" with an open recall and no parts?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    Tuesdak , Nov 17, 2021
    Bug Out and Ram4Sam like this.
  11. SSchang

I also wonder if this recall just turned used `19-20 trucks on the lot into "dust collectors" with an open recall and no parts?[/QUOTE]

I'll let you know. I'm trading my 2020 in on a 2022 next week. We'll see what the dealer says.

SSchang , Nov 17, 2021
    Tuesdak likes this.
  12. sag2 TDR MEMBER

There will be three different recalls to cover all the trucks and pumps. The only two showing are the Y78 and Y87. Not sure where it said the trucks were getting CP3 pumps, that would seem to be unlikely. More likely will be the updated CP4 pump as described in TSB 18-060-20.

sag2 , Nov 17, 2021
    HPSimpson and brucejohnson like this.
  13. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

It certainly won't be a CP3.

It would surprise me for them to use the symmetrical CP4, but who knows... that would be cheaper than the CP-ISB21 upgrade. I guess I am already surprised they are doing anything except an extended warranty.

AH64ID , Nov 17, 2021
    Bug Out likes this.
  14. PRS TDR MEMBER

The recall is effective through the end of production of the 2020MY. The CP4.2 symmetrical pump was installed in production beginning in about July 2020. So the replacement will not be the CP4.2.

Rob S likes this.
  15. Signal73

We could only hope! I also see it says they will repurchase fuel pumps AND engines. That’s an interesting sentence that should spark some interesting debate until the official fix is authorized....

Signal73 , Nov 17, 2021
    Bug Out and Rob S like this.
  16. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Wait, I thought the 21+ trucks had the CP3? So its not the case? anyway, I am happy with my 20' and will keep it until a new complete redesign is done at least. Flat rear floor is on my top 10 as it makes a big difference with adults and tall children sitting in the back seat.. My dad's Ford is that way and my wife said it was more comfortable back there.. :confused:.... I told her shush.... dont tell dad that!

bcbender , Nov 18, 2021
    Rob S and Cumminsboy77 like this.
  17. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

People are calling it a CP3 but it's not a CP3 as we know it. My understanding is that it is the successor to the CP3 and was designed around higher operating pressures than the CP3 was designed for.

AH64ID , Nov 18, 2021
    Rob S and bcbender like this.
  18. Rob S TDR MEMBER

Recall Y78 just popped up on my mopar (mopar.com) for my vin: and a brief explaination:
    Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk

A high pressure fuel pump failure may introduce internally failed component debris into the fuel system potentially causing fuel starvation. Fuel starvation may result in an unexpected loss of motive power, which can cause vehicle crash without prior warning.

Repair Description

FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles to replace the HPFP, update the Powertrain Control Module ("PCM") software, and inspect and, if necessary, replace additional fuel system components.

Recall Status

Incomplete but repair parts are not available
    Get Notified When Parts are Available

Rob S , Nov 18, 2021
  19. p-Bar

Thanks guys for educating me on my used truck purchase and not buy a 19 and up. Very happy with my low mileage 18 dually.

p-Bar , Nov 18, 2021
  20. bcbender TDR MEMBER

yep.... Y78 popped up on my VIN today also, we'll see how long it takes to get parts.......

upload_2021-11-18_11-50-7.png #ad

bcbender , Nov 18, 2021
    AH64ID and Rob S like this.